Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

NTSB recommends "Black boxes" for all vehicles made in the USA!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont kid yourselves guys - the technology is already in place....just an extension of OBD II
Old 12-01-2004, 11:51 PM

Anybody have a cell phone?????????? GPS in your cell phone right now! I don't like the idea but like Dr. Evil said it's already here.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:23 AM

It wont be long before the police will be shutting down engines of vehicles that are in high speed chases. Not that I condone high speed chases, but that kind of thing is pretty scary.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

i am fairly confident in the ability of the man to apprehend the necessary or usual suspects. I mean is there anywhere in a city when we are not in the range of some sort of camera. Now whether or not it's on us is one thing but if someone really wanted to, they could have a pretty good view of almost everything. I mean if someone wrecks into my wife's car and it's rips it apart, i'm gonna guess that their car is gonna be severly damaged and then one might also presume that rarely am i out on a road where i only see one other car so I may think that someone else would see it too. I mean the cops **** near always get their guy when it's a violent crime of that nature. Not all the time. I mean look how long bin laden's ben dead oops i mean been hiding. Infarred satellites, i read something about over 4 million cameras in the country for local and state authorities( not sure if that's close or not but if it is ****) somebody would see something i mean what do we have 280 folks in the country and half of them call the cops for anything. Today someone called matter of fact on a red over grey chevy and it was traveling in excess of 85 mph. ain't that some snitch work. 85 only 10 over and i believe most folks say 5 is genuinely alotted in most states. Or 4 over is. I'm really glad someone hasn't done that to me when i was just having fun. In ending i would also hope that my wife would be smart enough and alert enough to be able to avoid an accident. I finally had my first fender bender after like 15 years with no issues, if she pays attention she could avoid the idiot hopefully, then again why is that tramp out so **** late u know
lol
Old 12-02-2004, 12:37 AM

Dr. Evil, they've already talked about that exact thing, but they can't figure a way to do it without losing brakes and steering. Give them time and they will figure it out
Old 12-02-2004, 12:42 AM

OK....

On a somewhat related note.....did any of you guys see "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith and Gene Hackman???....I think that movie is more truth than fiction. If you havent seen it, check it out. It will scare the hell out of you.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:46 AM

I really enjoyed the movie until I realized most of the high tech stuff wasn't just made up????? It's scary to know they can pin point you pretty much anywhere. I have a Yukon and calling Onstar to get them to unlock the doors brings it home to you.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Banned

i heard of some fool who took a yukon stole it i guess. Disabled the onstar. then he parked it in some corn field in kansas and they found it with 36 hrs. even without the gps so that tells u something right there

Like i said if they spend all this time and money on a cure for cancer or aids, or feeding hungary, the rest of the world wouldn't think of us the way they do. Not that i care what they think but i'd rather be somewhat civil and easy going then hated or downright tollerable at best to some less fortunate people in other places

i mean how many sattelite do we need. what 100 isn't enough or how ever many we have. i yelled, no i take that back i screamed at that guy and i can't remember his name to save my live he gave me to some lady and i saved her number some wanna be big wig at the finance dept. What is that about he sets me up with the finance folks. that's the last department i wanted. Give me tech support or engineering or anything but i emailed them over and over and no response. I never did call that guy anymore that gives me an idea lol
Old 12-02-2004, 03:14 AM

Thats the glory of an old 6.2L Chevy - you can start it, disconnect the batteries, rip all the wires off the engine and drive it around for ever - computer goodies don't work with out electricity and wires...
Old 12-02-2004, 03:23 AM
Banned

i'm gonna get a camo unicycle to be in cognito
Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 AM

Does this mean they are going to track your location and speed and send you tickets in the mail if you pass the posted speed limit?? Bet it happens somewhere some day
Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM

At my place of employment all the vehicles have cellular based GPS. This tracks every move you make date, hour, second, position on earth. It also keeps track of the times you start and stop the engine etc etc. They say its for tracking stolen vehicles. The unit has a memory that stores the data if you are out of cell range and reports that data when you get service again. We are also having labour contract issues.
Big Brother ?????
Old 12-02-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the article I read Only GM puts it in every vehicle "right now" But they can "read" brake line pressure, % of throttle, speed, cornering "g"s, etc. etc. and they have used this to convict people. They also operate under the premise that the black box is "not your property" even though you paid for the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by jughed440
Does this mean they are going to track your location and speed and send you tickets in the mail if you pass the posted speed limit?? Bet it happens somewhere some day
Some rental car companies use their GPS equiped cars to do just that.
Exceed the posted limit by X MPH, they tack a surcharge on when you turn in the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:11 AM

The Vancouver police use "bait cars" to catch car theives. These cars are equipped with gps and transponders, video cams and two way voice receivers. The Cops can monitor, track and disable these vehicles (any make or model). Transit buses, tour buses and taxie's all have the black boxes already...so yeah, it's coming.

Quick Reply: NTSB recommends "Black boxes" for all vehicles made in the USA!!