Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New York Transit Strike

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyKraz
I attented a week long Union Avoidance Training class as forced to do by my business. The company I work for is deathly afraid of unions infiltrating any of our different businesses. As a matter of fact I was told that as the head of my facility, if the union ever did get a foothold, that I could start looking for another job. To me it seems that corporations afraid of the unions know that they are not treating their employees fairly. I haven't seen a raise in 2.5 years and I run a HUGELY profitable division. The most I am allowed to give employees as annual increases is 6%, but the company would prefer I give only 2 to 4%.
That is a great scare tactic. I also believe it is an illegal form of intimidation.
This is a good example as to why we need unions. You don't suppose that they are paying sub-standard wages do you? You suppose that the benefits (if any) are comperable to their union brothers? If you are not working for a decent wage, what happens if somone gets hurt or sick?
Tom
Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM

Look at the recent union movements, several are pulling from the AFL-CIO, that will change everything. Just because someone writes a book don't mean that its true, Al Franken wrote a book, I guarantee that its a crock. Every organization has some form of corruption, if it was a perfect world there wouldn't be a need for unions, but we all know its not a perfect world.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:38 PM

I have only visted New York and while there used public transit once. YOu couldn't pay me enough to work there. I saw a subway attended get spit on, cussed at, and pushed. She had no real recourse. Several out of our group ran to her aid but she was helpless. Other people just kept walking like nothing was going on.

These people are grouped with police and firemen. I hear one of the things they want is the same respect. Union or non-union the way these people are treated by customers is outragious.

I say bring all the SOBs to their knees and let em crawl to work.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:42 PM

There is something you guys seem to be forgetting about when it comes to wages. A Union Contract is not decided upon strictly by a Union. A contract is NEGOTIATED. If a contractor cannot afford a NEGOTIATED contract why would he/she sign it and agree to its contents?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MnTom
There is something you guys seem to be forgetting about when it comes to wages. A Union Contract is not decided upon strictly by a Union. A contract is NEGOTIATED. If a contractor cannot afford a NEGOTIATED contract why would he/she sign it and agree to its contents?
So why couldn't the fairs be raised to cover safe and dependable mass transit.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:51 PM

You're right, books don't make things true; but, the facts do. The union shakedown was around long before the book and it was well documented before. The book is just a good illustration from two individuals involved with labor for most of their careers, Linda Chavez Chavez, a former union official and Bush labor secretary nominee, and Daniel Gray, a former National Right to Work Committee official. One of the biggest atrocities is that union workers dues are used for political campaign donations without the consent of the workers. There have been teachers that have gone to court because they were very pro-life, yet their money was going to pro-choice groups and candidates against their will. I believe the statistic I remember was that somewhere around 40% of union members are Republican, yet Democrats are the benefactors of nearly 100% of all contributions made by union organizations. How's that for freedom of speech? Again, very "democratic" way of doing things by the unions...

By the way, just reported: NYC TRANSIT STRIKE HAS ENDED http://www.wnbc.com/traffic/5532275/detail.html
[/url]
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 PM

To avoid a strike till they can figure out an exit strategy, aka relocating overseas....
Old 12-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by candndelivery
So why couldn't the fairs be raised to cover safe and dependable mass transit.
It is my understanding that the hourly wage is not the point of contention here. The union and transit authority are sparring over pensions. Apparently, the workers are happy with their wages and feel well compensated. I wouldn't want my fares raised to cover someone else's retirement when I have to plan for my own...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:43 PM

