Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Past/Present Bayliner OWNERS input wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Past/Present Bayliner OWNERS input wanted

This is a bit long-winded.

My parents had a boat while I was growing up. It was the late 80s/early 90s, and we had a mid 70s Glastron trihull with a 130 (I think?) Johnson outboard. It was NOT the prettiest thing on the water, nor the fastest. But it would easily pull any of my 3 siblings or parents out of the water on a slalom ski. During the summer, you could find us at the local lake at least 2 evenings per week playing around as a family. I am absolutely convinced that having the boat helped to bring us closer together.

Fast forward 20+ years, and I now have my own family with 3 young kids under 6. The kids are water lovers to be sure, and I want to encourage that and take advantage of it. So we're looking at buying a boat to help us form the same kind of family relationships I remember having as a kid.

We do NOT want the prettiest, fastest, blingest boat on the water. We want something relatively inexpensive, easy on fuel, easy to pull behind the truck camper (camping is our other passion), big enough to get the job done and nothing more. After many weeks/months of research, I think I've settled on trying to find a ~5 year old Bayliner 185 BR with 3.0L engine.

Now, I've lost track of how many internet posts where people have been PASSIONATE about going with the 4.3L engine. And if I had the funds to buy new, perhaps I would spring for the bigger engine. But finding a used 185 IN GOOD SHAPE, with the 4.3L has been very, very rare. And I've also done some homework and figure that a 3.0L with a 3- or 4-blade prop pitched down to 19 will provide a very good hole shot. We'll certainly lose top-end speed. But like I said above, having the fastest boat on the water means nothing to me. Plus, the 3.0L engine seems to be a very proven and reliable engine, and very easy to maintain. And I am METICULOUS about proper maintenance on my vehicles/toys.

So right now, I'd appreciate some past or present Bayliner owners to chime in and provide some input or advice. Will the BR 185 will do the job taking all of the above into account? Are there certain years I should avoid? Bayliner boats from the 80s and 90s definitely had a bad reputation, no doubt. But it seems like they got their crap together for 2000+ year boats??

Input and feedback is MUCH appreciated. TIA.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bayliner is not a bad boat it is an entry leval boat but its a great family boat I have been boating for years and the only neg. thing I would say is there upolestry is on the low side other then that your running gear is the same as a searay (my current boat) and the 3.0 is fine too just dont expect it to pull a 250+ person on a single ski , but it will pull skiers and tubes and other toys. if it has not had the guts run out of it, it will be a good boat. keep it inside and it will last forever too.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't just stick w/the Bayliner brand. Possibly look at other similar hull types focusing on the motor, stringers and any other structural issues. If those are in check, the rest s/b fairly ok. I'm not bashing bayliner but their trailers leave a lot to be desired. You can't get on the water w/a bad trailer, motor or hull. I'm all about the H20...good luck on your search!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Bayliner (or any boat) is as good as it's been taken care of. A well kept one will run forever. I've known people to run them for years on end with just gas and oil.
You may not be interested in any other boat but here's some food for thought.....
First, the 3.0 will not get good fuel economy if you prop it way down, becasue it'll be running wfo at cruising speeds. Friends had a 18-19' Maxum 4.3 and it needed to be propped down for watersports and a full load of passengers and it sucked down gas like noones business.
As mentioned above why are you limiting yourself to Bayliners only? There are many other 2nd/3rd tier runabouts like Maxum, Searay, etc.
You did not mention a budget, but I'm guessing around $10-12k. With that budget, you have alot of options.
You mentioned small kids and water sports. Personally I am scared when my kids are on an I/O because of the hazards of getting cut by the outdrive/prop hanging out there. Seen it happen more than once and I'm not on the water that much.
Unless you're dead set on having a 5 +/- yr old boat, take a look at older inboards. IMO, the only downside to an inboard ski boat is how it rides in rough water. Not terrible, just not like a deep vee.
The plusses far outweigh that IMO. First, no injury potential when the kids are jumping off the back of the boat all day. Nice swim deck at water level and no prop to hit. Good fuel economy. I could go out for the day, all day, boarding, skiing, some cruising and use less than 20gal of gas, with a 330hp engine! Never gonna complain it's underpowered. You live out west. Get that 3.0 on a lake at 6000' elev and propped down or not, it will struggle to get on plane even with noone in tow. Ease of maint/repair, it's a small block V8 with a simple gearbox and a prop. Most of the parts for the engine you can get at Napa. Relaibility, 2000+ hrs is the norm for a well maintained boat before any major mechanical work needed. Resale, you spend $10k on a well maintained, EFI ski boat with 1000hrs or less and you'll get most if not all of that back 5 or more years from now if you sell it. Watersports, better than any other type of boat for obvious reasons and alot of them have wakeboard towers already.
This was my first boat, bought it for $13,500 with <200hrs. Had it 6years, only added the tower and minor upgrades, like new speakers. Sold it for $13,500 with 500hrs on it.

I know this is not what you were asking about, but IMO (its my opinion).
Good luck boat shopping, it's the right time of the year for it.
Attached Thumbnails Past/Present Bayliner OWNERS input wanted-dsc01120-copy.jpg   Past/Present Bayliner OWNERS input wanted-dsc02077.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I moon lighted at a Searay dealer for years overhauling mercruiser drives and engines. From what I have actually seen Bayliners were pretty much the cheapest boat made. Thin hulls, less reinforcing where it needs to be etc. However if your going to navigate in familiar waters, not beat the thing to death, do all your own maintenance then I would go for it. Just use caution they don't hold up to beaching very well. As for the 3.0, that's a no brainer to me. We called them the "iron dukes" because they are super reliable and nearly bullet proof. They are short on power but as you stated your not looking for a race boat. As far as putting a 19* pitch on it all I can say is forget about it, with the family in the boat its going to be a sled. You will be much better off with a 17 or a 15 but a 15 is hard to come by and may have to be ordered. If its got a Mercruiser in it then I would highly recommend using Mercruiser brand (Quicksilver) oils. 25w40 for the engine.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
We fish out of my dad's neighbors 18.5 every summer. V6 I/O. purrs like a kitten, easy on gas and well maintained. Used, not abused.

Also comfortable and reliable. If you take care of your stuff, pay a little more for a low time/taken care of one and enjoy it.

If you want to step up a bit, SeaRay, Blue Water are ok...