Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Paint Sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Sprayer

I am getting ready to repaint my horse trailer and planned on borrowing a sprayer, but that has been placed on hold. I looked at renting a airless paint sprayer and the going rate seems to be around $70-$80 for 24hrs. After looking looking at several home supply stores, i have found several paint sprayer setups in that range. I have no clue about types of sprayers so i need some help and if it makes a difference i will be using an oil-based paint. I could see myself using a spray gun for future projects too.

- The wagner airless series..are they worth anything? It seems like a combo can easily be found for $60-80.

- Since I should be able to borrow an air tank, would a air spray gun be better? I would have to purchase a tank eventually though.

I am not looking to be a professional painter, i just have a paint job i need to do and i could see myself possibly using a paint sprayer in the future to do misc work (house, fence, etc).
Old 03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a friend who just bought a Wagner airless sprayer and they swear by it.....or maybe I should say AT it. It apparently does a good job of covering the area, but you also lose about half of your paint (according to them) in the air. They're planning to take it back and get a refund after trying to stain their fence with it over the weekend. They ended up using rollers because they were losing too much of the stain in the air.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matthop:

I am repainting the inside of my house - doors, trim and walls. For the doors and new base boards, I went to Home Depot and bought a air spray gun for about $35 as I already had the compressor. It worked real well with latex based paint but suspect that it would do good with and oil based paint as well. The doors and base boards look like they were professionally done with no runs and no overspray. The trick is to adjust the pressure down to about 35 lbs. from the compressor as instructed in the directions, adjust the amount of paint that is being sprayed, spray it from a consistent distance from your work, and move the sparyer in a consistent direction. Try it on a piece of cardboard before you tackle the trailer.

If I were you, I would buy the spray gun and rent the compressor - just make sure that the air supply on the compressor can be regulated. If you decide to go this route, also buy some paint thinner so that you can clean the gun up real good after you paint. In the past I have tried the airless type sprayers and did not have any luck with them.

Good luck - if I can do a decent job - you can too!

John (DH)
Old 03-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Banned

Make sure you use an air filter. Otherwise you will get fisheyes all over from the moisture that the compressor produces.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:26 PM

MATT, I work in the automotive recon industry and I have a suggestion.
1. Go with a compressor.
2. Depending on the type of job you want to do,I would go with what they call a "GRAVITY GUN". They actually look like a coffee can with a trigger. Home Depot and Lowes sells them in a kit. This is what guys that repaint bumpers,panels,hoods,etc use. I "think" they only require about 30psi but may vary. It may take a while but it will leave you with a nice finish. Very professional looking as well. This is not piece of equipment I would use indoors to paint walls though. The over spray can get nasty.
3. Make sure your surface is clean and DRYYY.
4. do not do it on a windy day or once it is dry you will feel little pieces of grit in the finish.
5. Keep the gun moving other wise it will fish eye due to the excessive paint being applied to the surface.
6. DO NOT FORGET TO CLEARCOAT IT(Not only for shine but also protects)
7. Keep the gun clean!!

Again these are suggestions if you want a nice looking trailer. This is how I would do it.

I beleive Sherwin Williams has automotive paint,give them a check.

PS Use a resperator and good luck
Old 03-10-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matthop;

I own and have often used the Wagner airless type with great success.

I can't remember the model #, but I know it was a heavier one???

Tractor supply sold some cheaper that were fewer watts etc. I bought this one at Costco.

In fact I have painted several horse and gooseneck livestock trailers with it. Works great. I have also painted tractors, gates, feeders etc.

You just need to make sure you have an appropriate nozzle, make sure you have the "pressure" set right. and make sure you have the paint thinned appropriately, (sprayer comes with a little can on a stick that you use to measure the paint viscosity so you can thin accordingly).

None of it is hard, take your time, don't put too much paint on at once or you'll have runs and Enjoy.