Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

payroll, employee rights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
payroll, employee rights

Ok here is the situation. I recently found a new job because the economy forced mine to close down. (construction) I average 50 hours a week and only get paid for 36. My supervisor is in charge of everyones hours and every week I keep telling him that hes short and I get the same response. (yeah your right I'll put them on your next check), but I never get it. 90% of the company is illegal and will not speak up about there hours. So to much complaining and I can lose my job which I need because construction is all I know and this one is the only one busy. We do work for CBS, NBC, etc., Can I go to the labor board? What can I do. Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Contact the U.S. Department of Labor: Wage and Hour Office.
My sister is an agent with them (she carries a badge, but no gun ), she investigates this stuff all the time.

~Rob
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

be ready for a new job, if they get wind that you got the hounds on them, your days there will be miserable till you quit, firing you would just bring more pain to them through the labor board. do you punch a time clock or hand write hours/////// if you hand write, its tough to prove when you were there, if there is a clock they are suppose dto keep records and messing with a time card is an offense.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM

the super hand writes the hours. The employees never see the times.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

ya got a coffee shop near the office, buy your coffee every day there in the am, and a donut on the way home, and use the receipts to back yup your own hand written times.......... show the handwritten ones first, if they say you have no way to prove it, show the phot copies of the recipts from the coffee shop. to validate the times you were right "next door "
Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by BLACKDODOGE
the super hand writes the hours. The employees never see the times.
You dont get the opertunity to sign your time sheet indicating agreement?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Contact a lawyer, he can give you a little more advice. Can see why he's the busiest outfit.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 PM

I just went through this with my x employer. They would pay us our hours but not overtime just reg pay. After I quit and went to another company and he found out I was there he called me and told me he was sueing me for non compete agreement. After that I called a labor lawyer and sued him for not paying overtime.

Guess what. I won 3.5 years of back pay. Just got my money last week for the ordeal.

All he had to do was let me be. But he desided to threaten me and it back fired on him.

The lawyer will supena all the time tickets. They need to keep them for a few years for taxes. I forget how many years. The company should have all that info.

You may want to go in the office and ask to see them. Your sup. might be the one not logging the corect hours for you.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 AM

A guy tried to stiff me for a contract engineering job I did. I was to get a bonus if the machine shipped on schedule. It shipped as planned and I didn't get paid. Not only that I had a note that the guy wrote refusing to pay me as he said he didn't have a contract. I had my copy. I contacted a lawyer and he had the papers drawn up the same day. The sheriff deputy delivered them the next day. The court said triple damages plus interest, travel expenses since I had to come from out of state to appear in court and the guy got hit for lawyer costs. It seems the state gets a little excited when employers don't pay their people.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM

You need to keep a log of your hours. My dad used to keep a journal in his pocket dailey of his hours and what he did each day. It helped him out quite a few times over the years and will stand up in most courts.

In Alaska if you got paid more in wages then the amount that minimum wage plus OT would equal out to they wont chase the company down unless it is a Davis Bacon job.

Of course if the company is mostly illeagls they might take more of an intrest
Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM

no I do not get to sign my time card

If I am on one job for a few hours and the boss really needs me on a different job that is 30 minutes away and I drive my own vehicle is it legal for him to clock me out and after I complete that job and drive back clock me out again. for example

7:00-10:00 AAA project
10:30-12:00 BBB project
12:00-12:30 lunch
1:00-3:30 AAA project

Total 7 hours
Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should get paid for travel time and reimbursed for mileage as well. Like said above......contact the State Board of Hours and Wages. It should be in the government pages of your phonebook. I've been thru it. It's not fast, but it will work! After you contact the State board, ask them if it would be in your interest to also contact the Federal Board of Hours and Wages as well. I used both and between the two, I had a check delivered by courier within 48 hours of the end of their investigation! Once they say jump....it is in the employer's best interests to ask how high!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM

now this is something I should do after I have a new job right since I'd most likely get fired?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Each State has their own labor laws. I do know that if you travel from one job site to another it is considered work time in my State. Also if you are required to use your own car/truck you are to be payed mileage. You should be able to find the labor laws online but they can be hard to understand.

Talk to your labor board with out giving any names to start with. Plan on finding new employment then go after wages not paid. You may find out your supervisor is under reporting hours to make himself look good and have his projects come in under estimate (he gets big bonuses and you get cheated).

If the company on a whole is not aware of it's employees being under paid you may be ok there. If this is the way they do business you will need to find another job and let the labor board bring them down.

Good luck. I know you feel like you are between a rock and a hard place but how long will you be happy working there and how else will you get shafted? What happens if you ever are seriously hurt on the job? Will they try to cheat to keep from having a workman's comp claim? You know the type, if you fall your fired before you hit the ground.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Each state has their "Dept.of Labor" usually officed in the state capitol. Call them, ask details. They typically solve this type of problem swiftly. They also handle unemployment differences when an employee claims unemployment benefits when they don't have them coming. They will jump all over an employer who works illegals.

Quick Reply: payroll, employee rights