Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Oilfielder's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted a link earlier for oilfieldworkers.com or something like that.

google oilfield jobs and you will probably find several links to get into it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM

do you know anything about that enform training in Canada?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Transocean: deepwater.com
Noble: noblecorp.com
Halliburton: halliburton.com
Global Santa Fe: globalsantafe.com
Schlumburger: slb.com/careers
Diamond Drilling: diamondoffshore.com
Ryan Directional/Nabors Drilling: nabors.com
Seadrill: seadrill.com
Baker Hughes: bakerhughes.com
Scientific Drilling: scientificdrilling.com
GyroData: gyrodata.com
Weatherford Drilling: weatherford.com
Also, get a copy of the Houston, Texas (Houston Post) and Lafayette, La., (Daily Advertiser) Sunday want ads. I talked to an old friend who does the hiring at Pathfinder in Lafayette. He said they will not be hiring until after the first of the year. I would say the main thing is to get out on a rig and see what really goes on. Then it is easier to decide on a job path. Ed B
Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKDODOGE
do you guys know any rigs that are on the CA side? Is it possible to fly to work from CA then fly back when im off? My family and I are planning to move to Texas, but I have to find work and like it/ switch ins. etc, before my wife will do it.
If you work a 7/7 etc. you can live wherever you want. Only with some companies you travel on your own time and dollar. When I was working 7/7 I had a one way commute of 813 mi. all expenses on me. I never regretted it. It was once a week. Now that I'm 28/28. I still travel on my own time but the Company pays for all expenses from my doorstep. I work for a Major and love it. It's probably been in here already but I haven't waded all the way through.
If you are working in production, drilling or workover then you will generally work a set schedule. 7/7, 14/14, 28/28 etc. If you are a service hand then there is usually not a set schedule and with the boom you will be working can to can't. You can make more money this way and see a lot more variety of places, but it is rougher on a family. Just my .03
Old 11-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by vr1967
dieselJon,
Thats why I work offshore, overseas. I can live anywhere I want, and the company pays for my transportation to and from work. I work a 28 and 28 schedule, so in reality, though I don't see my family every day, I DO get to spend more time with them.
Virgil
VR? where are you at? I currently work in Angola. I love 28/28, so does my wife. I won't kid anyone it's not always easy, but I think it's worth it. I get to spend 25 days straight with my kids. Volunteer and do stuff with them at school. Most times I'm the only Dad around. Now I will say this. Not every wife is an Offshore wife. If she isn't it an offshore wife it doesn't make here a bad wife. Just one that can't handle the schedule. The spouse has to be pretty independent and be able to handle lot's on her own when you are offshore. You can usually be contacted by phone, but in an emergency it may take you a couple of days to get home. That being said I would not want to work anyplace else besides the Patch. I had to do a temporary assignment in Houston. Working in the office for 9 months working 5/2. I don't know how anyone can live like that long term.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blue3quarter
Not trying to hijack but this thread caught my interest. What kind of opprotunities are out there for a diesel mechanic/welder with experience in X-Large diesel engines, trucks and heavy equipment repair. I've already completed a 2 yr course for and A.S. in Diesel Tecchnology and I'm currently in an apprenticeship through the railroad as a Locomotive Machinst. My apprenticeship ends July 08 and I've been thinking of switching jobs. I really like to work on large engines like whats in a Loco. By the time my apprenticeship is up I'll have 2 yrs at the RR, and a few yrs prior to that I worked on trucks.
There are a lot of opportunity's for good mechanics. Are you working on EMD's? Lot's of rigs and boats have EMD drivers. Also Cat, DD, are used on lots of pumps and Gen/sets. If you get a job in production or drilling then you will work on engines anywhere from 10HP to 37,000hp various brands. If you work for a service company such as Stewart & Stevenson then you will specilize more. Also lots of demand for mech's with compressor and large Gas Engine experience, Clark, Waukesha, Cooper-Bessmer, White-Superior. Dresser/ Ingersoll, Gardner/Denver etc. Also lots and lots of pumps of all shapes and sizes. I'm a Mech Supervisor, But I started as a grunt and worked my way up. In the black squad you do it all from Turd's to Turbines. It's what makes life interesting.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM

I prefer the offshore as I can't go down the road and spend money when I'm at work.
I have worked on 6 continents, but for those who think you see the world, you mostly see alot of airports.
That's what I'm talking about. For 28 days I don't spend a dime. Yeah, I have been to lot's of Airports. Some nice, Singapore, Kuala Lumpor, Narita, Amsterdam, Minneapolis, Seoul. Some OK, Quantan, Lambert Field, JFK, George Bush Int, Pusan, Ulsan, Durban, Johanasburg, Aberdeen, Seattle, O'Hare, Atlanta, Vegas, OKC, Dublin, Frankfurt. Some not so nice, Luanda, La Viev, Grand Isle,
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike,
I'm currently in Singapore building a rig that is going to the GOM. Not the assignment that I want, so I figure I will be sent to Korea on one of the drillships.Or worst case, go to the Gulf and get it up and running before transferring.
Take care
Virgil
Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

There are worse places to work than Singapore.

Greeting form Aktau, Kazakhstan...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 AM

I am also in Singapore doing renovations on our drill ship. Fixin to go home the 30th, yeeeeehaaaa. Its been a long 2 months. My schedule is 60 and 60.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by overcomer401965
I am also in Singapore doing renovations on our drill ship. Fixin to go home the 30th, yeeeeehaaaa. Its been a long 2 months. My schedule is 60 and 60.
Are you on the ship right at the entrance to Jurong Shipyard? I'm assigned to the semi with the derrick on it in the yard (there are 3 others there with no drill package)

Virgil
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 AM

Yeah thats us. We are supposed to be out in June or so. First hitch will be Hawaii.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Mike,
so I figure I will be sent to Korea on one of the drillships.
To a yard or drilling? I spent 8 months rotating at HHI in Ulsan, I loved it. Great people cheap food and very safe around town. The town wasn't very pretty. basically like Detroit but with NO CRIME. We where there for finishing up the build up and started commissioning. The people at HHI were a pretty good bunch but not what I would call Safety Concious. I've not been too the Daewoo yard but I hear that it's pretty decent there as well. Just have to stay away from the Soju. I would take another assignment in Korea in a Heartbeat.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM

Are you on the ship right at the entrance to Jurong Shipyard? I'm assigned to the semi with the derrick on it in the yard (there are 3 others there with no drill package)

Virgil
They put the Topsides on a few of our last FPSO's there. I only flew through there. I know lot's of folks that spent quite a bit of time there. The place has a great Airport. The Business lounge is first class.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
To a yard or drilling?.
We are building the new semis here in Singapore and the new drillships in Korea. They have assigned me to a semi that has a contract in the GOM, but I haven't worked in the Gulf in 12 years, prefering to stay overseas. One of the last semis to be built is going to Brasil, which is where I prefer to go back to. The drillship they are talking of putting me on is going to Nigeria. Not my choice of places to go, as I worked there a while already, but we'll just have to see...
Take care