Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Oilfielder's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering where they were going with the semi's. We drill all over the world. Get too spend a lot of time in port sometimes too. Going Home tomorrow. Have the 8:20 flight to Tokyo.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He a good time off, I have 3 more weeks to go.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM

I am only goin home for 2 weeks and then off to the Chikyu in Japan. Its a Japanese drill ship that basically does the same work we do. Ill be there for about a month and then back home for a couple of weeks before comin back to Singapore. After these 60 day hitches I could hold bears nose in a snuff can for 28.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM

gonna go ahead and bump this, anyone in the industry aware of any entry level opportunities? looking to get out of trucking.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by hovisimo
gonna go ahead and bump this, anyone in the industry aware of any entry level opportunities? looking to get out of trucking.
Do you have a CDL? Haliburton will run you thru a training course and put you in a truck if you pass your states CDL tests. If you quit or get run off within 6 months, you loose your last pay check for the course. I have a buddy thats been running a frac truck locally for a couple years now. pay is decent for truck driving since he is paid per hour with a per diem instead of per mile.

We have some 800 positions open internally (only for people with the company already). Any of these that aren't filled when we get busy, will be opened up outside, but that wont be for a while.

Oh, re-read your post, but leaving the info for others.
what are you looking for? drilling? technical? services?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Do you have a CDL? Haliburton will run you thru a training course and put you in a truck if you pass your states CDL tests. If you quit or get run off within 6 months, you loose your last pay check for the course. I have a buddy thats been running a frac truck locally for a couple years now. pay is decent for truck driving since he is paid per hour with a per diem instead of per mile.

We have some 800 positions open internally (only for people with the company already). Any of these that aren't filled when we get busy, will be opened up outside, but that wont be for a while.

I gather by your mention of internally posted jobs that you work for "Big Red". Good place to work.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM

actually, one of their competators.
I have friends that work for big red.
They can be a good company to work for, but they believe that no matter where you are, you are representing the company. This can be tough for some people to handle.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!

Wow.... I was just talking to my wife about this how I would still like to do this....
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 PM

jobs are opening up. jump on now, get 6 months or a year, you can go offshore, international, or just work locally.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
anything entry level where I can travel and make some money. I don't really know where to start since my industry experience is limited to delivering frac and pipe to yards on a flatbed truck. I delivered to Halliburton somewhere in northwest New Mexico once, should have asked the kid who unloaded me how he got in.

Originally Posted by dieselJon
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!

Wow.... I was just talking to my wife about this how I would still like to do this....
I remembered reading it a couple years ago, couldn't find any leads so I started driving for TMC in Des Moines, IA (black Peterbilts, you may have seen them) which at the time paid 60k a year, and it... 'aint... right now, so if I'm going to travel for work and risk my life every day it's going to have to be for a liveable wage.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by hovisimo
anything entry level where I can travel and make some money. I don't really know where to start since my industry experience is limited to delivering frac and pipe to yards on a flatbed truck. I delivered to Halliburton somewhere in northwest New Mexico once, should have asked the kid who unloaded me how he got in.
Consider how much travel you want and where.
I know guys that spend every other month in Kazakhstan and only spend three weeks a year in the US. They started on a fishing crew for Weatherford (find a weatherford fishing and rental shop and talk to them).
I know another guy that runs a frac truck for Haliburton. runs all over Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, but it usually home for the weekends.
These are two extremes, but gives you an idea of how much travel and how far is possible.
I know another guy working for Baker that comes into the US for a week around Christmas to visit his kids, otherwise he lives in Indonesia working as an O.S.S. Indo is nice, you have a maid, driver, chef, and gardener that cost you about $100/month each (high indonesian wages) and your making $200/day and the company is covering taxes).
A guy Im now working with spent the last two years working in Azer, off months were spent snow boarding in some of the former soviet countries or laying on beaches in Tunis.

Go talk to the managers at some of the local stores and see what they can teach you while your working there then move on in six months.
Mostly international will be management or skilled jobs. Local muscle is cheap.