Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Peaoats Breakroom 1/12-18

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Chris, you might be on to something there. Although, if we start the 'sanitarium' discussion, we know we are going to end up talking about the lunatics running the asylum.
Dont we just pretty much talk about ourselves already?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ran a brand new 461 Stihl saw a friend bought. He was telling me what a great saw it was and how I should switch from Husky, so he let me try it in a 30" piece of hickory. I wasn't impressed. He said I was crazy. I went and got my old 272. The 272 is 4.9 HP, his Stihl is supposed to be 6. We decided to race. Hacked thru the hickory log with my Husky while he was stihl only 2/3rds of the way thru his cut. I said tell me again how great that saw is. He owns a Ford too. I guess you CAN get used to disappointment if you're subjected to it enough!
My little Stihl does alright, it's a lot better than the 141 Husky we (tried to) replace the 288 with.

He even has 4CC's on you.

Have you run any of the new autotunes yet? I was reading some reviews, and people were complaining about lack of power out of the box, but Husky says you need to run it a while so it can "learn" the carb settings.

Still like the idea of the lighter weight over the 288's. Think that could be part of why I like the little Stihl, too.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Have you run any of the new autotunes yet?
No. And I probably won't. They're still making the regular old mechanical saws and that's what I'll stick with IF I should ever have the money to buy a new saw.

Still like the idea of the lighter weight over the 288's. Think that could be part of why I like the little Stihl, too.
They're lighter for a reason y'know! You wanna hang on to a heavy saw, try a Dolmar or an Echo. Both fair saws, but use one for 8 or 10 hours and you'll swear you aged 10 years in a day!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon fellow DTRotarions !

Well at 6:22 yesterday afternoon my Son &wife had an 8 lb 8 oz baby girl 20 inches long .

kind of fitting she is #8 # 9 due in march .
Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Most awesome news Old Dog.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by old dog
Afternoon fellow DTRotarions !

Well at 6:22 yesterday afternoon my Son &wife had an 8 lb 8 oz baby girl 20 inches long .

kind of fitting she is #8 # 9 due in march .
Your son and your wife had a child?

Ahhh just kidding buddy..Congratulations! and I hope you spoil her rotten
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Your son and your wife had a child?

Ahhh just kidding buddy..Congratulations! and I hope you spoil her rotten
That was my thought, too. Then I read it slowly a few times. He should have typed it slower for us, so we could unnerstan it better.
No. And I probably won't. They're still making the regular old mechanical saws and that's what I'll stick with IF I should ever have the money to buy a new saw.
The dealer here only has the autotunes on the rack, but I see the regular ones are a fair bit less expensive. I'll have to sell my 288's first, unless I have a really good year this year.
They're lighter for a reason y'know! You wanna hang on to a heavy saw, try a Dolmar or an Echo. Both fair saws, but use one for 8 or 10 hours and you'll swear you aged 10 years in a day!
Funny how you worry about things like that, when it didn't really matter much when you were half your age, ain't it?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Congratulations Grampa Claude! She is #8 and they're expecting #9 in March? How are they doing that, adopting?

Funny how you worry about things like that, when it didn't really matter much when you were half your age, ain't it?
I was younger when I was half my age too. Spent a lot of time hanging onto a McCulloch Pro 10-10. Powerful saw but you could hold down the fort with them they were so heavy.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM
DTR Mom

STIHL harping on the professionals saw? man, peek at ax men, lumberjack competitions and the like.....husky is only a t shirt size around there.
just love mine..

Best wishes and hearty handshake to ya Claude! you gotta explain this son/wife thingy.....age difference and all...or you live in Georgia...

getting used to disappointment describes my football expertise. all the teams I wanted to win, didn't. gosh I hate the NE patriots.

ok Shorts, I am sooo ready to be relaxed and in the sun! where we goin?

did more work on the Harley, only the rear fender needs to be attached. did some fine detail work with pinstriping, I use a black reflective trim. sharp!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Howdy Heidi, Great news about the kid Claude, evening to everybody else.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
also found out that one commonly used by the US army and now banned has been causing hallucinations.
Yeah. Not saying it was the reason he went off, but Robert Bales was taking mefloquine when he killed all those Afghan civilians.
That was despite rules saying not to give it to people who have had prior brain injuries.

With that said, you would be ok taking it. Nobody would notice if it made you act weird.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 AM

