Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New York Transit Strike

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by candndelivery
You are right when you say its run by greed, but most of the time its the greed of the upper mgmt that sees nothing but a loss of their multi-million dollar bonuses when it comes to giving the working man a raise. I guess this is my Christmas wish.
this is my last post in this thread
Sorry this is your last post here. I just wanted to know if you were including the high paid, high rolling union bosses as "upper mgmt". Their salaries are paid by dues from the union members...right? Do you know how many retirement plans union officers can "buy" into? It's definatly more the one, and a lot more money then the members that pay their salaries. There a lot of levels of management in the union ladder and all have way more perks then the guys they supposedly represent...just like any big corporations.

And, a 25% pay increase over three years or so is pretty hefty by anyone's standard.

Retirement at 55? A lot of companies do that when their formula equals 55 and xx years of service to be fully vested. I know, I retired at 55 with 35 years of service.....from a non union company.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Chapter President

AND......my s.i.l. works for a heavly populated county sheriffs office, and he didn't start off near $16.02/hr. He's only needed in a time of crisis, and the transit people have folks that need them every day. They let them down at a time of the year they needed them most, not to mention the money it cost the retailers and service companys. The bad part is, they done it on purpose! All the time, probably knowing full well they would make people suffer for a few days and then go back into negoations.
Don't fire them all.....just the ones that called the shots. Ooops, you can't do that....they are the unions "upper mgmt".
Old 12-22-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!! I am at a loss of a...... My union let the company cut 1800 jobs (mine included) 11yrs with the company! I make a good living with my union job. But if there were no union I would still have a good job at my home plant! I DONT KNOW.-- Cant win! --I can see both sides. But I will stick with my union til the end (however near it may be).
Old 12-23-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Barry Smith
I haven't got 3% in 4 years.
Same here. In fact, I've barely gotten 8% combined in the last four years.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys just don't seem to be reading here. THE 8% IS JUST A STARTING POINT. Just like going to a dealer. The dealer starts high and comes down. You guys seem jealous that somebody may have it a little better than you. You can tell all the "horror" stories you want and you won't change anybody's mind. Just look at the other threads ON THIS FORUM. One guy asks about good dealer stories and look how that went. One guy asks about LASIK surgery and there are some horror stories there too. Since everybodys minds are made up this thread is done in my book.