Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is Ozone depletion a myth? (just like global warming)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Question

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
FWIW, methane is a greenhouse gas, not a ozone depleting one.

1 particle of freon stops roughly 10,000-15,000 particles of O4 from forming.
POOTING
They should keep all their sheep indoors and then they can collect the methane gas off of the ceiling and use IT to keep themselves warm instead of using the sheep.

If methane is a greenhouse gas and you were to burn it in a IC engine what would the emissions be?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 AM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, I have a somewhat small 36" tall one. I had forgotten about it as I was around 16 when I made it. I never really got around to tuning it too well, but I used a rotary spark-gap made from some motor I had layin' (think it was an airconditioning fan motor). Power came from a Lincoln 220v crackerbox. Duty cycle on it before cables melted was about 20 seconds. I think I fired it a grand total of 4 times. The longest arc I made from it was about 4' My stepfather figured out all the really fine details. It was great to say the least, we never did get to use it's output at 100% though. May have to dust it off and have some fun with it
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Jim Lane
If methane is a greenhouse gas and you were to burn it in a IC engine what would the emissions be?
If somehow the methane were to be burnt by an IC motor then more greenhouse gas would be created.

ODS include CFCs, HCFCs, halons, methyl bromide, carbon tetrachloride, and methyl chloroform. ODS are generally very stable in the troposphere and only degrade under intense ultraviolet light in the stratosphere. When they break down, they release chlorine or bromine atoms, which then deplete ozone.
The real irony of the above is if you noticed CFC and HCFC, or in better terms that is like R-12 and R-134a. So all these companies spent millions on converting over and the R-134a really isn't that much better than the R-12 is but is less efficient and needs higher compressor pressures.

I was going to try to find a rule of thumb for gasser versus diesel in greenhouse gasses emitted annually but I can't find the information, let's just say a diesel let's out roughly a third of the greenhouse gasses that gassers do.

EPA-609 Certified
Former environmental 401 student.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Made a few of my own windows in my addition to the cabin recently. If I were able to harness a fart between the paines of glass, would it help insulate without fogging up every time it rains?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Redleg
If I were able to harness a fart between the paines of glass, would it help insulate without fogging up every time it rains?

oh you were serious? sorry

britt

Old 03-03-2005, 09:46 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

What do you mean?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe we could use the sheep to solve the world hunger problem, and solve the greenhouse problem at the same time, what do you think?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Made a few of my own windows in my addition to the cabin recently. If I were able to harness a fart between the paines of glass, would it help insulate without fogging up every time it rains?
I just got a mental picture of you trying to do that. It wasn't pretty.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 AM

Hmm, I think there would be better souces of gas than straight from your as_ ....
Old 03-03-2005, 05:37 PM

When you are trying to fill the void between the 2 panes of glass, don't strain too hard or you will have a pain cleaning the panes!!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM

As in, you made the glass from sand and all that, or you put the panes of glass in a frame, with a fart in between?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Well, I'm not convinced the Ozone problem is real or caused by CFC's. There are a lot of people who believe that the reason CFC's got banned was because Dupont's patent expired and anyone could make/sell freon. So who has the patent on R-134A?

Freon is about 6 times heavier than air also so how does it get into the upper atmosphere to breakdown ozone?

As for global warming, the climate model was tweaked until it rendered the results the green scientists wanted. It was found that if you fed noise to the same model it rendered the same "hocky stick" upswing in temperatures. This completely invalidated the whole model and chicken little global warming scientists theories.

Edwin
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 PM

R-134a is an HCFC which really isn't much better than Dupont's R-12 which is a CFC. The HCFC was supposed to breakdown before it gets to the stratsophere but I don't believe it is happening as planned. As far as I know there aren't any exclusive rights to any of the freons anymore.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
HOW?

Originally posted by jfpointer
As in, you made the glass from sand and all that, or you put the panes of glass in a frame, with a fart in between?
How do you get the gas in between the panes of glass? does it take an assistant or or some specialized device to do this. Seems like most of it would escape before you could get it sealed up. Also I would sure hate to be in the room and have a baseball come crashing through the window and break a few panes of glass. Man if your wife was cooking, there could a big explosion.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
R-134a is an HCFC which really isn't much better than Dupont's R-12 which is a CFC. The HCFC was supposed to breakdown before it gets to the stratsophere but I don't believe it is happening as planned. As far as I know there aren't any exclusive rights to any of the freons anymore.
Sorry Boost, but R-134a is an HFC (Hydro Fluoro Carbon) not an HCFC(Hydro Chloro Fluoro Carbon)... No chlorine in that molecule, thereby no Ozone Depletion Potential.
Chlorine is the bad actor in the refrigerant/ozone depletion mechanism.
R-22 IS an HCFC but since it is a much more hydrogenated molecule, it contains WAY less chlorine than the old CFC's (Freon-11 and Freon 12 etc.) ever did. That's why R-22 was allowed to remain in use for so much longer than CFC's even though it had an atom of Cl.

The hydrogenated(HFC), or mostly hydrogenated (HCFC) refrigerant molecule breaks down much easier at a lower UV energy level than the very tightly bonded CFC's.

The problem with 134a is it has a larger GWP or Global Warming potential than R-12 did.
Get rid of one problem and you have to deal with an other...
R-134a in some applications(centrifugal, stationary hermetic, etc.) is MORE efficient than R-12!
Different compression ratio's and improved condenser performance makes all the difference!

You're right about the exclusivity statement. The molecule is not patented, but the processes to get there and the trade names are! There are many ways to skin a cat but some are sure messier than others.

Keith

Quick Reply: Is Ozone depletion a myth? (just like global warming)