Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Should Cellphone Use be Outlaw'd While Driving?
Yes
52.22%
No
47.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

People Talking on Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
F-1, NASCAR and Indy drivers don't usually have to stop for red lights every other block, pay attention to stop signs, school zones, blind corners, road construction, folks looking for yard sales, drivers who are lost, Pizza delivery drivers, pedestrians, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, kids, dogs, whatever running out in the street, & "Killer Q-Tips" in Lincolns driving in the fast lane at 10 mph UNDER the speed limit, and oncoming traffic,
Oh and let's not forget......Other drivers on cellphones.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe if instead of stating my case for exsiting laws and asking asimple question I'll will be enlightened.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH TICKETING PEOPLE UNDER EXISTING LAWS THAT COVER DANGEROUS, IRRATIC, INCOMPETENT DRIVING? WHY DOES THERE NEED TO BE A LAW THAT SPECIFICALLY STATES CELL PHONES?

Please help me understand.
Randy
Old 08-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by newriverSpecon
Maybe if instead of stating my case for exsiting laws and asking asimple question and I'll will be enlightened.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH TICKETING PEOPLE UNDER EXISTING LAWS THAT COVER DANGEROUS, IRRATIC, INCOMPETENT DRIVING? WHY DOES THERE NEED TO BE A LAW THAT SPECIFICALLY STATES CELL PHONES?

Randy
Old 08-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Maybe if instead of stating my case for exsiting laws and asking asimple question I'll will be enlightened.

Randy
Because the only time those laws are enforced, is after someone has already been involved in a negligent collision. (Notice I didn't use the word accident)

I prefer NOT to be the individual under their vehicle while the LEOs investigate and write that person a $50 ticket for Failure to pay full attention while driving.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:04 PM

The way I've thought about it is the equal pertection consept in the constitution, that means that nobody [ police , fire , ambilance, delivery .......] can be a speacial class and not obay the law. next is like gun control , the object is not the problum , its the behavour . the next is there are too many laws already , and they just make things worse becouse then only the lawyers can understand the law , now what happens is if you do'nt know the law how can you obay it, keep a copy of the constitusion in your pocket and read it when you have a question and you'll find that it speaks plane langage and you will not need anybody to interprit it for you , once your fully informed your are responcible for obaying the law. I've come with saing that helps to make my point , LIFE IS HASERDOUS BAN IT.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about talking on a cell phone while driving a motorcycle?

Yes, I've seen it, and no, not with a headset either.

Ok, it wasn't the freeway, but still doing 40 or so.

No, it wasn't me just prior to my graceful pavement dance.

phox
Old 08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know...they make "hands free" cell phone kits.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:28 PM

Randy
So, pulling me over and giving me a ticket because my tires stick out a little bit, my windows have a slight tint, the CHP said the truck was too noisy? Thats ok under the existing laws? But some moron, in the fast lane holding up traffic, swerving, talking on his cell phone, who won't even move so the CHP on his tail can pass, the CHP gets behind me and rides my tail until he can get around the guy on his cell phone? These are some good existing laws we have.

P.S. THE CHP WAS ON HIS CELLPHONE AS WELL?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm very sick of police using the phrase "ignorance of the law is no excuse". Our state's Motor Vehicle Laws & Statutes book is over an inch thick. New laws are passed every day without the public knowing about them. I'm sorry, but I can't memorize every detail about that book.

Example. My stwpson's girlfriend was just busted for a violation. She is 18 years old. She was at a friend's house, and a mutual friend wanted to pick up some beer. She had been drinking and wanted to get more. The 18 y.o. thought that she probably shouldn't be driving, so she drove her to the store. The 21 y.o. came out of the store and the liquor commisioner happened to be there and busted the 18 y.o. for having alcohol in her car. She hadn't had a drop to drink, and was accompanied by the 21 y.o., yet she was still busted.

The 21 y.o. got NOTHING. But in our state apparently they passed a law stating that even someone of legal age can't have alcohol in the vehicle if there is a minor there. This may be a common law, but I hardly ever drink and never had to worry about it, so this is the first I've heard about it. Its stupid, needless laws like some of you are proposing, why an 18 y.o. who didn't drink and did nothing morally wrong was busted on a lame law.

And lets not even get into the Constitution. I'm sooo sick of people crying about all of their "rights". They should read the Bill of Rights to see exactly RIGHTS they really have. No, they don't have a right to live off my tax money and buy crack with it. They don't have the right to live in a condo/apartment/house furnished with my tax dollars. They don't have the right to run to the hospital and have hangnails pulled out free of charge while the rest of us have to pay. Free bus service to school isn't a right. Tax-sponsored schooling isn't even a right!

