Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Motorcycle riders, have you wrecked?
Yes, I've wrecked but continue to ride.
38.18%
Yes, I've had multiple wrecks, but still ride
25.45%
Yes, and I gave up riding afterwards.
14.55%
Yes, and am physically unable to ride due to said wreck.
3.64%
No wrecks yet, but I know I'm due.
12.73%
No, I'll never wreck, I know what I'm doing.
5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Not a question of "If" but "When"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dad had one, him and mom would go out ridin for 2 or 3 hours every sunday or saturday. They sold it before they got into a wreck. in the paper here, it got so that every weekend 2 or 3 people were killed because they either hit someone or someone hit them. . .
Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by MCMLV
Lary, there is gambling going on here?, err... you have done illegal things? I am shocked!
Now where are my winnings?
Yep I was young and dumb once too it was during the time I was a Democrat Thankfully I grew older and wiser
Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 PM

ROTFLMAO! Lary, you owe me a keyboard!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have enough trouble with four wheels to try just two....At least when I hit the dirt off the horses they arent going tooo fast............
Glad yer OK tho Jerry....
Old 08-25-2005, 03:46 AM

VIRGIN HERE!

Yip I ride rarely and never been down yet. We had a Buell Blast 500CC thumper (single cylinder) traded that in on a 03 Buell Firebolt, 984 CC. I rode like twice without a hlemet. Not again that scares me. However, riding a bike I have even become more aware of my surrounding when I'm in my cage. Glad no permanent damge. Man all these stories make me not wanna ride right now.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The fact that we are here to tell those stories is a testament to wearing proper gear, and most importantly, Never riding faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 AM

Well I'm an off-roady so it was Mother dirt and rocks that got me.

Was racing up in the woods. Memorial day 1998 in PA. Rock slid off the hill side, cased the front wheel with it and off I went. I figured jumping off would save me as I landed and broke my shoulder, and leg. As I lay there looking up saying thank god, I see nothing but bottom fram of bike comming at my face increasingly fast. Well POW and smashy smashy. Bike is running and on side, I iget up and ride about a mile to a camp site. They ride me 10 miles to our site (yeah we ride in no mans land) Then get back to camp, drive to the local hospital ER. They look and say we can't help him. In comes the choper. Next I'm getting my first helicopter ride to the University of Pittsburg Medical Center (which I got yelled at for trying to look out the window of the helicopter believe it or not) Final diagnostics = Broken leg, shoulder, nose, fractured my complete jaw assembly, shatter eye socket, split upper hard pallete of mouth, severe concusions and some more little bones I no longer know the name of. The result = completly redesigned jaw made of titanium and Stainless steel (new and improved baby) Pins in my nose, plate in the upper part of my mouth, 135 stiches inside my mouth (they pealed my skin over my head to work on me? I refuese to watch the tape they made) Jaw wired shut for 4 months (lost 50lbs) then ankle surgery a year later, wrist surgery 2 years later (all for issues of the wreck). I think that's all for now (I don't remember everythign of it)

On the way back from teh hospital we actually stoped at the Yamaha dealer and bought another new bike. Believe it or not the guy said he's never seen a bike like that come in, and since it was so new they actually traded it out for a new one for free. They said they were going to use it to prove a point as to why helmits are so important and demonstrate things for there training class. I thought that was really cool. Had to buy all new riding gear (1,000) bucks worth since they cut everything off at the hospital. Talk about funny, they had no clue in heck how to cut the boots off = ) Guess I bought good ones, those siccors can cut a penny, but not my riding boots = )

Glad I'm still alive and although I still ride it's nothing like I used to, no more racing cause of it either. I have a girl by my side, about to be married, start our family with some kids, and that's far greater than any bike, truck or anything else in my life. Love to do it, but love her more not to
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
OUCH!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:47 AM

hope your doin ok Phox, i ride lots, if you do its only a matter of time till something bites you. i have been lucky enough to come out ok from hitting deer on two separate occasions.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:10 AM

As a young pup I use to get a bit wild and race motorcycles illegally. Most of my spills included gravel in corners, oil spilled, anti-freeze, etc.

Like shovelhead said, "Don't drive faster that you guardian angel"... Well all of those spills were low speed dumps. Usually came home with lots of street pizza on a leg or arm. But like shovelhead I was wearing leather jacket and jeans most times...

After moving to Idaho and having a close call with a deer... I've change my ways about racing and high speed bikes... I've been asphalt free for over 15+ years!

Now I've got a Goldwing 1100 and I love it... I don't plan on dump it either...
Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 AM

I had a couple of bikes in the past. I had a few close calls, but never laid it down (thankfully). When my son was born in 91', I decided to sell my 500 Shadow. I figured I needed to hang around for a while and raise him. I figured my odds were getting closer. I considered another bike a couple of years ago, and suddenly we were paged to a mva between a m/cycle vs car. He lived but it made my mind up for me. 4 wheels and CTD for me!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Yep I was young ...once too ... Thankfully I grew older and wiser
Ah, an admission... The good part is now I have hope too...Just please tell me how many more birthdays till I get to be wise like you?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 AM

I had a wreck 3yrs ago. I was out on a country road when I came down around a corner to a line down across the road. My first thought when i spotted the line was Oh *^#@* I'm going to get electicuted. So I layed my Road King down a & slid under the line but when the engine gaurds hit she flopped over the other way & tossed me. I broke 6 ribs on my backside, punctured my lung & had alot of road rash. I had been ridding for 35 yrs & other than some dirt bike crashes that was the first time down on a road bike. Got the bike back togeather, ins. payed, but with no pip the hospital bill was $14,000 & I sold the bike for $15,000 to pay it along with my 6 weeks loss of work. Havn't bought another bike, not that I'm afraid of ridding. Heck my dad was killed on his bike & that didn't stop me. But at 53 I thought maybe it's time to do something different.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you guys love riding motor cycles you'll LOVE flying light aircraft! The new FAA Sport Pilot Rule allows people to learn to fly cheaper than ever before. Its a great hobby and the rush beats bikes all the way! Not even close!

The cost of these "new" aircraft are alot less, uses car gas, (not aviation fuel at $$3.50 -$5 /gallon) and you can maintain them. If you can change an LP you can maintain an aircraft.

Try something new! Make a call today to a SPORT PILOT instructor and go for a test flight. Its FREE! You will learn more about yourself, your abilities, physics, science, weather. Its a blast!

I'm proof you can teach an old dog new tricks! I started at 47!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Affected my job, and much of my lifstyle. Won't put my friends and family through it again, and hospitals suck. I shouldn't be here right now so they tell me, called the folks in 3 different times to ask about donating. Not trying to whine, just my input for anybody on the fence. You should've seen all the riders in re-hab too. One guy, strike three, paralized from chest down. Took the ditch to avoid a crash on his full-dress. Got vaulted by something in the grass and broke his back. Twice this summer I've given medical instructions over the phone to a bike crash on the freeway. I still think about them, but just bite my cheek.

Quick Reply: Not a question of "If" but "When"