Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Peaoats Breakroom 1/12-18

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Peaoats Breakroom 1/12-18

Goodies are on the counter, fresh coffee, ph00, cider ready for you. I cleaned the place up since "someone" else is still sleeping, vacuumed the chairs, swept the floor, covered the dragon. Come, sit a spell and chat and warm your toes - fire is roaring.

Bob
Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
heheh super scott MIGHT need that V8 hungry saw, just to feed the boiler when it is cold. or a lotta friends.....
No, I don't need it. I have my processor. That processor IS my friend.

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Buried water lines to the house? How well are they insulated? Could taper off wood usage once the ground around them gets warmed up.
Yup, buried. But I'm only losing .87° between the stove and the house, and that's 237 feet!

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
So, the dragon is fed, the morning food is setup and the stove is full of Chaikwa's fresh cut hardwood.
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Come, sit a spell and chat and warm your toes - fire is roaring.
Stop wasting my firewood!

Today is Sunday, January 12th.

1896 - At Davidson College, several students took x-ray photographs. They created the first X-ray photographs to be made in America.

1908 - A wireless message was sent long-distance for the first time from the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

1915 - The U.S. House of Representatives rejected a proposal to give women the right to vote.

1915 - The U.S. Congress established the Rocky Mountain National Park.

1932 - Hattie W. Caraway became the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate.

1940 - Soviet bombers raided cities in Finland.

1942 - U.S. President Roosevelt created the National War Labor Board.

1943 - The Office of Price Administration announced that standard frankfurters/hot dogs/wieners would be replaced by 'Victory Sausages.'

1945 - During World War II, Soviet forces began a huge offensive against the Germans in Eastern Europe.

1948 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states could not discriminate against law-school applicants because of race.

1966 - U.S. President Johnson said in his State of the Union address that the United States should stay in South Vietnam until Communist aggression there was ended.

1971 - "All In the Family" debuted on CBS-TV.

1986 - Space shuttle Columbia blasted off with a crew that included the first Hispanic-American in space, Dr. Franklin R. Chang-Diaz.

1991 - The U.S. Congress passed a resolution authorizing President Bush to use military power to force Iraq out of Kuwait.

1998 - Tyson Foods Inc. pled guilty to giving $12,000 to former Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy. Tyson was fined $6 million.

1998 - 19 European nations agreed to prohibit human cloning.

1998 - Linda Tripp provided Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr's office with taped conversations between herself and former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

2000 - The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, gave police broad authority to stop and question people who run at the sight of an officer.

2006 - The U.S. Mint began shipping new 5-cent coins to the 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks. The coin has an image of Thomas Jefferson taken from a 1800 Rembrandt Peale portrait in which the president is looking forward. Since 1909, when presidents were first depicted on circulating coins, all presidents had been shown in profile.

Today's thought:
Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a part of your life.

TOB&F today, maybe even say a prayer too. It IS Sunday after all!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Still got a pulse here. It's been one too many extreme weather trips and now I can't head West because the winds are getting up over 100 kph. Add some ice on the roads and well you get what I mean.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
'Morn'n all. Not going to talk about the wonderful sunny weather we are enjoying.
Hey Scotty, good to hear from you again. Glad you could blow in.
Bob, what are peaoats?

Went to the local Dodge dealer yesterday to order a gasket for the transmission on my truck. It weeps oil. Expected to pay 4 or 5 dollars for it, but noooooooo, the ******* wanted over $100 for what Dodge calls a separator. You can imagine what I told them to do with that! Will make another plan. This is pure extortion.

In 2 months will be in a malaria area, so spent some time yesterday researching antimalarial pills. Discovered that there have been quite a few advances made with that recently and also found out that one commonly used by the US army and now banned has been causing hallucinations. Glad I found out about that one because that was one of my original choices.

Going out later with friends for lunch. This will be a traditional Mexican meal. Yummy!

Hope all of you have a great day. I intend to have one.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of ya, canuckbrother. hope you find a better route.

chaikwa, that processor IS awesome, but it doesn't load the boiler. while you are doing many training classes, someone has to mind the store.....
ya find out who yer friends are.....just sayin grumpy....

look at the big house from a distance. see the heat warp at the sides of the house? yeah. dollars floating away.....rent the blown in insulation machine, 600 lbs of mix and happily drill holes in the side of the MIL......house.

