Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Poison Ivy/Poison Oak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hot bath with bleach and soak for a couple of hours.

MikeyB
Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you are not close but a trip to the shore for the weekend involving several hours in the ocean does the trick for me.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Aveeno is great stuff to help stop the itch and dry up the rash. You can get it at Wally World. Worked great on my kids.

Here's the link to the site so you know what to get.

http://www.aveeno.com/productListAction.do?pid=8000

Soak in the bath stuff and then use one of the lotions
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a good dose myself, all around the ankles. I have found that vigorious scratching on the Berber carpet on my steps before putting my socks on does NOT help. (feels as good as making love though).
I'm on the Calamine lotion, but I know it is not doing much.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Last time I had it I used Tecnu. Got it at Walgreens. Make sure you wash your clothes with it too or throw them away.

http://www.poisonoakandivy.com/
Old 08-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

Tecnu is the way to go, use as a soap to wash the area and then as a lotion to dry it. worksgreat if ya wash right after exposure too. good luck sleepin.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:37 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Wash all the ichy areas with vinegar. Apple cider vinegar will also work very well. In fact, vinegar works to relieve the itch of many insect bites as well.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 PM

Why not go get a shot at the Dr's office? Relief in less than 24 hours.
Nat
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 PM

bleach it, it works........
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Tecnu is the best product I've tried. There are some protective wipes of other stuff intended for where there is no place to wash, but I've found that rubbing the Tecnu on and rinsing off with bottled water if need be works better...

I used to be immune to all that stuff, but the more you are exposed over your life, the more your body reacts the next time.

Tecnu is mainly effective if you get it rubbed on in the first couple of hours, but is still worth doing within the first day or two.

After that, a cream with cortisone will be helpful, just don't use it anywhere near... an area I hope you didn't get poison oak on...

A buddy of mine was working in a ditch once, and didn't realize poison oak has such deep roots, or that contact with the roots are as bad, or worse, than the rest of the plant. He went home for lunch, used the bathroom, got the stuff everywhere, and ended up on an IV...

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:13 PM

That stuff is bad news. I had many years ago and had to get cortisone shots and take cortisone pills for weeks. Becareful where you scratch yourself, it spreads real easy if you know what I mean.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 PM

Sarna and/or Benadryl gel - doesn't hurt to take a Benadryl before bedtime either.

Unfortunately I have a been there, done that story about poison in the wrong place:

I was in process of buying my house when I got married (and bought the CTD the next week - talk about going up to ears in debt in a hurry ). I used to work for a surveyor so I got him to come out and turn the angles with me as rodman to save a little money on the survey. Well, one of the irons had some poison ivy around it that I had to move to get a good look at the point. Since poison bothers me only sporadically (or at least used to be that way) I didn't think anything about it. It was hot, I was sweating, when we finished up, I went inside, got something to drink, decided to relieve myself.

That night in the shower it became obvious to me that poison was still on my hands at tinkle time - did I mention that I had just got married? The bride was NOT happy . I now know that I could never survive in prison

Now it is disposable gloves and immediate hand washing if poison is involved - but RoundUp takes care of most of it.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The clorox method works, I have used it.
dido it dries up the oils
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Banned

Rub the spot with rubbing alcohol and get some poison ivy cream from wal greens or something. The alcohol helps cut through the oils and allows the cream to go straight into the stuff. I had the stuff all over my body (and I do mean ALL over my body) and doing this cleared it up with in a couple of days.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm using the shotgun method, clorox last night, benadryl this morning, and wifey is supposed to get me a appointment with the doc for a shot or two.

This stuff is murder for me. When I was about 10 and again when about 18, had to do the IV thing.

So far, not TOO much itching this morning, but I do believe it's going to pop out in "other" places soon.

I ought to ask for a BIG raise!!

Thanks again,

PinkgreasyitchyEd

Quick Reply: Poison Ivy/Poison Oak