Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Opinions on this Bobcat 743

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on this Bobcat 743

I posted this over on TractorByNet and got no replies... maybe there are some people here that could give me some more advice? I've been looking for a Bobcat recently... I've considered using it to make some money, but if nothing else, I would like to have one to do some projects around our little horse farm... like renovating the riding ring, doing some long-overdo landscaping, etc.

I was looking for some opinions on this Bobcat 743. I went and drove it yesterday. Its a 1986 model I think.

I realize that its not a shiny new model with all the fancy features. But ESPECIALLY if its just going to be used around the farm, I don't think theres a need to spend a ton of money on a new model.

While I didn't get to hear it cold start, I would of course do that before I purchased the machine. The owner said he would hold the glow plugs for about 45 seconds, then it would take about 3 tries to get it running in the 35ish degree weather. It fired up instantly when warm.

It doesn't appear to be burning any oil. It has a about 3200 hours.

The interior is a little rough, the coolant temperature gauge doesn't work, but the rest of the machine seems pretty solid. He said he had a new gauge to put in there.

If you look in the picture that shows the front of the machine, you can see 2 plates that are on the cross-brace above the bucket, on the arms. The owner said a crack developed here, but he welded the plates on there and from what i can tell he did a good job and it seems solid.

It has the 4 cylinder Kubota diesel. I think its 30 something horsepower.

I've only operated larger skidsteers before, like a 753-773.

This one seemed to be lacking power. I don't know if it wasn't running right, or if its just because its a smaller machine. Is it normal for the tires not to spin and the engine to bog when pushing into a pile of hard dirt to scoop it up? I noticed some white smoke at the higher RPMs, especially under load. It could have been because it was cold out. It didn't smell like antifreeze or anything, so I don't think the headgasket is bad. Maybe theres a hole in a fuel line drawing some air in?

Or maybe a little white smoke is normal. The exhaust smells like diesel exhaust, no oil or other bad "smells".

The owner was using the machine for a job he had, and it looks like he takes decent care of his equipment - it had dates written on the oil filter and such.

He operated the machine at about 3/5 to 3/4 throttle it seemed. I guess thats OK, hopefully someone can chime in there. Any reason not to operate it at full throttle?

He was also including a backhoe attachment. It didn't appear to have been used much, and came with 2 buckets. Last time he used it a hydraulic hose busted, and he said it lost about 5 gallons of fluid.

I have asked him if he would take 6500 for the machine with the backhoe and regular bucket, and he said yes, it seems like a decent deal, but I wanted to have others give their opinion on the machine before I bought it. Its a lot of money no matter what way you look at it.

Hopefully these pictures and videos can help.

Thanks again for your input.

Sorry for the LONG post... but I wanted to provide as much information as I could.

Dennis

Sorry about the crappy quality videos, its the best my cell phone can do.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shop around you can buy a lot newer machine for the same price. those smaller machines are not that strong and yea they will bog down without spinnin the tires. look at iron planet they check the machines out a lot of the time
Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM

I think you could find something better for that price...

I personally would avoid it because of the welds on the arms, from my experience the areas around the welds will continue to break, and be a real PITA...

Just my .02...
Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
DTR question asker

I'm surprised that you all can find machines in better condition for the price. I guess it really depends on the area. I'm more comfortable with buying something from the actual owner that hasn't been repainted, etc. than from a dealer... but, like I said, I guess the prices and such really differ from area to area.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:02 PM

We used to have a 743, an 89 or 90. Good units, my dad's old forman is still running it. That machine you are looking at is fairly beat, imo. It is probally very clattery, Id bet. Get in, an move the sticks back and forth, look for play in the joints on the arms. I dont know anything about these kubota's, but 3000 hours seems high. As far as the repairs, if a decent fabricator did them, they are probally good to go. Check the excavator attachment, if it is in good shape, it is worth 2000 grand. Remember that you need a trailer, figure 1500 at least for a decent 18 or 20 footer. And in the video, there is an awful sqeeling, check that. If it was me, I would get the excavator attachment, and continue to shop for a machine with less hours.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't think you are gonna find one with the backhoe attachment for the price...

But I would rather spend 6500 on a machine that was in a little better shape than that one, and save for attachments.

Has nothing to do with looks or paint jobs.

I would be very leary of those cracks in the arms though...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
The key to the operation of a bobcat, is simply to keep it above 1/2 throttle. This keeps the charge pump pressure up where it should be, anything less, and the charge pump pressure falls off, and you add a lot of wear to the main hydrostatic pumps.

You can do better than that price. The only reason I have seen, for the lift arm structure cracking, is a machine that has done a lot of heavy lifting using one side of the boom more than the other, such as side loading with forks. Also, if the machine has fallen on its head, over the side as such.

I have seen medium hour 753/763 units on our side of the border, go very cheap, as owners are upgrading to the S series machines, with more power, more creature comforts, and so on.

Not sure on the oil capacity of the 743, but I know that most of the newer machines only have a 5 gallon reservoir. That said, if he blew a line and lost 5 gallons of oil, who knows what else might have been damaged.

Another thing to look at is the steering setup. If it has the solid flatbar style rods, with the full width centering plate, then it is a decent unit. If it has two cables, with the assist cylinders, avoid it like the plague, you will forever be adjusting the steering to keep it from wandering off on its own.

From the pictures you have there, you are looking at a machine that I would offer about 2,000 for, and not much more than that. If I saw it in person, it might go a little either way, maybe 500 bucks or so. But for overall use, you would still be better off with a newer machine. Something that at least has a closed cab.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM

me and a buddy of mine were lookin for equitment and you can find some AWSOME deals at auctions with allot of big companies going out or just cutting back the auction blocks are full
Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 PM

I saw a 2001 bobcat on craigslist the other day for 8,000 and it was a lil bigger. Don't know the model number. It had 1100 hrs on it.
The deals are out there right now.
My buddy just picked up a case excavator ( 9096 or something), BIG machine. For 20,000.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
DTR question asker

I guess I will keep looking. Thanks.