Hey to all down South, faxing good things to each of you!

up at 6AM and did the boxing work out. can't decide which heavyweight I wanna be I am NOT drinking eggs though....
Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Hey to all down South, faxing good things to each of you!
Nothing arrived yet. Hope that it is not s--w. "Good" means different things to different folks.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Debating just what to do today. There's some 245/75 uniroyals in the spare tire pile at work, that the boss said I could use on my truck til I can get new tires for it. Could swap them on. Going to put them on back. Could cut some more wood. If it stays warm I got enough for 2 1/2-3 weeks yet. Feel like going for a ride, too. That's been a while. Thinking I'll put the tires on then swing over to Kearney and ride back to Gothenburg on route 30. Then I'll have been on all but about 70 miles of it across Nebraska.

Drained a quart of gas out of the tank and the fuel filter on the Amigo yesterday. Didn't see any water, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Fired up and ran great. Got to thinking that before Travis bought it, it "wasn't running right", which he fixed by putting a new battery in it. Popped the hood, thinking I'd check battery voltage, and found the ground cable was a little loose. Put a couple flat washers under the clamp nut and got it tightened up good. See what happens.

Also stuck the exhaust pipe back together and popped a hole in the bottom of the muffler. It's drove 16 miles and idled for 20 minutes and stayed together. Last time, without the hole in the muffler, it stayed together for about 100 feet.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM

Oh, and accuweather must be using the global warming climate models to predict the weather. Every time I check their extended forecast they have us in the high 40s and low 50s.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Finished the 208 Caravan yesterday, so I'm taking a day off to do important things like laundry. Then back on the T310Q tomorrow until it's finished. I hope the tools I need show up. Interesting working with a southerner for 3 days, they talk funny.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just finished the brakes on the D350 truck I got back by pure luck. I've been playing with it and to tell on myself, didn't bother to check the gas gauge. Ran out in my own driveway. It's going to be fun having Dad's truck back. It needs some TLC and new paint on the cab.
Going to a retirement at work today. One of my co-workers is retiring after 24 years as a USAF cop. My hat is off to him.
Have fun today however you can.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Originally Posted by cougar
Finished the 208 Caravan yesterday, so I'm taking a day off to do important things like laundry. Then back on the T310Q tomorrow until it's finished. I hope the tools I need show up. Interesting working with a southerner for 3 days, they talk funny.
Cougar - one of my friends is an airplane and helicopter mechanic. Most of his contracts are in northern Canada but you might be jealous of his latest gig. He is in Costa Rica. That has to be so much nicer than Alaska or the Northwest Territories at this time of year.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
morning with all this warm weather got my speedo on an tanning lothion in hand now I just have to clear the snow off the deck oh welll
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Administrator

chaikwa, that processor IS awesome, but it doesn't load the boiler. while you are doing many training classes, someone has to mind the store..... ya find out who yer friends are.
AIS John will throw a few sticks in it during the day when he comes in for parts and Mark is going to do the same after 4PM when he gets off work. Should be fine. I don't know if it's because of the 30° temps, but the consumption has gone down a bit. It was 40° when I first fired it up and the house water was already up to temp from the oil boiler, so I don't know why it's leveled off some. It's going to be in the teens here this week, so we'll see.

look at the big house from a distance. see the heat warp at the sides of the house? yeah. dollars floating away.....rent the blown in insulation machine, 600 lbs of mix and happily drill holes in the side of the MIL......house.
I've already spent enough money on that dive. I spent $400 I was saving for a new .380 for the fittings to mate the pex up to the antiquated crap they passed off as 'plumbing' in that place. I'm just hoping the old bat goes away soon, then we can just shut off the valve at the wood boiler, drain the house plumbing and wave goodbye.

Just ran a brand new 461 Stihl saw a friend bought. He was telling me what a great saw it was and how I should switch from Husky, so he let me try it in a 30" piece of hickory. I wasn't impressed. He said I was crazy. I went and got my old 272. The 272 is 4.9 HP, his Stihl is supposed to be 6. We decided to race. Hacked thru the hickory log with my Husky while he was stihl only 2/3rds of the way thru his cut. I said tell me again how great that saw is. He owns a Ford too. I guess you CAN get used to disappointment if you're subjected to it enough!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:32 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
sanitary breakroom..
Is that as in "sanitorium"???

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I guess you CAN get used to disappointment if you're subjected to it enough!
And for some reason I was thinking you'd never been married...

Slow day around here today, just not felling motivated enough to trudge through the mud that the thaw has brought... got the minimal chores done, chicken coop cleaned, horses brushed out and water tanks cleaned..
maybe go out and wash the truck later, its supposed to be in the 50's here today, but the wind is howling out there...

Oldest daughter, THE BOSS and THE BOSS JR are camped on the couch in their PJ's watching romance movies.... nice lazy day..
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Chris, you might be on to something there. Although, if we start the 'sanitarium' discussion, we know we are going to end up talking about the lunatics running the asylum.

Quick Reply: Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Peaoats Breakroom 1/12-18