Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Poison Ivy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Poison Ivy

[quote author=SFtopSGT link=board=10;threadid=8250;start=0#79655 date=1039740297]<br>Tosses DD4x4 another 5.9 and plugs in both bug zappers for entertainment ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ah, bug zappers. Yes, fond memories of watching my parents bug zapper at work on a quiet evening in the patio. Die, you sucker!!! Oh, sorry, this is a family show.<br><br>~Dave
Old 12-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=bigfoot link=board=10;threadid=8250;start=0#79698 date=1039748468]<br>Take it from some one that has been there. I’ve had the stuff in my mouth on the bottom of my feet. And on other more sensitive areas of my body that shall remain nameless. <br>If you have it bad break down and go to the Vet (doctor) and get the shot for it , things will begin to clear up over night if you wish to clear up faster add some over the counter medication .<br>You can believe me on this one, all I have to do is walk by the stuff and I’ll catch it. I catch it about 3-4 times a year working on fence and around the farm.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Been THERE, done THAT on parts that will remain nameless. I'm getting itchy just talking about it so I got you beat.<br>The shot will definately work. The 11 day dose works slowly but will dry it up but it takes the tase out of everything. Makes even filet mignon taste like tofu or something.<br><br>It's funny how it affects different people. There is a lady here in town that owns rental properties that I do some work on for her ocassionally. She can lay down in the stuff and doesn't even get a mark. She was pulling it down out of a tree one day when I went to give her a bill and I got it off the check that she handed me. Now that is bad.<br><br>(scratches red bubbly looking mark on right arm) CRAP....
Old 12-13-2002, 07:15 AM

Hey DD 4x4 step away from the monitor.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:01 AM

here is my method painful but very effective!! I am not trying to get anyone hurt so if you try this it is at your own risk!!!!!<br>Also understand i am EXTREMELY allergic to the stuff and when i get it i get it badso anything is better than the poison ivy!! This works best if you do it right when you get it and there isnt a lot of it. I take something pretty sharp (i usually use a knive) and scratch the area until it is oozing really good then dump clorox bleach in it then scream in pain then repeat a few times until i am satisfied it is good enough!!!!! <br>Like i said it hurts like a B!t*# but it works and it works quick!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Banned

Bleach huh? I'll use that as a last result. I've got it all over my left arm, my whole stomach, a couple of spots on my chest, and some in other places. It sucks. I've been putting calidryl on it and that is helping the itch. Problem is is that my pants keep rubbing it and pissing it off. I'll try the alcohol method when I get home from school. Thanks yall.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:16 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Geeze, I get the stuff so bad I shouldn't have read the entire thread. See the doctor for help. It's worth it. Tried bleaching my hands once, didn't seem to be effective on me. Might not have been soon enuff. <br><br>Further on removing the plant....<br>Be careful!!<br>It loses it's leaves in the winter, but is not dead! You can still catch it. If you opt to pull it up and burn it- wear old clothes/gloves/hat to burn afterwords. Pick a safe area where the smoke wont bother anyone/thing. The oil will go airborne and can really screw you up! Other wise try dumping rock salt or bleach(not together) on the plants root area. Both should dilute with time and weather.<br><br>
Old 12-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Administrator

I got it from a neighboor burning a pile of brush he had thrown it on and neglected to tell me.. It will definately spread in that manner too.

Watched an article one time where the Japanese use to paint their gold plated statues with the oil, that way they could tell who was stealing the gold plating. What a concept....
Old 12-13-2002, 07:57 PM

If you are wondering how potent uroshiol is - a tomb in Egypt was opened back in the 40's by a British explorer. Inside they found a very well-preserved crypt with all of the ceremonial items intact. One of the items was a vine - turns out they figured out it was poison ivy after several people got the rash. 3,000 years old and it still was potent!<br><br>My Dad and one of my brothers is like Top - they can wipe their butt with it and not be bothered. I get it worst when I have been sweating and get into it. <br><br>Humorous ivy moment - I did the survey on my house when I bought it and didn't pay any attention to the fact that one of the corner irons was wrapped up in it. I didn't have the itch start for about 2 days but the third day was the day I got married. The worst part is that the one-eyed monster was the most-affected area of my anatomy. Talk about an ignomious start to wedded bliss. To this day I wash up before and after if I have been anywhere I think there may have been poison ivy. There are some things that you only want to have happen once in your life, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Hate to ruin everyones day, but<br><br>I have never even seen the stuff, let alone touched it.<br><br>It must not like Utah's climate or something.<br><br>Boy scouts taught me what to look for and such, but haven't been able to use that training.<br><br><br>phox
Old 12-13-2002, 08:56 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Yeah your about the border area for poison oak West of the big river. Also, the more often you get it, the more sensative you become! :'(<br>
Old 12-13-2002, 09:23 PM

In the Pacific States, far left on the map for those in Rio Linda, we have the brother of Poison Ivy, his name, Poison Oak.

Poison Oak is everywhere in the foothills and lower mountain regions, the farther north you go the lower the elevation. It is also present near sea level in the costal regions.

On our 7 acres, when we first started clearing brush you could not walk 10 ft without finding some. We now have 4 acres 98% free of Poison Oak after use of gallons of Roundup, cutting and burning. Spent many trips to the MDs in the process.

This stuff grows like Poison Ivy however it's leaf is like and Oak leaf, nice and green in the spring but turns red in the fall. If you go hiking, anywhere off a maintained trail is likely to bring you into contact.

One remedy that really works is after contact to wash the area with Methyl Ethyl Ketone. MEK is a powerful grease and organic resin solvent. It can irritate sensitive skin but will remove cause of inflamation and blistering.

If you have outdoor pets that like to jump on your bed. They may be the source of contact with the resin. Washing with regular soak has little effect.

The California Department of Forrestry and Fire Protection had so many of their employees repeatedly disabled with Poison Oak that they worked with the University to find a solution. They now have an aerosol spray that can be applied to the skin prior to going into an area with Poison Oak to work. If properly used it does prevent the contact dermatitis of Poison Oak, Poison Sumac, and Poison Ivy.

I could tell many stories of greenhorns like my ex who set up camp in the middle of a patch of Poison Oak, or the golfing foursome who had one of them hit his ball into a patch of Poison Oak, and yes he kept slicing, hitting the stuff all over his buddies. If you have had a personal encounter with any of the three Poison Siblings &quot;you know the rest of the story.&quot;
Old 12-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't ..... Read ...... any more ....... Scratching ....itching<br>aaaaaahhhhhh
Old 12-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Banned

I tried the alcohol method and it seems to be working. The swelling is going down and the stuff is drying up. I don't know if I got ivy or sumac. All I know is that I will definately not be anywhere near that burn pile when we light it. The tree we were cutting down didn't have any vines or anything on it. Maybe there was some there before and the resin just clung on the tree. Who knows. Oh well.