Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stan habenaeros in the coffee that's to much.

Cold snow and did I mention cold.

Hope everybody had a good one and think Jeffersonian thoughts
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning yall. Happy belated New Years. This week feels weird. Wednesday felt like Saturday. Today does not feel like Friday. Not sure what it feels like.

Dogs poop N/S? I'm gonna check that out.

TG, that's a lot of snow. Makes my toes cold just looking at it.

Chaikwa, sorry about your flow problem.

Hope everybody has a good day.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Basking in the warmth, ah!
Up here, the sled dogs nose into the wind. It prevents blow backs.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Oneth, twoth and threeth? Because it sounds stupid, that's why!

That makes a lot of sense. But my air band is already turned all the way down so hardly any slot is showing. Put a damper in the chimney? It has one of those floppy things in it already that is tee'd into the chimney pipe but that doesn't restrict exhaust flow, does it?
The floppy thing is called a draft damper. If it isn't standing completely horizontal unless there's a full gale outside, it's working normally. It serves to keep the draft pressure near a set point.

Oil tech was out and put another nozzle in it, next size bigger; .50 to .65. It might last another few hours longer than the .50, but it ain't going to solve the problem I don't think. Oil burner service is becoming a lost trade.
It's been awhile, but I don't remember any oil burner that shut off the ignition during the run cycle. Gas burners often do. Maybe you have a bustard set of mostly wrong controls. Another thought is that I've met very few "oil burner techs" that actually knew how to set up an oil burner, especially the ignition points. The ends (gap) are actually behind the mist cone of the nozzle, and rely on the air flow to bow the arc into the fuel. If they are too far forward, they crud up. (It's called flame impingement.)

I think I asked before, but is the mist spray stopping, or is the flame going out and the mist continues?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
chaikwa, put a row of baseboards under those windows and you'll have clear windows and be able to enjoy the scenery in your PJ's, or less.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If something bad happens with gas, you're probably going to die or at the very least, lose the house.
For a moment I will pretend to agree with you though our neighbor lost his house (and cats) to an oil furnace white ghost (whatever that is).
After having to cook with wood and electric I will never give up our gas range even if it kills me while I sleep.
Plus, for whatever reason, our insurance company (USAA) actually prefers N Gas over fuel oil for some reason.
Course it could be because our old furnace was 30 years old.

One thing we can probably both agree on is I hope the people who live in the current storm area don't lose their heat.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Next time your dog poops, take note of the direction and report back.
Like Bob, I don't have a dog right now but to help out, I will take video of my neighbors dog doing it and post it.

Originally Posted by Shorts
Chaikwa, sorry about your flow problem.
Yeah, you kind of expect the really old guys like BobStanLaryMartin to be the ones with flow problems.
Might be from a lack of maintenance and abuse.
`
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Bark
A One, A Two, A Cha Cha Cha.....
You don't hear much new stuff from Lawrence Welk lately.
didn't he die like 100 years ago???

and aparently dogs are supposed to poo n/s.
and I think its got to do with which way the dog is facing. I think my dog always preferred to face downhill.... no matter how steep the hill.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:45 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yikes. I looked it up. He did die over 20 years ago. PBS keeps playing his show and the music sounds as good as ever.

Really makes you wonder. If dogs had thumbs would they use toilet paper?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Yikes. I looked it up. He did die over 20 years ago. PBS keeps playing his show and the music sounds as good as ever.

Really makes you wonder. If dogs had thumbs would they use toilet paper?
yeah... now I'm not sure which one of us sounds older. you for watching his show or me for knowing he died about 100 years ago...
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good evening all y'all,
All I can say on a family rated site is gosh, golly, gee-willikers the snow can stop any time soon. DW and I have live in this house for 12 years and the snow is far and away more than we have ever had and it just KEEPS SNOWING!!!! December 2013 was the coldest and snowiest in over 110 years. The amount of snow we have is starting to be a real problem and we haven't even made it to the snowy part of winter yet. We usually get 90% of our snow in March and April. Honestly, I can't manage much more snow before thing start to get really ugly. There isn't supposed to be 10ft of snow pack around my house - that is the kind of thing we deal with in the mountains. If I knew this weather was going to be the norm for the coming years, I would buy a snow machine.

I hope everyone had a fun Friday. Mine wasn't the best ever. There is an epidemic of flu in Alberta. I got my annual flu shot but it isn't a total preventative measure. In many cases the vaccine makes the flu into 24 or 48 hours of discomfort instead of a week of total misery. I got my first symptoms late yesterday afternoon. The fever hit at 3am last night and my shakes were so bad I woke up DW and the dog. Luckily the fever broke 2 hours later and I have just been a little off today. This H1N1 flu is killing people and my asthma and history of pneumonia make me a high risk patient. I may have had a rough 24 hours but I am glad I got the vaccine. It has just been inconvenient, not dangerous.
Have an awesome Saturday everyone and for those of you getting smacked by Mother Nature in the US NE, be careful and be safe.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM

Hey Chaikwa, what do you think a couple 288Xp's, running condition, would be worth?

