Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

phone bill shocker....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I travel for work and sometimes I have to download software "patches". One time I couldn't get our 800 number to work so I had to use the regular room phone. The connection speed was incredibly slow so the download took 1-1/2 hours. The room charge was $110.00 the phone charge was $160.00. Glad I wasn't paying!!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:17 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

the last time I traveled very far, I ran thru 300 cellular minutes on a "nation wide" plan from cingular only to find out that section of Wyoming wasn't included in my "nation wide" plan. Thank god for company phones...

the best solution I have found is to carry a cell phone, even if its a prepaid.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, I'm stuck with it.... Because they don't recognize canadian calling cards they bill at the highest rate possible. Collect daytime rates.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how Cal. hotels handle prepaid calling cards but I usually use ATT prepaid calling cards when I travel. Dial the 800 number and the input your code and the number that you want to call and you're on for around $0.04 per minute (depending on the rate on the card that you have). Need more minutes? Charge them to your credit card.

I've never had a hotel charge me for making an 800 call from the room but I'm sure that there are some that do. Always have to check BEFORE you dial.

More and more I look for hotels with hi-speed internet access included with the room to avoid those pesky dial-up speed downloads.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on how often you travel and if you have access to a broadband connection where you are ?!! Look into the VOIP (Voice Over Internet Provider) I have Packet 8 and it costs 20.00 a month unlimited calls anywhere, anytime in the U.S They also have international plans. Be creative and you can take your phone with you and make calls anywhere all you need is the broadband hook up. It's cool and it seems there are plenty of Voice Over providers out there!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by westcoaster
Well, I'm stuck with it.... Because they don't recognize canadian calling cards they bill at the highest rate possible. Collect daytime rates.
Next time you're in the States, go to Wal-mart or a truckstop and get a cheap caling card. I've used them from motel rooms before. No problem.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I talked to my employer about this and he suggested I set up my voicemail at work to transfer to my home number and use the company 1800 number to access the voicemail..... Free phone calls home.....
I'm still pizzled at myself for not getting a rate quote (one of the options) before making the phone calls.....
Old 03-05-2005, 06:11 PM

I once had a $400 phone call from Baharain. We were told "talk all you want, the phone company is picking up the charges". We found out later that the promotion stopped the day before.

As far as VOIP, it works great at home with my DSL, but hasn't been all that reliable here at the hotel in Ventura. Don't be fooled into believing that all you need is broadband - you need a decent broadband connection. I think there's too much nodal congestion on the hotel's network during the week, but its been ok today (Saturday). Even my neighbor at home has some issues with his VOIP over his cable broadband. He thought his equipment was malfunctioning until he brought it over and hooked it up to DSL to find out it works great. BTW, it doesn't work well over a wireless network either.

In any event, I'm not ready to cancel the POTS for VOIP just yet.

Anxiously waiting for Verizon to wire my neighborhood for FIOS.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:33 PM
DPG

In between teaching jobs I ran a hotel for 5 years. Hotels routinely charge the highest available rate regardless of when you make the call from the room. That's how they make lots of money on their phone service. I always use alternative means (payphone and calling card or my cell) when I'm traveling.