STIHL harping on the professionals saw? man, peek at ax men, lumberjack competitions and the like.....husky is only a t shirt size around there.
just love mine..
I have to wonder about those Stihls. They all start on the first or second pull for them. Must be a lot of aftermarket parts. Or a TON of editing. But a ton of editing is what you get when you pay them to use your saws on the show.
I watched a couple episodes of that show tonight. I have to wonder, are they really that stupid, or do they act like it for the cameras?
Rygard hired another outfit to cut trees and clear a road and a new landing, and as they scouted the road, found the tree holding the lower end of the yarder cable, and it was where they wanted the road. So what do they do? They cut the tree down, without even checking with Rygard. Brilliant!
A few minutes later they are hauling in their dozer. The old man is in the flag car, 50 yards ahead of the dozer. One of Rygard's trucks stops on a curve when he finally sees it coming, and won't back up, and the kid hauling the dozer, instead of pulling over so the log truck can pass, pulls right up on the bumper of the truck his dad was doing the lousy pilot-car-ing in, forcing Rygard's truck to back out of the way. If they had any sense, he'd have been a mile ahead to make sure there was room when their truck got there.
Then the guys in Alaska have two rookies on the slope, and apparently a rookie in the yarder, and they are standing in the path of the snatchblocks and the guy running the machine doesn't understand smooth, just flips levers over, and is panicking because they are yelling at him for getting the cables whipping around at them. All that was needed was for the guys on the slope to move 3 feet either way from directly under the overhead cable, and wah-lah, problem solved!
Then the crazy guy in the swamp- randomly firing a lever-action carbine into the water to scare off an alligator. Then sticks a long-barreled rovolver in his waistband and jumps in the water. Couldn't mark the spot and come back later? They have pretty cheap hand-held GPS that can do that for you. Bet it cost less than that fancy shiny new .45 ya got!
And the guys in Florida run over another boat when the guys who have been trying to pull the logs out without a permit can't get the motor to start. The way the guys in the little boat hesitated and then jumped off, man, talk about obvious it was contrived! The guy on the back of the boat even ran the length of it to jump off the end where the camera could see him!

Your argument for Stihl, using axmen, is invalid.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
STIHL harping on the professionals saw? man, peek at ax men, lumberjack competitions and the like.....husky is only a t shirt size around there. just love mine..
Well it kinda stands to reason you'd love your Stihl Heidi, it IS kind of a 'girlie' saw; light-weight, not really powerful enough to bury in the wood or hurt yourself with and no one would be surprised if they came out with them in color-coordinated assortments that match your shoes!

I watched a couple episodes of that show tonight. I have to wonder, are they really that stupid, or do they act like it for the cameras?
It's acting. And Stihl pays a LOT of money to be the 'featured saw'. I belong to another forum for loggers and forestry professionals, and they were just talking about this last night. Most of the guys on that forum are in that area so they know the Rygards and all the others. Here's what was said in one of the threads:

Colin Fyler
This axeman show is making me feel sick to my stomach. If this is how real loggers think their work happens I guess I need to just quit. My momma always told me if I don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. But this is getting to the point where I can't take it anymore.

Chandie Morse Bartell
All of us make fun of the show. Axe Man filmed several locals and they wanted "our" guys to cuss, fight, and "fake" shots. They wouldn't do it, and Potlatch told our loggers if you want to make movies, move to Hollywood.

Kevin Crawford
I stopped watching that show years ago. To many foul mouthed idiots and bull crap. I hope people do not think that is how loggers really act.

Corey Bubar
I can't stand that show have not watched inn a looooooong time see preview and just makes me mad.and to think there is people out there think that is really how we log. You would not own a outfit long acting liked that.

Howard Mason
I come from a logging family in castle rock and growing up my dad and uncles were true loggers along with a alot great families from that area that show gives those good hard working men a bad name i think.

Rich Rector
The only good thing about the show is when I change the channel.

So if you like drama and fiction mixed together in the woods, Axemen is for you!

It is Monday, January 13th, and I am in beautiful downtown Jackson Michigan. yay

1794 - U.S. President Washington approved a measure adding two stars and two stripes to the American flag, following the admission of Vermont and Kentucky to the union.

1854 - Anthony Faas of Philadelphia, PA, patented the accordion.

1906 - Hugh Gernsback, of the Electro Importing Company, advertised radio receivers for sale for the price of just $7.50 in "Scientific American" magazine.

1928 - Ernst F. W. Alexanderson gave the first public demonstration of television.

1942 - Henry Ford patented the plastic automobile, which allowed for a 30% decrease in car weight.

1966 - Robert C. Weaver became the first black Cabinet member when he was appointed Secretary of Housing and Urban Development by U.S. President Johnson.

1982 - An Air Florida 737 crashed into the capital's 14th Street Bridge after takeoff and fell into the Potomac River. 78 people were killed.

1989 - Bernhard H. Goetz was sentenced to one year in prison for possession of an unlicensed gun that he used to shoot four youths he claimed were about to rob him. He was freed the following September.

1990 - L. Douglas Wilder of Virginia, the nation's first elected black governor, took the oath of office in Richmond.

1992 - Japan apologized for forcing tens of thousands of Korean women to serve as sex slaves for Japanese soldiers during World War II.

2002 - U.S. President George W. Bush fainted after choking on a pretzel.

Today's thought:
It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.

C0ffee and ph00 is ready. I just had greasy bacon and potatoes at this catering facility we're training at today, tomorrow and Wednesday. As a caterer, I have no idea how they've stayed in business this long.

TOB&F today please.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by old dog
Hey, congrats Mr. Claude. Happy all came out OK. Now, go change a diaper. .....................................

Grabbing a ph00 and on to more "stuff." Never ends.

Bob
Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Administrator

This place is as dead as a Stihl today!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats Claude !!!!!

Quick Reply: Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Peaoats Breakroom 1/12-18