Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Please tell me about Albuquerque, NM

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please tell me about Albuquerque, NM

I am actually in town right now for a job interview and am thinking of moving out here. I know there is already a thread on the southwest but wanted to narrow the scope and keep all them Texans out of it

Had the interview yesterday. Today I am going to take a drive through the northern mountains in a round about way to Santa Fe.

What is the state like? Good place to raise a family? I have a wife and almost 4 month old to think of as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good place, climate, and schools. out door recreation around alb is super
Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
good place, climate, and schools. out door recreation around alb is super
Ruidoso, eh? Been there more than a few times, at the Inn just like all tourists I'm sure...

That and Alamogordo, especially when I was in the military.
----------

Now to answer the original question; I have never lived in NM but I have been there a lot over the years, starting from about 1990 and going through 2006 or so. I have always enjoyed Albuquerque. The climate is a LOT different than where you're from. NM gets a lot of sun, a lot of wind and it's very dry. Of course, it's the desert so I can't imagine the climate being any different. I don't know what the cost of living is or anything like that but my general answer is that I like the place.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Administrator
Ruidoso, eh? Been there more than a few times, at the Inn just like all tourists I'm sure...

That and Alamogordo, especially when I was in the military.
Yeah my father in law was at White Sands in the 80's, and loved it out there. But, is happy with Texas now.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM

I hate to make an unverified claim here, but I think there is a little problem with gangs in Abq. I don't like the place but that's because I'm a country boy. Just giving you my opinion, not trying to talk you out of it.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll take your word for it that there are Gangs in Alb. But there are gangs in Alamogordo, El Paso and just about every other place with more than a few thousand residents. Coming from Fairfax though, I would think the issue is childs play. I could be wrong.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM

I will tell you that I love New Mexico. I think it is one of the most unique states, in terms of scenery and terrain. There are some beautiful montains here and there is also some desolate desert terrain. I live in the latter part. I love the desert because of the climate and the ability to see for miles and miles but where I am is extremely windy. Abq is like a different part of the world compared to Hobbs.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Administrator
I'll take your word for it that there are Gangs in Alb. But there are gangs in Alamogordo, El Paso and just about every other place with more than a few thousand residents. Coming from Fairfax though, I would think the issue is childs play. I could be wrong.
Gangs dont worry me to much, they really are getting to be everywhere. Its why I CCW.

Other then the mountains around here I havent been greatly impressed. I dont believe the wife will be either when she sees the pics I have been taking of the place. I dont know, the job wouldnt be too bad. I think I would fit in very well there, but the wife has to be comfortable too.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gangs are a problem in Albq. Overall, it'sa growing town.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpPXToQ6R-U

that is all i know about the place...