Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Orange County Choppers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, their showroom is about 45 minutes away. I was there when he took the Christmas bike out for the Sleigh. (sorry if I spelled it wrong) I talked to SR personally, and didn't think he was too bad.

Dom
Old 01-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

Sr. got where he got being who he is... Father/Son combos are often like that... notice that for the most part, his other employees don't have those kind of arguments w/ him?

Forrest
Old 01-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Naw, my Pop might get a bike built by them. IDK tho. SR is alright. He runs his buisness well, or he wouldn't make the money he does.

Dom
Old 01-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

their bikes are WAY overpriced IMHO...

one of their rolling chassis kits is like $10k+ my buddy got basicly the same thing from Southern Cycle for $4k... I'm sure their completed bikes are marked up just as hard...

everyone wants an OCC or WCC bike because they watch the Discovery Channel and think they gotta get one of them if they want to be cool...

it's kinda like Banks stuff for diesels... it's quality stuff, and it works fine, but you can get the same results (or better) for less money.

YMMV

Forrest
Old 01-06-2005, 06:00 PM

I sort of think the price is justified because everything is a custom job. Almost everything is done in house, except for Engine Tranny. And most of the Engine and Tranny Combos are unique. And we dont know them from the Discovery channel, My Papi (Grandfather) met SR at a fair a long time ago, and was hired to fix Pauls roof. Everyone in my family is a carpenter, or has something to do with houses.

JMHO tho,

Dom
Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

I've never seen them bend a frame... and unless you drop stupid cash, they're just gonna use one of their stock frames. nothing wrong with that either...

not saying they aren't quality bikes, just saying they've jacked their prices now that they're name is everywhere. can't blame 'em either! but you can get the same or better for less...

a bike is a bike... there isn't much to it... they don't make their own grips, wheels, tanks, etc. not for their mass produced bikes... neither does anyone else...

again, not saying they aren't quality, just saying that unless you're talking about dropping $70-80k+, you aren't getting a true "one off" bike... and I'm also saying you could get an equivalent true "one off" for $40-50k from somewhere else.

YMMV,

Forrest
Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 PM

it is part of our capitalistic ecomomy, people "pay" for the status symbol. if you are riding a bike that came from OCC you get attention . Not that the bike is any better that the one from hank smiths shop just that it is an OCC bike.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

that's what I'm saying... and there's nothing "wrong" with that! It's just not my style.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:29 PM

I'd love it if they spent more TV time on the bikes, and less on the arguments.

Discovery and TLC are getting a little too in to the 'reality' shows nowadays. I find myself watching the History channel more .. but even they are succumbing to the reality type shows.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:35 PM

No, no doubt. Its not my style either. Paul SR owns a steel shop Called IRON i think. And they do the frames. His son Dan runs the IRON shop. I remember the Snap On bike having a custom "HEX" frame. And I Agree about the Rediculous prices. I think Ole Indian Larry (RIP) made the best bikes on the planet from "True Scratch", you know did everytrhing...But like they said in their show 2 Bike Greats passed on this past year David Mann (RIP) and Ole Indian...

NE who, I'm just runnin off what i know...maybe others know more! For all I know I could be full of poo!

Dom
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
not saying they aren't quality bikes, just saying they've jacked their prices now that they're name is everywhere. can't blame 'em either! but you can get the same or better for less...

Thats why Im sticking with my Moped....

Have you guys seen all the OCC toys??? How about the OCC Cologne??? Yeah thats right OCC Cologne....talk about overexposure. Anything to make a buck I guess. Sr. probably tried selling the dumb brother, Mikey but couldnt find any takers...
Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mikey has a wit, and that is the true sign of intellegence. Maybe not wisdom, but intelligence nonetheless. Or maybe that was the sign of charisma... It wasn't knowledge...

Mikey's already a legend around our house. We usually refer to people as Mikey. "Hey, Mikey, get me a beer."
Old 01-06-2005, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
I bet you're really Evil on that thing!

Cool Buggys Herb, and great web site!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil

Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Flashdancr
I bet you're really Evil on that thing!

You KNOW you want a ride on that thing....dont even try denying it...

Quick Reply: Orange County Choppers