Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning.

TG, in Japan when we got so much snow there was nowhere else to put it, they just picked a spot in a big parking lot and made this huge pile. It was the size of the dirt/rock supply drop they pile along side of highways/road construction. Of course it took that mini-mountain forever to melt.

Originally Posted by Bark
Yeah, you kind of expect the really old guys like BobStanLaryMartin to be the ones with flow problems.
Might be from a lack of maintenance and abuse.
`
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shorts - every parking lot around Calgary has one of those piles this year. Sadly, in some cases it is also in the same corner where the spots with block heater plug-ins are. Oh wait, you have gone from DFW to Florida. Do I need to explain what a block heater is?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM

I'd think $300 each if they're in decent condition.
One is in running condition, hardware says it needs a muffler, other one needs cleaned up good and the flywheel put on, recoil, bar and chain.
You don't sharpen your own chains? Good luck with the Auto-tune's. I hear good things about them until they break, then no one seems to know how to fix them. Thankfully, Husky's seldom break!
I hit it with the file every time I gas up. It just needed a little more than I wanted to do by hand. I was cutting ash and locust with it.
I was very surprised at how light the new XP's were, even compared to the 455. A lot more expensive, too, but I think it would be worth the lighter weight, even if I had to go with a smaller displacement.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Originally Posted by Shorts
Morning.

TG, in Japan when we got so much snow there was nowhere else to put it, they just picked a spot in a big parking lot and made this huge pile. It was the size of the dirt/rock supply drop they pile along side of highways/road construction. Of course it took that mini-mountain forever to melt.

Lol no! Believe it or not I used the BH in Dfw a few times. Even installed the marinco plug so it looks good
Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
For a moment I will pretend to agree with you though our neighbor lost his house (and cats) to an oil furnace white ghost (whatever that is)

Back in the good old days (50's) when coal stokers were being replaced with primitive oil burners, sometimes one would malfunction and fill up the way oversized combustion chamber with oil mist. If it then ignited it blew off the door and smoke stack, maybe split the heat exchanger, and usually went on to burn the house down.

If you happened to be looking in when it happened, it looks like a ghost growing out of the burner. If the ghost lit, you'd lose your mind. (literally)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. That must have been it. He said his furnace was really old.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Finally got neighbors computer running.
Something I like about computers is it seems like if a person can usually fix one if they just keep flailing away and trying different stuff.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
are the only one that noticed,
I just assumed it was battery acid.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
His music died before that!
Used to watch the Lawrence Welk show with my Grandma. She used fresh cookies as bait. It was worth it.

Evening all, Slow day.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

our insurance company (USAA) actually prefers N Gas over fuel oil for some reason.
`
When we switched our homeowners over to USAA, they questioned us about our boiler.. if it had been oil fired, they would not have insured us. Not sure why, but they have no problem with our 30 yr old gas boiler, even knowing I ran the gas lines and such myself, and they have never been "inspected"...go figure...

Well, my KC Chiefs managed to blow a 28 point lead and lost.. guess after being 2-14 last year, I should be happy they even made the wild card slot.

blowing snow here, nothing like what TG and the rest of them up north are getting, but the wind is steady at 25mph, gusting to 40, windchill at -11, expected to drop to minus 30 by tomorrow night.
This aint the arctic!, we aint used to this here... horses arent gonna be happy thats for sure, but they have plenty of hay, and a good wind break so they should be OK as long as the water tank heater holds out.
guess I'll find out A) if the truck will start, and B) if my new water line will freeze..glad I got that block heater installed today..

Stan, I noticed the coffee wasnt quite as bitter, must have been the peppers..

Yall stay warm, Im gonna go cuddle with THE BOSS and steal some warmth..
Chris
Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Well all y'all, it is about midnight eastern time. That says to me that it is about time to put the New Years breakroom out of its 8 pages of misery. To be fair, that is a good dose of misery since it got so hard to load this site (Top - I didn't get into it with you last week but everything on my iPad is up to date and the only way I can get the site to load reliably is by buying an iOS browser that blocks ads - this site is the ONLY reason I had to buy a new browser). It is good to see that Mexstan is looking after the dragon. I made sure he got fed for the last 2 years BUT if you check, I was about the only one who did. I just had a thought, Chaikwa - adopt the dragon and your oil burner problems will be long gone. You don't mind if your shop smells of a bit of brimstone do you?

Ok, so, the stove has a new load of hardwood, there is 'Kicking Horse' coffee (it is local to here - Google it - good stuff) in the percolator on the stove and a new batch of pH00 on the thing beside the stove.

There is also a batch of Toad in the Hole all ready to go in the fridge.

Be warm and play safe everyone.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:02 PM

For the Night Watchman's benefit, I should mention that it is snowing again with good drifting, we have a strong breeze AND it is -15F (just for laughs and giggles).
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
For the Night Watchman's benefit, I should mention that it is snowing again with good drifting, we have a strong breeze AND it is -15F (just for laughs and giggles).
Gee aint you a bundle of cheer...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
USAA.. if it had been oil fired, they would not have insured us.
Yeah it was weird. They both seem to be equally safe if maintained properly and like Scott said (sort of), the NGas does seem to have a better chance of going boom in a big way while the oil would normally just start a fire.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Here its 31°f, freezing rain and my neighbor says the main road is closed because of idiots.

70 miles inland from me its 0°f.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin

Back in the good old days (50's) when coal stokers were being replaced with primitive oil burners, sometimes one would malfunction and fill up the way oversized combustion chamber with oil mist. If it then ignited it blew off the door and smoke stack, maybe split the heat exchanger, and usually went on to burn the house down.

If you happened to be looking in when it happened, it looks like a ghost growing out of the burner. If the ghost lit, you'd lose your mind. (literally)

We call that a widow maker. Heating oil, (#2 died Deisel) atomized and heated to the point of near combustion. Been in many a basements that were filled with the mist. We back out, knock power off to the building then vent.

Yeah it was weird. They both seem to be equally safe if maintained properly and like Scott said (sort of), the NGas does seem to have a better chance of going boom in a big way while the oil would normally just start a fire.

Here its 31°f, freezing rain and my neighbor says the main road is closed because of idiots.

70 miles inland from me its 0°f.
I agree both are safe, oil is safer now a days with regards regards to an explosion hazard. Gas is more efficient.