Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Old Heeler....Rear Leg Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
A Heeler has to have his tail to be an efficient herder. Docking of tales is purely for asthetics for the owner. If you want an Australian Cattle Dog to do his job, hes got to have a tail.

http://www.cattledog.com/misc/faq.html#tail

http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian..._dog/index.cfm

Cool...you learn something everyday.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
Cool...you learn something everyday.
Live with a Heeler and you will definately learn something new every day. Man these dogs are smart. Im just glad they dont have oposable thumbs, I could hang it up then. Ralph would be letting himself in and out and doing what ever he wanted

Ralphs a little under the weather right now, he got the big snip snip today and is still drugged up pretty good. I hated to do it to him, but I dont plan on breeding and my neighbors probably dont want him breeding their dogs for them so I decided to go ahead and have it done. Vet says it wont effect his energy any if he is a working dog. Just got to keep him working.

Hey Crobtex, did you get that walker ordered? Hows she doing today??
Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah...heelers are good dogs. My wife and I looked into buying one when we bought our 2 Corgi's we have now. I like the dispostition of the herding dogs. And like you said they are smart.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

My floks' dog Casey is 14. She's arthritic. The folks give her fractions of motrin pills that help her. My grandpa's dog, Cody, had to be put down at about 12-13. He was mine before I left for the service. Motrin helped him too. I've never seen a heeler with specific hip problems other than age? We leave our tails on too.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:36 PM

My oldest pitbull ( 16) is on deramaxx. She's a new dog with that stuff. She was laying around all the time and not very active. The deramaxx takes the edge off of her arthritis pain and she runs around like a pup sometimes. I have her on a low dosage because of the kidney failure that can occur. I give her half of a 100 mg tab twice a day. I have bloodwork done on her every 2-3 months to keep an eye on the kidneys. It costs about $40-$60 per month but it's well worth it.