Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pit Bull attacks helpless porcupine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
RAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" NAKED PORCUPINE "
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by RAF
" NAKED PORCUPINE "
More like a dead naked porcupine. Again that dog is a bull terrier. It's not a pitbull. I'm staying out of the pitbull argument. I have 3 awesome pitbulls and have had probably a dozen of them over my lifetime. My oldest right now is 17 and although she has a thyroid problem she still runs around like a spring chicken. You guys know my opinion. God didn't make a better dog.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spunbearing
Again that dog is a bull terrier. It's not a pitbull. I'm staying out of the pitbull argument.
Thank you.

Everyone else take note, this thread is not about pitbulls.
It is about a relatively dumb dog that didn't learn anything after the first quill got stuck in his face, and kept on trying.

Aren't quills kinda like feathers?
Some are loose enough to not cause harm to the porcupine when they come out,
but having all of them come out in a short time frame can't be healthy.

phox
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

Glad to see there are so many people educated about Pitbulls here. That's a refreshing change from most places.

You can call the dog stupid for going back for more and never giving up, but there is no other animal or human in the world that I would pick to watch over my family. I bet nobody here has any doubts as to exactly how far that dog would go to protect it's owner.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Thank you.

It is about a relatively dumb dog that didn't learn anything after the first quill got stuck in his face, and kept on trying.
phox
I feel bad for the dog, I bet it was in some nasty pain . I wonder how it managed to not get one or both eyes poked out???
Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar440_6
Number one:

That is a bull terrier not an Am. Pit Bull. Bull terriers are about a billion times more hard-headed/persistent than a pit bull when they decide to go after something. (Those pictures have been floating around the net for a few years.)

Number two:

I'm not picking on anyone but this is something that seriously gets to me.

Ignorant comments like that are exactly why pit bulls are no longer allowed in the City of Miami and are being banned in many other cities.

Pit bulls DO NOT have "locking jaws!!!!" They are a very tenactious breed thus the responsibility of knowing how to control the animal lies upon the owner. Owning any large dog is a great responsibility but pit bulls require a greater knowledge.

I currently own my second pit and my cousin has owned 5 pit bulls. Neither my cousin nor myself have ever had a single problem with any of our dogs attacking something and not being able to get them to stop. Last summer my dog cornered a ground hog. When she got ahold of it, it bit her on the lip, but she refused to give up. However as soon as I said "Release! Drop it!" she let go of the ground hog and backed off. She kept it cornered but didn't attack again.

My cousin and I have put countless hours into researching, choosing and training our dogs. We chose dogs that did not show aggressive temperments and after bringing them home we spent as much time as we possibly could training them. However, there is always the chance that my dog could be provoked to the point that she won't listen to me. This is why whenever my dog is out of the house I am right by her side and in my back pocket there is a hard plastic wedge, a breaking stick. If she will not release on command I can use the breaking stick to force her to release. But I am happy to say I have never needed a breaking stick.

Pit bulls are some of the most loyal, loving canine companions one will ever find but you have to know the dog and the dog must respect you. I simply wish everyone would do some research before dismissing an entire breed simply because of its bad reputation. Sorry bout the rant...
I don't know a lot about dogs but I grew up with a lab and I never recall her attacking anything. Strange that you bring a hard plastic wedge whenever your dog is out of the house. Glad you haven't had to use it but it makes me uneasy.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder

Aren't quills kinda like feathers?
Some are loose enough to not cause harm to the porcupine when they come out,
but having all of them come out in a short time frame can't be healthy.

phox

Actually it leaves the porcupine vulnerable to attacks in the future, as it takes a few months to grow back.

Mine pounced on one when he was about 2 yrs old...He had them from his mouth, inside thighs and thru his sheath and into his you know what. I had to carry him 3 miles out to the road a friend that was with me drove us to the vet while I held him. Had to sedate him to get them out, now he stays back and barks at them. There are two types, those that learn and those that never do.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 AM

I live on a farm and my outside security dog is a Lab, german shepard mix. he is a very smart dog but he got into a porcuppine all but good about 2 years ago. $500 later and he was good to go. Not 2 months later he got it AGAIN !!!

while i like Pitbulls why is it that you always see news stories about them attacking people an children unprovoked? You never see where a killer poodle put the mailman in the hospital... lol
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ignorant comments like that are exactly why pit bulls are no longer allowed in the City of Miami and are being banned in many other cities.

The above qoute, is actually an ignorant comment and could not be any further from the truth. Comments are not the reason the pit bull or various breeds of the bull line are being outlawed in many cities throught out this country.

1, Because of this line of dogs tenacity, strength, size, it makes them ideal for "less than desireable" individuals to agrressively train them as guard and attack dogs.

2, They are used to protect all kinds of illegal activities.

3, They are bred for illegal fighting.

4, Their reputation is more than earned with the amount of unprovoked attacks they are responible for.

Here come some examples;

1, I am a medic on my cities pd swat team, guess what the number one injury is to the entry teams? yup you guessed it, I have had to treat more dog bite injuries than gsw's to team members and it is such a problem that all sop's and concurrent training had to be revamped to deal with it.

2, Summer 05, 77 year old attacked by pit bull while in one of the city parks walking her leashed shytzu (spelling?) We get dispached and find her actively under aggresive attack by a pit bull that witness's stated came out of nowhere, tore appart her dog and as she was trying to pull the leash back to protect her dog, the pitbull then turned on her, it took almost an entire clip from a Glock 21 to stop the pitbull's attack.

3, While stretching hot lines into a third floor apartment fire, I had to force a couple doors so the pump companies could get in there and do there job, the second door I forced open guess what was waiting silently on the other side?
Yes sir, a pitbull that came out of the apartment in a state of absolute insanity, it went after the FF on the nozzle, I attempted to bury my TNT tool in its back to protect my coworkers, well that resulted with the dog turning on me and biting off the top part of my right thumb , my capt. wound up hitting it on its side with the ads end of his haligan tool then the dog hauled arss. I don't think it was the blow from the tool that forced that dog to run as much as it was the heat and fire now blowing out into the hallway.

These are just a couple of reasons that these breeds of dogs are being outlawed across this country, the simple fact that anyone would have to carry a wedge and pry tool is proof enough of this breeds unpredictabilty.