Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Poison Ivy/Poison Oak

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told 30 years ago that if you are sensitive to poison ivy, just take one leaf and put it between two slices of bread and eat it.
You will never get a reaction again.
Does anyone know if this works?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by j-fox
I was told 30 years ago that if you are sensitive to poison ivy, just take one leaf and put it between two slices of bread and eat it.
You will never get a reaction again.
Does anyone know if this works?
Never heard that one. Why don't you try it and get back to us?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Sounds like we have a volunteer to try the poison ivy sandwich idea.

I gotta get some Tecnu. Hey, I work at a nuke plant, I may need it some day.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you imagine trying to itch the bottom of your throat ??? I guess you would tecnically be cured if your throat swelled shut and you quit breathing .

PISTOL
Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One of the other workers told me that his grandpa used to make a tea out of the leaves. Would add it to his "tonic" and supposedly, would never get the itch.

Have you ever got it from the smoke when burning? Mom had the bedding on the line one time when dad lit off the fence line. If you want some extra tension from the other half, give it a try.

Ed
Old 08-27-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard that the smoke will really do a number on you.

A friend of mine told me of one of his friends (jr. high/high school age) who tried eating the leaves (one a day I think). Don't recall if he made the sandwich or not but in his case, it gave him a full body rash. Maybe the bread is an essential part of building the immunity but you won't catch me nibbling on poison ivy with or without bread.

I have heard good things about Tecnu. Good luck and happy scratching.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
Sounds like we have a volunteer to try the poison ivy sandwich idea.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There is some stuff on the market called zanfel, I have used it and its the best stuff I have used, wife didn't think it did much for her. Its about $30-$40 a tube but I think its worth it . Just my .02
Old 08-27-2005, 10:05 PM

There was a woman in Eastern NC that died several years ago from inhalation of the smoke from a leaf pile that had some poison ivy in it. She died of asphyxiation when her throat and sinuses swole shut - they did not get her intubated in time and apparently it was too late to do an emergency tracheotomy by the time they got her to the ER. The TV and newspapers always mention the danger each fall when it gets to be time to burn leaves.

Not my idea of the way to go.......
Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 PM

I pull poison ivy all the time and apparently its not poison to me, but i do know that when people get it, they like to get ahold of the swimming pool bleach that i use.... apparently it works really well for getting rid of poison ivy..... pour on, rince off.... repeat several times (or as my dad does after he think he gets into poison ivy, stick hands and arms into one of the 150 gallon bleach tanks )
Old 08-28-2005, 12:25 AM

Poison Ivy or Oak is terrible stuff. It cant be imagined how bad it is by a person that is immune to it. My brother doesnt get it....go figure ? He thought it was pretty funny when I helped him dig a trench above his house when we were young....winter time dug right thru a patch of the stuff that was just sticks at the time, I got it he didnt.
I use Tecnu you have to put the beeswax based product on first before going into the stuff. Then the other is to wash it off. The cops and fire dudes get shots every year to prevent them from getting it. I tried to get the shots one year and was told its not for you go away

Almost forgot, yep have used all of the above methods bleach, hot showers, comet, abrasive products, but no one so far has mentioned gasoline or rubbing alcohol.....tried it
Old 08-28-2005, 07:33 AM

Good responses!!
I asked the person, who told me about the sandwich, if you could die from it!!
I was told, they have seen it cure people who were sensitive to poison ivy.
I DON'T recommend anyone try this.
I am not sensitive to it. Usually only get a singe small blister at most.
The oil is the bad part of it. It is even worse in the smoke, if you burn it. My dad would just spray WD-40 in anyone around it.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:43 AM

50-50 mix of salcylic acid and vaseline has always worked for me. for those of u that dont know when i was growing up it was called canning powder. gowing up we mixed it with alcohol. never did like the burn from that. i think one needs a prescription for it now. using vaseline does away with the burn just gets warm and stays on better.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by sherod
Have you ever got it from the smoke when burning? Mom had the bedding on the line one time when dad lit off the fence line.Ed
Been there, done that. Lit a big ole brush pile on fire one evening. Pretty near didn't live to tell about it three days later.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 AM

When I was younger I had problems with poison oak/ivy. Now days it doesn't seem to bother me when I'm out in bushes. Now brother, he still has a problem with the stuff. What we use to use, and it sounds crazy, but, we would put Mud on the infected areas, instant relief, and when it would dry, wash it off, problem gone. The only thing that we could figure is due to the natural nutrients in the Mud it drew out the infection.

Quick Reply: Poison Ivy/Poison Oak