Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Oilfielder's

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not concerned about making the most money. Rather I am thinking of supporting a family in the next couple of years then however many beyond it to raise the kids.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking for a job in the coal or oil fields out in Wyoming (Gillette area) for a while now. My big dilemma is that I have a bachelor's degree, so I could probably get a more comfortable job elsewhere. However, a degree might open up some opportunities in the energy industry, and pretty much any job in coal or oil pays well. decisions decisions!

Most of the jobs start at $20+ per hour with great benefits. One large problem is that housing is very hard to find and it is very expensive, particularly in Gillette and Rock Springs. Gillette sort of has a "college town" reputation, where everything is overpriced. Crime and drugs are a real problem out there, too. Of course, Wyoming probably gets a rep that it doesn't deserve and problems are blown out of proportion, but I still wouldn't call it the ideal place to live. Just some things to consider. Good luck in whatever you do, Jon!!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

My brother owns a business based out of Gillette. He still lives here in Az. One of our buddies, his business partner loves it there. Says he wouldnt want to raise his kids anywhere else. Sure it has problems, meth being one of them. It isnt as bad as it is made out to be though. I love it there, plan on moving there eventually.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM

for the professionals, what schooling can I do to help get a job/advance in the oilfield. Sounds like something i'd like to do. I've been plumbing for about 6-7 years so I have some exp. welding, thank you for your time
Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Here's a blow out I got in teh e-mail the other day. Happened here in Tx.

Merrick
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 AM

Seems the driller was not doing his job, as his hands didn't know where the safety valve wrench was. Even though I haven't drilled in a few years, that is the first thing I look for every morning when I walk on the floor.
There is a problem offshore and on land rigs in that there is a lack of experienced hands, and then you have those that are moved up too fast.
Still almost all blowouts are human error.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 AM
BPM

Location: Shreveport LA for 10 days at a time, Groveton TX the rest
I work in the area where that rig blew out. It was weird one day we drove by and it was there and then the next time it was gone! I work for Halliburton and work out of the Caldwell, TX office so we go to Franklin religiously day in day out. The only advice I can give to those looking to get into the oilfield is get ready to work. I work 11 on and 3 off and I'm on call 24 hours a day, so I find myself busy most of the time.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM

do you guys know any rigs that are on the CA side? Is it possible to fly to work from CA then fly back when im off? My family and I are planning to move to Texas, but I have to find work and like it/ switch ins. etc, before my wife will do it.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by vr1967
Seems the driller was not doing his job, as his hands didn't know where the safety valve wrench was. Even though I haven't drilled in a few years, that is the first thing I look for every morning when I walk on the floor.
There is a problem offshore and on land rigs in that there is a lack of experienced hands, and then you have those that are moved up too fast.
Still almost all blowouts are human error.
Talk about human error. I wonder if they had a float valve in the bit sub? In the early nineties a friend of my, J.E., got burned up when a driller opened the annular preventers instead of closing the blinds. They were drilling around Lake Somerville, Texas with a Pride rig. Lack of experience is definately a problem in the drilling industry today. People with more responsibility and less experience is what we are seeing more and more of. I don't have many years left, thank goodness. Ed B
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Unfortunately, I seen alot of float subs that don't work or fail. I won't mention some of the suppliers out there, but they are well known. A perfect example was the last well I was on - put in a brand new float sub and we had flow up the drill string when the well decided to flow on us. Young driller, but he was on the ball thank goodness - then again, his Dad pushed another rig, so he had home schooling.

I am getting tired.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by eddiebob
Do land contractors still run kelly rigs? The last land rig I worked on (1996) we were drilling a horizontal well with a 2500# Williams rotating head. When the wells pressure exceded the 2500# rating and rolled the rubber up the drill pipe the driller looked at me (with fear in his eyes) and said what do I do? I told him to space out his tool joint and shut the Hydril. My guess on the blowout pictures are human error and then maybe equipment failure. Ed B
There are a few kelly rigs still running. Mostly small old rigs that are doing workovers that I know about.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by BLACKDODOGE
do you guys know any rigs that are on the CA side? Is it possible to fly to work from CA then fly back when im off? My family and I are planning to move to Texas, but I have to find work and like it/ switch ins. etc, before my wife will do it.
If you work offshore or international (28 on/28 off rotation) then you can live wherever you want.

There is some work in CA, but not much at least for our equipment.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:00 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, but I will put in my 2 cents.

I work as a landman, some know what that term means, and some dont. I do research on the minerals, so people, like drillers, seismic, etc, can go and do their thing. I contact/meet with mineral owners so they can sign and Oil and Gas Lease, and deliver checks. I am working for ConocoPhillips right now, in the Victoria TX area.

My opinion about roughnecks is that they are one of the hardest working people on this earth. Their fingers are about the size of 3 of mine, and that doesnt come from picking daisies. it is very hard, tough, dirty work, and you are outside exposed to Mother Nature. they say the favorite tool of a roughneck is a sledgehammer. watch the shows on Discovery channel, such as 'Wildcatters'. if it was easy, then everyone would do it. You live out of a hotel, which I am in right now, which gets old after a while, and usually in some small town, with very little to do. I eat out of the same 4 or 5 restaurants every week. You cant put anything on the hotel walls, and eating out EVERY MEAL gets redundant.

I live in Houston, but I have travelled to Indiana, Kentucky, Midland TX, Goliad TX, Plainview TX, College Station TX, Big Lake TX, and now Victoria TX.

yes, the money is good, but you travel an awful lot, and dont get to see your family. I think it will strain a marriage, and wont be easy. I get paid per diem, mileage, and $35/day for meals. I get to write off a lot of things, such as tires, oil changes, and diesel because I made myself incorporated.

I have a college degree, and I think that i will not be doing this for the rest of my life. Most of the older guys have big pot bellies, a drinking problem, and divorced and have been doing this for their whole lives.

just my opinion
Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM

WUnderwood, I see what you are saying. I am young (19) with no GF or wife, can travel, not afraid of hard work, looking for something that will support a future family, and be able to work my way up the ladder, the right way. These are three things I have to think of: 1) Will it support a family of 8? (Me, wife, 6 kids ) 2) Is there room to work my way up? and 3) Is it somewhere that I want to live? (Rocky mountain area) The job I am at right now does not completely complete those though not many do around here.

I am not thinking about this lightly. I am seriously considering it while at the same time questioning myself "Do I really......?"
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM

dieselJon,
Thats why I work offshore, overseas. I can live anywhere I want, and the company pays for my transportation to and from work. I work a 28 and 28 schedule, so in reality, though I don't see my family every day, I DO get to spend more time with them.
Virgil