Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Plantar Fasciitis

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plantar Fasciitis

Anybody else besides me have Plantar Fasciitis. Guys let me tell you it is a terrible foot and heel problem that just want go away. This has been going on for about three months now. I've been to the foot doctor twice now for steriod injection shots and still not cured. Let me tell yall something, that has to be the most painful shot i have ever had, it will make you light headed. The needle is about the size of a 16 penny nail, LOL. He gave me a splint to wear while i sleep, maybe this will help. Any suggestions to get this freakin foot to heal, this is miserable.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The wife went thru that. Never could clear it up untill she took a diffrent job where she's not up on her feet all day. It's real and it can be rough.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that PF is a tightening of the tendon that runs under the center of your foot, from the heel to the toes. This tendon is also connected to the Achilles tendon. One of the best things you can do is stretch, both the Achilles and PF. Can you touch your toes easily? There are many easy ways to stretch the Achilles, best to research. To work the bottom or your feet, get a piece of 2.5" plastic pipe, put it under your bare feet and roll back and forth, heel to toe. It will probably hurt like he!!, but over time, it will work. Don't do it in the morning, that is when you are the most tight. Good foot support pads and shoes also help. Surgery is the next option and I would only use that as a very very last resort.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
I understand that PF is a tightening of the tendon that runs under the center of your foot, from the heel to the toes. This tendon is also connected to the Achilles tendon. One of the best things you can do is stretch, both the Achilles and PF. Can you touch your toes easily? There are many easy ways to stretch the Achilles, best to research. To work the bottom or your feet, get a piece of 2.5" plastic pipe, put it under your bare feet and roll back and forth, heel to toe. It will probably hurt like he!!, but over time, it will work. Don't do it in the morning, that is when you are the most tight. Good foot support pads and shoes also help. Surgery is the next option and I would only use that as a very very last resort.
Good advice. Its basically the same thing my wifes doctor has told her.

I grab her toes and bend her foot back towards her a couple times a day. It hurts when I'm doing it,but it always feels better when I'm done.

She also had a custom set of insoles made.

My uncle actually had to have the surgery. It was the only thing that worked for him.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Quit making your wife kick your behind all over the house and maybe it will have a chance to heal ....... On second thought, you are a guy after all and the exercise might be good for it
Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Not to be insensative, but if you happen to be overweight, if you lose about 10% of your weight, that should help as well.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 PM

I've got a pretty bad case of PF...and it is all my Dodge Truck's fault!!!

2 years ago, climbing into the truck bed via the wheel well, then hopping back down to the concrete from the bed side rails, landing not quite flat-footed and a little un-even on the concrete... didn't hurt at all.. Just like I've always done... But the next day,...What in the WORLD did I do to my HEELS??? It got better and then I forgot and apparently did it again.. Now it NEVER goes away...
It's been worse,and it's been better.. But it's in both feet, and it still makes me hobble around cussing first thing in the morning.. But for the last 2 months, the left one is REALLY complaining the most and I can't get it to relent at all.
Co-worker swears by "heel inserts" for work boots. He had it bad and now has been able to shake it. Those haven't helped me much...
The best thing (for me) seems to be to try not to carry heavy items up and down 15 to 27 flights of steel grating stairs multiple times a day, keep the feet propped up on a desk whenever sitting down, and remember to NEVER jump down from the bed side-rail or tailgate of my truck ever again!!!

Aspirin before bed and getting lots of sleep seems to make a noticeable step improvement for me...

Buy a new pair of your favorite "comfy" everyday athletic type shoes before the padding in the bottom begins to get even slightly packed down and loses it's "cush"...
Swap pairs of shoes at least twice a day to try to keep your feet guessing...

It's a real bummer... I feel for ya'...

K.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Try the pipe guys, simple, cheap and effective. It works.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
Try the pipe guys, simple, cheap and effective. It works.
Tennis ball worked for me, plus it keeps me from doing the inadvertent "walking on a floating log" walk that the pipe would make my ungraceful self do! But PF is no joke-what helped mine is a great pair of running shoes, with the best arch support heel inserts that I could find, plus getting up and stretching every now and then while I am at work.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:58 AM

I know well the cortisone injection for PF. Had mine injected 3 times. Barbaric.
I did exercises, had expensive orthotics made. Went to orthopedic doctors and podiatrists. None of their advice worked.
What finally worked for me was a boot with a high heel and good arch support.
This was 22 years ago. To this day, if I wear my boots with a high heel (I wear Whites Packers), I'm fine. But if I wear a pair of flip flops on the weekend, I can feel it in my heel.
Bottom line is, your plantar fascia is over stretched. A high heel puts some slack in it.
Try on a pair of cowboy boots with high heel and see if your heel doesn't immediately feel better.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM

I also have PF. I have never had the steroid shots, dont want them. I had tried different shoes and insoles, best thing that worked for me was a pair of tactical boots.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i use the super thick mole foam padding, and cut a whole pack into triangles, then i layer half of that under the arch area of aftermarket gel insole.

then i take out the OEM insole, and put the other half of the foam on the OEM insole, and put them both back in the shoe (i wear a 11 but buy a 12 wide)

and that makes it bearable. i REALLY ache if i don't have enough padding to keep the arch stretched or supported.

HAPPY FEET worked for a while.
http://www.happyfeetinsoles.com/page/page/2786836.htm
they were $29 last year, but looks like $39 this year.

i need about 4 pair, (2 pair of dress shoes, tennis shoes, boots) so it's cheaper to do the foam and double insoles
Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 PM

I've had it pretty bad. I got orthotics made. They helped quite a bit. Also exercise....put a hand towel on the floor and bunch it up using your toes. And a modification on the pipe..take a plastic 1/2 liter drink bottle, fill it with water, freeze it and then roll it back and forth with your foot for a while when you're sitting watching TV or whatever. Losing a bit a weight helped me out too.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
RAF

I have it in both feet. I have orthotics for the work boots they help. I wear cowboy boots on the weekends and they work far better. I have had it for about a year. Some days I am just about worthless by the time I get home from work.

I have talked to a couple of people the had a procedure done that uses some type of altrasonic shock. They say it dosen't hurt but my insurance doesn't cover it and it would cost $4,000. Both people I talked to paid for it out of pocket (same insurance I have.) They have had no reoccuring problems in the 2 years. I just don't have the cash yet to take care of it.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Best thing that worked for me was buying the best boots I could afford. My left arch is a lot lower than my right due to a misfit footbed in a ski boot that I wore for three seasons and messed up my arch.

I wear White's boots now and I really don't like anything else on my feet, also a pair of orthotic footbeds properly fit will help a lot. Unfortunately they aren't a proven medical solution so most insurances don't cover them. Mine were around $250 about 5 years ago, but since buying higher quality footwear, I haven't used them.

Luck, Kurt