Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

NTSB recommends "Black boxes" for all vehicles made in the USA!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a surprise, Canada is already doing it. And taking away your gun rights faster than the US!!
Old 12-02-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dosent Ferd and others have them in their cars and trucks to monitor RPMs speeds etc, part of the computer control system. Big rigs have GPS to track them, our UPS driver has a deal where if he is stopped longer than their allowed time per stop he gets written up or confronted about it. I agree that the pay per mile is bogus. some politician came up with it I think. nice if you can sit on your azz all day and not rack up any miles, what about us that have to drive 100 miles a day for work cause you were run out of the area by overpriced housing by the same greedy puke who came up with this idea. Screw the workin class some more it would seem. Whens it gonna stop.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Banned

What I heard was that they were testing GPS black boxes in Oregon because the politicians are sick of hybrids getting off easy on the gasoline tax.

Yes, this is an incredibly obvious abridgement of freedom and needs to be combated at every step.

Yes, if it was mandated I would disable it immediatly.

I don't care about accident information recorders. Well, I would like to not see them, but compared to GPS, they pale in comparison.

And what do you think OnStar is? The idea of people being able to track me at all times is KIND OF scary...
Old 12-02-2004, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your cell phones have just now been hit....

I work for a cell phone company - but I don't wear the pink shirts they give us - you figure out the company...

The FCC has mandated that we provide a 10M GPS coordinate to the emergency service when we route a 911 call.

Point is all we have to do is pull your # up on a PC and we get a realtime GPS coordinate at 10M accuracy where you are at that moment...

OnStar is a perfect example of this.

I think I'm gonna invest in copper mesh - maybe start making copper mesh socks for your ECMs.... or maybe for your whole car with a built in zipper for the doors. Sorry - conspiracy theory kicking in....
Old 12-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Banned

Good. I refuse to own a cell phone too...

What about beepers? Can they track those? What if the cell phone's off? Can they track it then?

How do they track cell phones? Triangulation from reciever stations, I'd assume?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:17 PM

If they're off then they are dead (out of the system).

They are using TDOA (Time Difference Of Arrival). Each cell site (tower) has a GPS receiver in it and a specific GPS coordinate assigned to it. Everyone except Sprint, Verizon, Nextel use a form of TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) technology. Basically Timing ih how they stagger phases within the bandwith (Air wave) thus stack multiple calls on one line (also called Time Slots). With digital communication this is easy. The whole technology (GSM, TDMA) is timing dependant. All of the QOS (Quality Of Service) parameters are based upon timing (offset, shift, etc.). All this new TDOA equipment does is just monitor the timing delay in the return signal that the site uses anyway to track the phone to determine how to adjust it's power output to maximize transmission power to the phone to save your battery life. It then triangulates the azimuths based upon differential of arrival bact to the site to determine you exact distance from the sites at what angle (azimuth) then crunches that info in a CO (Central Office) located box with the static GPS coordinates of the sites and pukes out a 10M accurate GPS coordinate of where you are. All cellular technologies can always tell approximately where you are by just seeing what sector of what cell you are camping in and then viewing your signal strength, compare it iwth the surrounding sectors and any tech can guestamate your location to about 1/2 mile. You question about pagers: Yes, in the same way of guestamation listed above. If they are off then your transparent to them...

Black boxes (ECMs) in cars are never powered off - they always have power so long as the battery is connected. You see how small cell phones are - their transceivers are even smaller - small enough to be concealed inside your ECM so when caop want to track you it's ne problem - when they want to pull you over they dial your VIN and you car dies or electronicly controled transmission goes into neutral - the sky is the limit - and best of all you don't know about it.....
Old 12-05-2004, 05:59 AM

...I want my stealthy '79 PowerWagon back!!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 AM

here, about the satellites......
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ I found my house on there.