Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Plumbing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plumbing question

Is anyone here familar with "Pex" plumbing? I just got a bid from a local plumber that does it all in this Pex stuff. Talking to a friend today he said to stay away from Pex because the brass fittings can fail, especially in well water that has certain mineral content.. Curious if anyone here has experiance with it? Thanks alot
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen it installed in several brand new houses with wells...

I've never heard of any problems with using these style fittings.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everybody I talked to loves the stuff, haven't heard about the fittings problem. But the water around here is pretty soft.
I'm not sure I'd drink the water if it is eating up brass fittings
Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's probably about all the plumbers are installing these days. It's some real good stuff. It's easy to install, yet may seem a littly pricy. The tools to make up the ends can be expensive. There are several ways. I have all the stuff to do the stainless band clamps on the ends. After I got all that, they started using a ring that slips over then end, then a tool stretches it and the fitting is slipped on real fast, and it shrinks back real fast making a permant connection with nothing to fail.

I like how it comes in diffrent colors. I'm builing a house for my in laws and we ran red for hot and white for cold water lines. Looks real nice. We got some really nice single nail one hole clamps to mount it all. If you want to invest a little in tools, it is definitley something you can do yourself. The labor you save may break even on the tools cost, but you'll have what you need to deal with anything or make any additions or changes. Thats what really gets pricy, when the wife decides she wants the sink on the other wall and the plumber has to come out and move some lines. And if your building a house and married, that is going to happen.

Make sure you nail a metal plate over each stud/joist that the pipe passes through. If you hit it with a nail or screw, you won't feel it like you will if you hit a copper pipe.