Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Older Craftsman Riding Mower ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Older Craftsman Riding Mower ???

Where can I find repair/maintenance information on an older Craftsman riding mower ??

Here is every marking I can find on it:

CRAFTSMAN II
LT 4000
I/C GOLD 12.5 HP Briggs-Stratton
6-SPEED
42"

Color is faded gray.

I need a picture(s) of the rear brake assembly installed.

Also, what, if any, service should I do to the rear trans/axle ??

Is there a lube plug ??

If so, what type lube ??

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can still get manuals and parts through Sears Parts.com.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
You can still get manuals and parts through Sears Parts.com.
I didn't have any success finding anything there.

Either I am too dumb, or they consider it out-dated.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Trying to think back, I had a mid 80's Sears mower, and I had to find the type number on it before they could get parts, I "think" it was on a silver tag on the frame somewhere.

Sorry i couldn't be more help, I try and forget my experiences with that mower....
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by patdaly
Trying to think back, I had a mid 80's Sears mower, and I had to find the type number on it before they could get parts, I "think" it was on a silver tag on the frame somewhere.
You really do need that number to get anywhere with sears....it should be something like xxx.yyyyyy not sure of the digit count; it does vary by year/age/product type.

HTH

Tony
Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bearkiller, most Craftsman mowers are made( and have been for over a decade) by MTD. Somewhere on teh mower shoudl be a plate that states soemthing to teh effect of " Manufactored for Sears by MTD" and it will ahve the MTD serial and model on it. On my old Husky it was under the seat, on the last Craftsman I had it was on the inside of the frame above the mower deck.My last Cub had it on teh rear fender......used to buy used mowers and run them tillthey broke and then go buy another used one..
Using those, you can cross reference it to any MTD model of the same type.
Husky, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, Wards, Yardman, and most any other store brand are MTD mowers with different paint jobs.....

The Craftsman type number is simply a cross reference to MTD, so Sears can sell parts under their store name.( Spent a year helping a retired cop redo the inventory and parts ordering for his Lawn and Garden store)
Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 AM

Bearkiller,
The Craftsman (MTD) rear transaxles are supposedly lubed for life. I have rebuilt several and grease had been originally applied sparingly when manufacturered. No grease plug and access is by removing from the mower and splitting the case. Not hard to do. I just put about a 3/4 tube of chassis grease inside spread accross the gears. While you are inside look at the axle bushings for wear. If excessively worn, some have a cutout in the housing where you might be able it install a ball bearing assembly. I have one with a replaced bearing assembly that has run about 10 years. The original aluminum bushing (case halves) were totally worn out.
You can get parts listings and diagrams on the Sears website with the model/serial numbers if you are able to find them.
PM if you have more questions.
David
Old 09-21-2007, 07:42 AM

On my old 92 model sears garden tractor the number I use to get parts from Searsparts starts with 917. and is located under the seat. Other than replacing a brass wear bushing on the steering sector and the electric blade clutch engagement switch that thing has been a beast of a mower. The wife even mows the pastures with it.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM

You definately need the model number to do anything, no matter where you go for parts. xxx.yyyyyy on a silver tag, either under the seat or on the frame rail. If you don't have luck directly thru Sears, try Stens. I worked on mowers for a while, and we could always get a part through them. I've had more than my fair share of Sears/Murray mowers that needed work. The differences in those two brands are minimal BTW.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I try and forget my experiences with that mower....

I know EXACTLY where you are coming from with that statement.

In all the years we have had it, I can not remember one complete yard mowing that did not require some kind of mechanical intervention.