Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

PETA is influencing auto makers to offer cloth interiors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PETA is influencing auto makers to offer cloth interiors

Remember me? I hate gray leather. I'm the guy who wants to see more colors offered in new car interiors. How I would freak-out to see a red, blue or even a green premium cloth seat offered as an option in a fine (luxury) automobile. Thank goodness for PETA. Hallelujah!

AUTO INDUSTRY REPORT: Mercedes to offer cloth

February 9, 2005

Luxury automaker Mercedes-Benz, which had been the target of an anti-leather campaign by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, agreed Tuesday to offer a leather-free option across its U.S. line.

The leather-free vehicles will be sold by special order. They will become available as the company tests alternative materials. Among the vehicles to be available leather-free is the new M-Class SUV, which rolls out in the spring.

Nat
Old 02-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Old 02-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Like all the PETA-Types will now rush out and buy Mercedes vehicles,....right?

Doesn't oil come from animals? (dinosaurs)
And let's not forget all those poor little Naugas that gave their lives to give us naugahyde.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Ed, that nauga thing must be before my time, but it says that the cloth will be a special order from Mercedes Benz. In other words, they're going to be making more money off the cars the sell with cloth than thse with the standard leather, and those with the leather will be cheaper, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I love leather seats. The best are those King Ranch edition Fords; while the driveline might be spaghetti, the ineriors blow my breath away. Very, very nicely done.

Only thing nicer would be to take your truck down to the saddleomaker and give him $20,000, come back with heavy saddle leather seats and trimming, all engraved ad patterened, silver rivets holding it all together. That would be nice...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Begle1
Well Ed, that nauga thing must be before my time........
Genuine Naugahyde! Unfortunately, it's not before mine. Nothing like sitting down in shorts on semi-molten naugahyde seats that have been baking all day in the summer sun. How can I forget!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That makes me want to vomit......... DO people not have anything better to do with their lives??? You don't think they should make cars with leather seats?? Fine, don't buy one.

Reminds me of the "Save a cow. Eat a Vegetarian" thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I will Upholster my rig in tree hugger hides.
On second thought I could never get the stench out.

why do tree huggers live in wooden houses?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 PM

I have never understood the facination with leather interiors. My 01 sport gasser i bought from country singer Doug Stone has a custom leather interior in it . He had the door panels and seats done in a beutiful black leather before i got it.
Absolutly love the looks of it. Absolutly hate to sit in it. Keep sliding forward on the cushion-hot and sticky in the summer
Old 02-14-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by tool
That makes me want to vomit......... DO people not have anything better to do with their lives??? You don't think they should make cars with leather seats?? Fine, don't buy one.

Reminds me of the "Save a cow. Eat a Vegetarian" thing.
What I meant to say was, "I hate gray." I can live with leather, but I prefer loose pillow cloth. I just want a matching, all one color interior complete with matching upholstered door panels, carpet and oh yeah, headliner. Long as it's not pink that is.
Nat
Old 02-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I like leather but not a big fan of it in the car. Do love those King Ranch seats though as mentioned above. I do have a question for those peta people though. Where do they think all that leather comes from? Do they think we are killing cows just for the leather. Maybe for some of the real exotic stuff, but certainly not cowhide used in auto interiors. That is just a by-product of the slaughterhouse kill floor (which the slaughterhouses get a nice revenue stream from). Every cow we eat starts out wrapped in a leather hide and they dont just throw that stuff away. Might as well use all of it.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I like that bumper sticker which reads PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals!

These people are consumed with self-hatred. They would rather see thousands of humans die of starvation and disease rather than allow animals to be used for food or medical trials.

God gave us dominion over the earth and ALL of it's creatures. Gotta go, I hear a Sonic burger calling.

Edwin
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 PM

I'm no fan of PETA but hey, by whatever means. I am tired of being forced to buy leather at the top trim group that is offered by domestic automakers. Some of us live in the southwest desert, getting into a vehicle that has been sitting out in the sun all day when it is 115 degrees is no picnic.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Nevada
I'm no fan of PETA but hey, by whatever means. I am tired of being forced to buy leather at the top trim group that is offered by domestic automakers. Some of us live in the southwest desert, getting into a vehicle that has been sitting out in the sun all day when it is 115 degrees is no picnic.
Exactly! Same in the mountains of NC. One of these days I maybe shopping for my last ride, and I hope by then they're not lining coffins with leather. Down there, I imagine leather gets rather cold too.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:13 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Yeah. I’m not much on leather either. But it is not because of PETA. I don’t like leather because it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. My wife has leather seats in her car and I don’t like them but it was the only thing you could get in her car. Stupid in my opinion. I prefer cloth myself.

I cannot stand PETA. In fact I hate PETA. I did not evolve to the top of the food chain to only eat plants. While I agree there are some idiots out there that kill just to be killing (I watched a hunting show on “Outdoor Life” where some fool killed a mother bear with a cub for no reason other than just to kill). If you kill for sport and eat what you kill I have no problem with it. But just killing to be killing…. Whatever.

Britt

Old 02-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Been posted before:

Still cracks me up.

Quick Reply: PETA is influencing auto makers to offer cloth interiors