Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pennsylvania ATV/MC riding (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pennsylvania ATV/MC riding (questions)

For the folks who ride in PA,
My wife and I want to take our stuff up to PA sometime and ride some trails when we go back home. As an out of stater, does anyone know what I have to do to ride legally in the state? Will I need to register anywhere, show insurance, have special stickers etc etc? One of the places I plan on riding is in the Allegheny National Forest.

Thanks,
~Rob
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Banned

Rob,

The link you provided will have the answers to your questions. If you don't find them on the website itself ring the U.S. Forestry Service. One of the rangers will surely provide you with everything you need.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:17 AM

Rob, here's a link (may be a little dated) to some riding area's you might be interested in. Scroll down for the PA locations:

http://www.enduro.4t.com/riding.htm
Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by smokindog
Rob,

The link you provided will have the answers to your questions. If you don't find them on the website itself ring the U.S. Forestry Service. One of the rangers will surely provide you with everything you need.
Thanks Nick,
I see they require insurance, which I have and a permit for the ANF areas, wonder if I need other permits for elsewhere in the state.

Bummer that Ohio and PA got rid of their reciprocity agreement

Originally Posted by bulabula
Rob, here's a link (may be a little dated) to some riding area's you might be interested in. Scroll down for the PA locations:

http://www.enduro.4t.com/riding.htm
Cool,
Thanks bulabula,

~Rob
Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM

All Right!!

Another guy going to PA!!! Well if your going to ride the ANF area I highly recomend that rea. Rocky gap, willow creek, and timberline ATV trails are all great for you and your wife. The Marienvile Bike trail is tougher than the others, plan on spending a good 6 hours to do that (depending on your skill level)

Basically you need to buy your ANF permit for each quad. it's a good fee and it's helped maintain the trails 100%. They used to be very rough and the fee has helped out tremendously. You do need insurance and it's only liability. And then you can register your quad in PA too. In fact since Rhode Island dosn't have ATV registration, I keep mine registered to PA.

PA registration: 30 bucks for 2 years
ANF trail fee : 35 bucks each year
Insurance: Progressive 90 a year

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, area's to camp, anything hit me up. Here are some pictures of us there, it's truely a great area. If you do the bike trail be carefull, there are some 300 foot pluss drops and big rocks you can get hit on. Other than that, were there every Memorial weekend for opening day (number 88 race bike) or my wolverine which I mudd on. It's fun.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xtream...to88/my_photos

Those pictures are our two camp sites. The first few are along the road at Pigs ear, no camping alowed anymore. The last few are at the timberline trail head.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xtream...to88/my_photos

A few pictures from there

Enjoy, if you need anything else e-mail me at Spoonert@***.net
Old 10-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Also

Depends on where else you go, there is a place around Tower city that is a club so you need to know somebody, or pay a fee. most of the places you ride require a fee to help maintain everything since they don't get much from the state. I've been to marienville for 10 years now, and while it's not much it's still fun to do.

I may head to hatfield mcCoy one day too. There supposed to have a ton of trails down there.