Jim
Old 08-26-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Buckshotmckee
So, pulling me over and giving me a ticket because my tires stick out a little bit, my windows have a slight tint, the CHP said the truck was too noisy? Thats ok under the existing laws? But some moron, in the fast lane holding up traffic, swerving, talking on his cell phone, who won't even move so the CHP on his tail can pass, the CHP gets behind me and rides my tail until he can get around the guy on his cell phone? These are some good existing laws we have.

P.S. THE CHP WAS ON HIS CELLPHONE AS WELL?

You just made our point. Half of what you just listed are some of the useless laws we have because new laws are made instead of enforcing new ones. The other half of what you said is a good example of things covered by existing laws that should have been enforced, BUT WEREN'T.

"because my tires stick out a little bit, my windows have a slight tint, the CHP said the truck was too noisy?"

-Good example of useless laws that don't do anything to make the world a safer place.

"But some moron, in the fast lane holding up traffic, swerving, talking on his cell phone, who won't even move so the CHP on his tail can pass"

Existing laws cover that. Most states already have laws requiring the driver to be in control of his vehicle at all times and drive in a safe manner. They also require that driver's pull over for emergency vehicles. So instead of wasting his time giving you crap for your tires, noise, etc., the CHP should have been busting the other guy who was doing something wrong. So do we need another law that says the CHP needs to specifically single out cell phone users? No. How about getting the CHP to pull dangerous drivers over instead of the guy driving down the road safely with a slightly loud performance exhaust, or too high of a lift kit, etc.

Jim
Old 08-26-2005, 12:52 PM

This is no different than saying guns kill people, so lets outlaw all guns.....problem solved right? Yeah, grow up.

Before there were cell phones these sensless accidents were still happeneing, and they will continue to happen. Life isnt fair, so get over it.

I'll take my chances with a driver on a cell phone over a drunk driver anyday. How come all you wine-heads arent trying to ban alcohol? Could it be the same reason you dont want to ban guns?

Guns/Alcohol/Drugs/Cell Phones dont kill people................People kill People. Live with it.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:07 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
This is no different than saying guns kill people, so lets outlaw all guns.....problem solved right? Yeah, grow up.

Before there were cell phones these sensless accidents were still happeneing, and they will continue to happen. Life isnt fair, so get over it.

I'll take my chances with a driver on a cell phone over a drunk driver anyday. How come all you wine-heads arent trying to ban alcohol? Could it be the same reason you dont want to ban guns?

Guns/Alcohol/Drugs/Cell Phones dont kill people................People kill People. Live with it.
Holy Cow...... I agree with you. (Guess I'll probably see that in your signature )

I'm against everyone using their cell phone while driving........ except me!

Who cares? Yeah it sucks but so what? It's not going to stop. I'm not going to stop and I HATE cell phones. They're just a natural inconvenience of life these days.

Britt

Old 08-26-2005, 02:15 PM

well i just have to agree, we have more than enough laws on the books right now. they just need to enforce them, why they don't i do not know. face it slow drivers cause more wrecks than any other one cause. but when has anyone seen some one get pulled over for doing 50 in the fast lane.
o yea i like to have my cell phone in one hand, a beer in the other with a cigarette hanging out my mouth and the radio cranked wide open on todays favorite snoop dogg. while i cruise 35 miles per hour in a 50 mile per hour zone. because i am warped in the head and think it is my god givin right to make other people misserable.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by gunracer1
i like to have my cell phone in one hand, a beer in the other with a cigarette hanging out my mouth and the radio cranked wide open on todays favorite snoop dogg. while i cruise 35 miles per hour in a 50 mile per hour zone.
Whoa....... You and I are more alike than I thought. How did you know what I do on the weekends?????

Britt

Old 08-26-2005, 03:19 PM

Hmm, I'm still in the dark. If I understand you all want specific laws that outlaw everything but driving so that LEO's can continue to not enforce them.

Just like non-criminal shootings and drunk driving the NEGLIGENT INCIDENTS will not stop just because the laws are passed. They won't even lessen. There has to be a societal change in peoples thinking to fix it. Which would take care of LEO's having to enforce the law.

Why do people control their anger? Because it is the right thing to do. Why should people pay attention when they drive? Because they are putting many other people at risk if they don't. Laws have not stopped all the other NEGLIGENT collisions. Why would this be any different?

Randy