Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

'Nuther GM Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Nuther GM Recall

From CNN.com

Click Here

Snippet:
DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. is recalling 804,000 full-size pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of potential brake problems, federal safety regulators said Tuesday.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said unwanted application of the antilock brake system in some vehicles can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed braking and may result in a crash.
Vehicles affected by the recall include the Chevrolet Avalanche and Silverado pickups and the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe SUVs. The GMC Sierra pickup and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs are also affected. All 804,000 vehicles trucks are from the 1999-2002 model years, NHTSA said.

~Rob
Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 PM

ITS ABOUT TIME!!! I can't tell you how many of those I had to fix. The fix is to replace the front wheel bearing assemblies. The problem is that during easy braking to a stop, at around 5 mph the ABS kicks in and releases the brakes. It doesn't happen during harder braking, just easy stops. The explanation I was given is that the tone ring in the bearing assembly gets out of round, and picks up a false signal. I know of 4 personal friends and family who had the problem, and its not cheap to fix. Hopefully they will be reimbursing people who already had to pay to fix their trucks.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wifes Grand Prix does the same thing. We already fixed it once last spring and now its doing it again. Maybe I should see if I can talk nice and get them to consider it(wishfull thinking.)
Old 08-31-2005, 12:57 PM

I wonder if "The General" will pony up for all the litigation arising from minor rear-end collisions?
Yeah right!

Keith
Old 08-31-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 99 Siverado and hated the brakes almost from the beginning. Dealer said they were ok. I can still see a kid's face in the back of a mini-van as I was bearing down on them on the freeway. I was standing on the brakes and doing my best to bend the steering wheel. Got it stopped about three feet from their bumper.

I had a couple of scary incidences in hard stops and was one of the reasons for getting rid of it and going up to the Dodge. First time I got on the big Dodges brakes, I almost couldn't get the smile off my face.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:31 PM

Huh my anti lock lite has been on since new (side cutters do amazing things)
Threshold braking. That's the ticket!!