Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is Ozone depletion a myth? (just like global warming)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Is Ozone depletion a myth? (just like global warming)

Ran across this interesting article on SlashDot:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn..._thinning.html

It seems that the sun can also cause ozone depletion. What few people know is that the sun's radiation (UV) which makes the ozone in the first place. The hole is formed in the polar winter (North and south) because the pole is in darkness, hence no UV, no ozone! Gee!

BTW, the earths temperature is more affected by the sun's output than anything else. There are charts which clearly show that when the sun is hotter, the earth is hotter. DUH!

Edwin
Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Must be on the same charts that explain why it always gets darker when the sun goes down, and why it always so bright at high noon...
Must be government funded scientist.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha ha, might have to fire up 'ye ol' Tesla coil and generate some ozone.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Banned

From what my chem teacher told me, there is no hole in the ozone layer. I tend to trust him cause he patented several different chemicals, plastics, and other stuff for Dow Chemicals.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by BigBlue
From what my chem teacher told me, there is no hole in the ozone layer. I tend to trust him cause he patented several different chemicals, plastics, and other stuff for Dow Chemicals.

britt

Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 AM

J_R: You've got a Tesla Coil? How big?
They DO generate a bunch of noise and Ozone for sure!
My neighbors WOULD kick me out of the 'hood if I built one as big as I would like to!!!
I do luvs them big ones!!!!

Keith
Old 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ozone depletion is not a myth... It may not be important or that big of an issue, but it isn't a myth. There is less ozone now than there once was.

It's not that the sun stopped making ozone or depleting ozone (it does both if I recall...), but the ozone-generating reaction that occurs in the upper atmosphere was prohibited by the CFC's and other wonderful chemicals, so ozone stopped being generated. It was quite possible for a time that some big problems were going to arise, but it seemed to be put under control pretty well.

And ozone generated close to the surface doesn't do any good for the high atmosphere ozone depletion... Tesla coils are pretty cool, though. Especially if you got them on your roof and they zap anybody that comes too close...

As for global warming, an influx of man-made greenhouse gas will obviously affect the climate. It is actually quite like a greenhouse- the logic is rather plain. The question is how much of an affect we are actually having; climate fluctuations like the European "Little Ice Age" are known to occur, so we don't know where nature's role ends and our's begins.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM

I still like the article about the Australian and New Zealand sheep farmers being major contributors to the ozone depletion....... They were trying to fund some type program to change the livestock diets so as to keep the "POOTING" down to a minimum. I forget the calculated tonnage of methane gas that these poor innocent critters were emitting but it was insane........

Hey Hoss, since I am talking about sheep, feel free to chime in!!!!!

ROTFLMBO

Gary
Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by scuzman00

Gary

I always knew there was something about Hoss but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Now it all makes sense.

britt

Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

I watched an article on the Discovery Channel where the poles are going to reverse again in a few years or so. That ougha be interesting.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

DD4X4, I watched something similar except on PBS. It was very interesting.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM

the poles will eventually reverse just not in the next few years. the poles do reverse every so often (sometimes hundreds of thousands of years other times just thousands of years). i did see a program that talked about this subject also(discrovery science channel i believe) and we are getting pretty close to due. but who knows?

britt

Old 03-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator

It was interesting but I'm not going to put it up very high on my list of things to worry about. It's right up there with global warming and such. Now where did I put that list again?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by scuzman00
I still like the article about the Australian and New Zealand sheep farmers being major contributors to the ozone depletion....... They were trying to fund some type program to change the livestock diets so as to keep the "POOTING" down to a minimum. I forget the calculated tonnage of methane gas that these poor innocent critters were emitting but it was insane........

FWIW, methane is a greenhouse gas, not a ozone depleting one.

1 particle of freon stops roughly 10,000-15,000 particles of O4 from forming.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:47 AM

I think when some major interest wants to promote or destroy a product that all they have to do is apply for a government grant to do a government study to prove what ever they want. Then get a good attourney to word it so nobody understands it for 10 or 15 years, then do another gov study to disprove it.
I think there is major problem with methane gas causing ozone depletion. USE BEANO in your food!!!! You will feel better and we all will breath a LOT easier!!!!

Quick Reply: Is Ozone depletion a myth? (just like global warming)