Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pastor Ted Haggard..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pastor Ted Haggard..

Hi guys. No doubt you've seen the news of the fall of this prominent minister.

I lived in Colorado Springs for a while. I went to this church more than once. While not perfect, I did feel that much of it was consistent with my Christian beliefs, while other things like imparting gifts via physical contact, and all the emphasis on prophecy seemed sort of out in left field.

I've met Ted Haggard on a couple occasions. I've worshipped at that church. Now we find out that it's senior leader (and one of the most prominent "Evangelical Christians" in the country has stepped down amid allegations of homosexual impropriety and methamphetamine usage.

Ted is a pretty polarizing figure, and I've noticed that the media coverage hovers at either extreme of the spectrum-- either a certain schadenfreude that one of those self righteous hypocrites finally got his due, or that a much-loved pastor is somehow an innocent victim in all this.

I think both positions are wrong. First, rejoicing at the fall of a minister is a pretty sick thing. This guy has 5 kids. Think of what they are going through, along with his wife. If you can be so callous as to gloat amidst their suffering, then you could never be a friend of mine.

But it's also wrong to think that Ted is some kind of innocent victim in all this, as if some carefully orchestrated conspiracy succeeded against all odds. The numbers don't lie, and there's no conspiracy; Ted Haggard is a sinner-- just like you and just like me. He's just got a higher profile.

Now, we'd be fools to look at this and not try to learn some kind of lessons from it all. To this end, I submit the following to you:

1) Pride comes before a fall
2) Shame comes after it.
3) NONE OF US is sin-proof-- only by waging and winning the war against our own flesh every day can be hope to please God.
4) Christian Faith is based on Jesus Christ and the Bible. If the fall of a prominent minister shakes your faith, then it was in the wrong place all along.

I know there are a good number of church-going types on here, and I thought I would pass this along. If you are the praying kind (as I hope you are), then I'd ask for your prayers for Ted's wife and kids, as they are completely innocent in this ordeal.

HOHN
Old 11-06-2006, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said, I knew there were others out there that felt the same way. I have never been to the church where he pastored but I know that it is not the only church going through things like this. Pray the the Lord direct their hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 AM

Your number 4 is exactly what I told the wife when I first heard the news. My faith is not in a living man.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure thsi is gonna get the "lock" an dmoved to the "other' site ASAP.. but I agree... whats the old cliche? "the only perfect man died on a cross a few years back....."
We ALL, regardless of position or faith,have the ability to fall into bad situations, that is what "free will" truley is about....
Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only problem is that, scripturally, once a man moves into leadership, he's held to a higher standard for just this reason. It's a shame to see any Christian stumble, but especially so those who have pronounced visibility in society or those who influence the lives of the younger, weaker Christians.

Rusty
Old 11-06-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It never ceases to amazed me how we are let down when we look up to a man.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 AM

Psalms 118:8 "It is better to trust in GOD than put confidence in man"
Old 11-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
The only problem is that, scripturally, once a man moves into leadership, he's held to a higher standard for just this reason. It's a shame to see any Christian stumble, but especially so those who have pronounced visibility in society or those who influence the lives of the younger, weaker Christians.

Rusty
True-- I wouldn't call it a problem, but I see where you're coming from. I'm recalling a verse about not desiring to be a teacher, because there is a tougher judgment.

It is scriptural that he be held to a higher standard-- the position demands it. And we'd be wrong to not demand it as well.

There but for the grace of God go we.

jh
Old 11-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Please take this subject over to our sister site http://www.all-politics.net/index.php?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
I am sure thsi is gonna get the "lock" an dmoved to the "other' site ASAP.. but I agree... whats the old cliche? "the only perfect man died on a cross a few years back....."
We ALL, regardless of position or faith,have the ability to fall into bad situations, that is what "free will" truley is about....
Yep, you're right. We should all know better by now. Please take this over to www.all-politics.net.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Yep, you're right. We should all know better by now. Please take this over to www.all-politics.net.
Beat ya to it
Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You're too fast for me, Lary!!! I think we were working on the thread at the same time..