Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Old Heeler....Rear Leg Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Heeler....Rear Leg Help

Our 14 yo heeler Kiowa is down in her back legs. The doc has diagnosed as arthritis and muscle deterioration. Other then not being able to walk on her hind legs, see is still just as sharp and lovable as ever. This is what makes it so hard to have her put down.

I have seen pictures of dogs with a harness and wheels to support there rear legs. I would like to find something like this to get Ole' Kiowa mobile again. Done a Google search but didn't kind anything. Anyone know where I might start looking?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your heeler. You could build your own cart.Couldn't be that hard.I am dreading this day as I have a ten yr old heeler.Good luck
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 AM

http://www.doggon.com/home.html
www.k9carts.com
http://handicappedpets.com/wheelorder1.htm
see if any of these help your little buddy
Old 03-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Chapter President

THANKS!

These are exactly what I couldn't find. I'll have the one from dogstogo.net ordered as soon as I can get the measurements.

Thanks again,
Old 03-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a heeler that was born with a deformed hind quarters and he walked on his front two and lifted his back end off the ground. If you are planning a trip my way I have 9 australian shepherds that are 4 weeks old 3 reds and 6 red merels. Good luck with your dog.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Chapter President

I'm afraid ole' Kiowa is a little too old to learn new tricks.

Thanks for the offer on the pups, but I still have three other dogs to contend with. Woody, my 120# Lab/Akita mix is a tripod, but gets around great with just one front leg. He'a another example of my weakness for my animals. He was hit by a car a few years ago and it took him three days to get his way home. Since the leg was shattered so bad at the shoulder, it was put him down or loose the leg.....needless to say what my decision was. We also have a 14 yo Min Pin that's deaf and has stiff joints. Then there's my four yo Bordor Collie mix that has more energy then any living thing should have.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator

My sweetie below got cancer in her back legs and I had to do the worst. Hope you have better luck.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1
Old 03-06-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
My sweetie below got cancer in her back legs and I had to do the worst. Hope you have better luck.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1
she is a beauty! i just found out my boxer has heart, and hook worms a week ago. doc said it would take about half my paycheck to fix him. when you're a dog lover (and it seems we all are) you'll do pretty much whatever it takes to keep 'em healthy and happy. a dog we had owned for about 12 years was hit by a car about a 1 1/2 ago and it just tore me up! i cried like a big baby as i dug her grave. but, dammit, i love my dogs!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 AM

That just breaks my heart. I know the Heelers are notorious for hip and leg problems, but i hate to think what it sill be like if mine ever gets down. Mine jumped out of the back of the truck and broke his rear leg and I thought I was going to die. I cant stand to see any animal in pain, espeacially my boy Ralph. I wish you and your Heeler the best of luck. I will keep her in my prayers and me and Ralph will have a "Fetch" session in honor of her. Here's Ralph. He's only 1yr and 3 months old.

img]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/35820PDT_055-med.jpg[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM

Heeler problem

Ask your vet about rimadil. I believe that is the spelling. It is just a pill and no shots. If that has been tried ask the vet to research, with large animal vets, the treatment for the same general problem in horses. Our vet used a horse remedy on our dog, aged 14, years ago and it gave him a couple of more good years.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Chapter President

The vet had her on some big bown pills for two weeks, and they were no help. He is more of a horse and cow Dr and said that's about all he could do for her. I ask again.................
Old 03-07-2006, 06:34 PM

U might ask the vet about rimadyl, I give it to my hunting dogs when they are stiff and sore and it brings them right around. I also give 1 a day to a old setter that can't hardly get around if she don't have them because of arthitis. But with the 1 a day she is up and full of spunk...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
That just breaks my heart. I know the Heelers are notorious for hip and leg problems, but i hate to think what it sill be like if mine ever gets down. Mine jumped out of the back of the truck and broke his rear leg and I thought I was going to die. I cant stand to see any animal in pain, espeacially my boy Ralph. I wish you and your Heeler the best of luck. I will keep her in my prayers and me and Ralph will have a "Fetch" session in honor of her. Here's Ralph. He's only 1yr and 3 months old.

img]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/35820PDT_055-med.jpg[/img]

Since when did heelers start having tails????
Old 03-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
U might ask the vet about rimadyl, I give it to my hunting dogs when they are stiff and sore and it brings them right around. I also give 1 a day to a old setter that can't hardly get around if she don't have them because of arthitis. But with the 1 a day she is up and full of spunk...
I'll ask the Vet and try the one-a-day, but her back legs are completely useless.

I've seen some heelers with tails, but not many. I cut Kiowas and the six other pups tails off when the were only about an hours old.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:54 PM

A Heeler has to have his tail to be an efficient herder. Docking of tales is purely for asthetics for the owner. If you want an Australian Cattle Dog to do his job, hes got to have a tail.

http://www.cattledog.com/misc/faq.html#tail

http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian..._dog/index.cfm

Quick Reply: Old Heeler....Rear Leg Help