Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

One way to secure a chain in the bed of your capped pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One way to secure a chain in the bed of your capped pickup

Maybe this idea will help someone who needs to lock a chain in the bed like I did.

I use my pickup to carry a lot of my tools to and from my job sights. I have a cap that locks, and one of those Bully tailgate latches with a lock that I had re-keyed to match the cap locks. But, for the tools and tool chests I have inside, I wanted to lock them on a chain for a little more security. The problem was I couldn't figure out how to secure the chain to the pickup.

Since I bolted my cap to the bedrail with stainless hardware, I used stainless U-bolts turned upside-down in place of regular bolts, one on each side. So, how do you prevent someone from removing two regular locknuts? I used 1 in. angle to form a "cover". The bottom piece of angle sits on the bedrail and acts not only in place of base washers, but the bottom of the cover. The top piece of angle sits upside down and opposite the bottom one to enclose the double-nuts that prevent the U-bolt from being removed- looks like square stock when placed together. Then, I threaded 1/4-20 pan-head bolts at each end through the assembly, front to rear, to keep it together. I welded a nut on each end inside because my threads weren't quite long enough. I have stainless tamper-resistant, tapper headed screws on order that I will countersink.

If someone really wants the stuff, they'll get it one way or another. But at least this helps slow them down.

Without tamper-resistant cover:

With tamper-resistant cover:

Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
That looks good, and with the tamper proof bolts it's going to be a long operation for anybody to disassemble everything to get to your chain.

Where did you get the clamps that hold your cap on?

AlpineRAM
Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Where did you get the clamps that hold your cap on?

AlpineRAM
The ARE dealer I bought the cap from put 6 of them on when he installed the cap. I just haven't gotten around to removing them after I bolted it on.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The "fun" part over here is that you simply don't get those clamps, no gas springs and no cap locks... all made of pure unobtainium.

Can you PM me the contact info of the ARE dealer?

Thanks!

Markus
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 AM

Seems like buying a truck, but you don't get the bolts that hold the bed on.
I sent you a link to an online parts company.