Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

OBDII to laptop interfaces - which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
OBDII to laptop interfaces - which one to get?

Now that I have a laptop (one of those Thanksgiving week sales that was too good to pass up) I'm interested in getting an OBDII interface and software to talk to the vehicles I maintain. I've done some poking around and the variety is mind boggling. Everything from homebrew boxes with freeware to pro quality stuff that does everything the OEM scan tools can. Here's what I have: a modern laptop with USB ports, a '96 Cherokee, a '98 Neon, and an '01 Grand Caravan. The Neon and the Cherokee are pretty simple, but I'd like to be able to talk to the body computers on the GC. I'm not sure I can do that without spending wads of cash.

So anyway, what do I need to know, what should I buy, and what should I avoid like an '03 6.0 Powerstroke?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whichever you decide on, a PCMCIA plug-in 9-pin serial adaptor will give your laptop RS232 capabilities, to avoid the USB hassles - most scanner pcware has problems with the USB interface, particularly if using a USB to serial adaptor

Question the vendor as to Chrysler specifics, as it appears to be Mitsubishi derivative
Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM

check out Auterra.com, I have thier PDA based unit and it works like a charm and does a whole lot more than just pull codes. I have looked at their PC based unit and will probably get it after the holidays. I talked to them when I got my Dodge CTD, as their site says that diesels may not be fully implemented. They wouldn't comfirm whether it would read the Dodge so I haven't updated, but I use it on other vehicles so not working on the Dodge is not a deal breaker.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by gmctd
Whichever you decide on, a PCMCIA plug-in 9-pin serial adaptor will give your laptop RS232 capabilities, to avoid the USB hassles - most scanner pcware has problems with the USB interface, particularly if using a USB to serial adaptor
No PCMCIA on this laptop, just USB. Thanks for the heads up - sounds like it might be best to spend the money for a scanner/software package that doesn't use an adapter.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Get Autotap
Old 12-24-2006, 10:45 AM

I went cheap and got an "Auto Enginuity". Its a usb to serial obd connector.
http://autoenginuity.com/
It doesnt do a "whole lot" but it shows you codes, lets you monitor the sensors, and actually do some data logging.

It also clears check engine lights.

It has a performance tester program too, but i havent played with it much. Im guessing it times how long it takes the vehicle to get to 60 mph or the odo to tick 1/4 mile and gives you numbers based off that.

The HP/TQ #'s are way off, stock it said I had 900 ft lb.

Depends on how much $$ you wanna spend. The autoenginuity is only about $250 off ebay.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Now that I have a laptop (one of those Thanksgiving week sales that was too good to pass up) I'm interested in getting an OBDII interface and software to talk to the vehicles I maintain.
Different vehicles require different ODBII connectors. You won't be able to get one for all of your vehicles. I tried getting one for my truck, but it's a very specific one and the cable alone was about $250 on eBay and that's ridiculous. Do you want to use this on your 93 CTD? Does that even have OBDII?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by drolex
Different vehicles require different ODBII connectors. You won't be able to get one for all of your vehicles. I tried getting one for my truck, but it's a very specific one and the cable alone was about $250 on eBay and that's ridiculous. Do you want to use this on your 93 CTD? Does that even have OBDII?
I have an old Auto X-Ray scanner (non-OBDII) I picked up at a yard sale that can talk to my truck. The PCM on that truck doesn't give much info, and the truck will run fine without it, so I don't feel the need to connect my laptop to my truck.

I'm pretty sure the other three vehicles have the same OBDII port, since they are all DaimlerChrysler products and none of them are new enough to have the CAN bus.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by Move'n Up
Get Autotap
Any particular reason why?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked this up last week and have used it on a 99 Honda CRV, 03 Jeep GC and an 03 Mazda Tribute. Works great, plus the software is free. You can download the software and run it in demo mode to play with it. They say you can use a USB->Serial Converter, my laptop has a serial port so I didn't need it. I've enjoyed it so far! Just my opinion...

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/
Old 12-25-2006, 04:46 AM

As some have observed,the newer laptops no longer have serial ports but it doesn't take much computing power to run most OBD software so you should be able to find an old laptop for well under $100.00 that would work just fine for OBD software.Even an old 486 should be enough.The only drawback would be that you might sacrifice some mobility as those old laptops very likely would need a new battery and that would be expensive IF you could even find one so you might be limited to AC power to do your troubleshooting.
I have an old IBM 701c laptop which is a 486 and I use it on the internet with a wireless card and it does the job.I am not saying that I use that for practical browsing,I am just saying that it works if I needed it to.Ron G