well i have worked union and non union. i was in the sheetmetel workers for a while. and i was in the united aerospace workers. i have worked as a milwrite on and off for 10 years in different companys[all non union].andi have have worked non union for the past 10 years where i am at today. i can look back and see that i was always happier working non union. i didn't have to carry a bunch of dead beats, because they have seniority. when i need a raise, i go and talk to my boss about it, plain and simple. when i wanted to get into other types of work i went to school and learned some more things to bump up my resume. i saw unions [manufacturing]stick up for the worst deadbeats i have ever seen and get them back pay, when they were fired for stuff that i would have been fired over. but because i am not a miniorty, i would have lost my job. i still cannot belive some of the idiots they got jobs back. and some of the hardworking folks that they wouldn't lift a finger to help. i am proud to be non union. as a mater of fact the union stuck it to me the other day. i had a inteview at lockheed martin for a stationary engineer. they offered me 80% of top pay. they said they couldn't pay anymore because of a union agreement. i said no thanks. and the more i think about it the more i m glad they didn't offer top pay, i would have probably took the job and i would have remember all the reasons i was so glad to be out of the union. but i do support the trade unions, i even wish they were a bit stronger here in texas. i remember the first day of class as a sheetmetal apprentice. the instructor said the best sheetmetal worker will always have a job. but manufacturing unions, and civil service unions are some of the biggest sore spots i can think of.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by gobucks
To avoid a strike till they can figure out an exit strategy, aka relocating overseas....
So you are saying that the American worker should not demand the highest wage he or she can get in order to make the company richer?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by gobucks
You're right, books don't make things true; but, the facts do. The union shakedown was around long before the book and it was well documented before. The book is just a good illustration from two individuals involved with labor for most of their careers, Linda Chavez Chavez, a former union official and Bush labor secretary nominee, and Daniel Gray, a former National Right to Work Committee official. One of the biggest atrocities is that union workers dues are used for political campaign donations without the consent of the workers. There have been teachers that have gone to court because they were very pro-life, yet their money was going to pro-choice groups and candidates against their will. I believe the statistic I remember was that somewhere around 40% of union members are Republican, yet Democrats are the benefactors of nearly 100% of all contributions made by union organizations. How's that for freedom of speech? Again, very "democratic" way of doing things by the unions...

By the way, just reported: NYC TRANSIT STRIKE HAS ENDED http://www.wnbc.com/traffic/5532275/detail.html
[/url]
Like I said the AFL-CIO had a lot to do with it, I am conservative republican, I dont agree with the unions stance on politics but I believe alot is gonna change with unions leaving the AFL-CIO
Old 12-22-2005, 04:27 PM

So you are saying that the American worker should not demand the highest wage he or she can get in order to make the company richer?
Since your job is pretty much your livelihood, I would think you would want to have your company's interest in mind when negotiating your salary, as well. Unfortunately, in union shops, it's usually not a worker revolt that starts the negotiation process and other things seem to take precedent. You should always strive to make yourself better, but not at the expense of others. I guess the moral of the story is know your worth and work for the greater good.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

There are two kinds of unions: The weak ones and those are not worth talking about and the powerfull ones. Does corruption mean anything? Why is it that uniouns bring everything that hey are involved in to the lowest common denominator? Oh yes, without the unions everybody would be a slave and and after not being able to work would be thrown into a bottomless pit. Why is it that the exact wages that the poor workers make and want increased by 27% over three years are not published so that we can make an educated decision wether to side with them or the MTA. Again why is it that they should retire at 55? Actualt after one scrapes away the hype and hollow rhetoric TODAY'S unions are not about workers, benefits and so on. They are big business. Yes BIG business. Anyone know what union heads make? The political clout they carry? How much they go by the real need of the actual workers? How much money they USE for NOT the benefit of the members? Do not confuse the propaganda with the realities of today's life, economy, situation. Like Lary said, FIRE THEM.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Yea, you are right. FIRE THEM. Fire them for standing up for what they believe in. Fire them for having enough backbone to stand up for better working conditions. Fire them for even having the gall to have a collective voice. Yea, fire 'em.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:22 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, they're back to work for now. Looks like the State mediators talked the Union officals into having them work while they continue to negotiate.

Guess we'll see. All you guys that are losing sleep over those folks actually getting collective bargainaing and a fair wage can rest easy for now.

Quick Reply: New York Transit Strike