I was at the hardware yesterday to check on the chain I was having sharpened, and picked up a couple of the new autotune XP models. They are lighter than the 455! And way lighter than the 288's. I'm thinking I may trade up sometime this summer.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 AM

Evening NE frmhnd:
Snow slid off the roof and woke me up. I have a love/hate relationship with my metal roofing.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
I got my annual flu shot but it isn't a total preventative measure.
Be careful. Just because you are feeling better doesn't mean you are well (look at a lot of our DTR members).
Here we have only had two "reported" flu deaths this year so far. We have had some others that are questionable.
From what I have heard neither one of them had the shot but that info wont be released for another month. This could be a bad year.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Morning all -- breakroom doesn't look to bad this morning, so put on coffee and ph00 and goodies on the counter - -dragon is still asleep. Finally got neighbors computer running. One driver missing for the network - - you would think it would have been on the software from Dell. This is a good unit and only 2 years old so what they supplied should have done it - - NOPE. Finally, in a very obscure hidden spot on Dell website I found the driver I needed, downloaded to my desktop, onto flash, took it over and bingo - - on the web. Went back and forth between support from Verizon, Dell, Microsoft, Actiontec - - no one would accept responsibility for having the required drivers - - all pointing fingers at each other. DUH. Oh well, she called last night elated she could get back on the web and catch up - - now how long before she clicks on something stupid and it is all hung up again????

Like Bob, I don't have a dog right now but to help out, I will take video of my neighbors dog doing it and post it. Oh goody - - I will be holding my breath awaiting that video

Yeah, you kind of expect the really old guys like BobStanLaryMartin to be the ones with flow problems. Might be from a lack of maintenance and abuse. Pot calling out the kettle???
Evening NE frmhnd:
Snow slid off the roof and woke me up. I have a love/hate relationship with my metal roofing. BE thankful for that metal roof - - with that much snow up there you would be trying to get that snow OFF the roof before it comes THROUGH the roof.
Ph00 is down, grabbing mine and out of here. ...............
Bob
Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by railroaderone
Stan habenaeros in the coffee that's to much.

Just thought I would spice things up a bit around here 'cuz it has been so dull lately. You are the only one that noticed, so guess that proves that everybody else is ......... weeelll, let's just leave it at that.

Yesterday was a gorgeous, almost totally cloudless day. Today so far is totally cloudless. The sun is just about to show it's face. In about an hour will be loading up the truck with pick, shovel, wheelbarrow, chainsaw etc and heading out to do some work on my out of town property. Wife, step-son and his fiancee are coming with. It is going o be a great day!

Hope all of you, even those enduring that storm, have a good day too.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin
It's been awhile, but I don't remember any oil burner that shut off the ignition during the run cycle.
This is designed that way. It's a brand new Beckett and after 15 seconds of ignition run time, and the flame is established, it shuts the transformer off.

Another thought is that I've met very few "oil burner techs" that actually knew how to set up an oil burner, especially the ignition points. The ends (gap) are actually behind the mist cone of the nozzle, and rely on the air flow to bow the arc into the fuel. If they are too far forward, they crud up. (It's called flame impingement.)
I DID know that, and they are behind the nozzle and the gap is correct according to Beckett spec's.

I think I asked before, but is the mist spray stopping, or is the flame going out and the mist continues?
The mist is stopping and as soon as it does, the cad cell eye picks that up and shuts it down almost instantly. If it would let it go 2 seconds it would probably get by the lack of a flame and it would straighten itself out and run fine. It hasn't done it with the new, larger nozzle. So whatever won't fit thru a .50 nozzle, WILL fit thru a .65 I guess. I also guess that the filter won't filter out something small enough to plug a .50.

For a moment I will pretend to agree with you though our neighbor lost his house (and cats) to an oil furnace white ghost (whatever that is).
I don't know, never heard that term.
... our insurance company (USAA) actually prefers N Gas over fuel oil for some reason.
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
didn't he die like 100 years ago???
At LEAST that long ago! His music died before that!

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Hey Chaikwa, what do you think a couple 288Xp's, running condition, would be worth?
I'd think $300 each if they're in decent condition.

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I was at the hardware yesterday to check on the chain I was having sharpened, and picked up a couple of the new autotune XP models.
You don't sharpen your own chains? Good luck with the Auto-tune's. I hear good things about them until they break, then no one seems to know how to fix them. Thankfully, Husky's seldom break!

It is Saturday, January 4th.

1821 - The first native-born American saint, Elizabeth Ann Seton, died in Emmitsburg, MD.

1896 - Utah became the 45th U.S. state.

1935 - Bob Hope was heard for the first time on network radio as part of "The Intimate Revue."

1944 - The attack on Monte Cassino was launched by the British Fifth Army in Italy.

1951 - During the Korean conflict, North Korean and Communist Chinese forces captured the city of Seoul.

1958 - The Soviet satellite Sputknik I fell to the earth from its orbit. The craft had been launched on October 4, 1957.

1962 - New York City introduced a train that operated without conductors and motormen.

1965 - The Fender Guitar Company was sold to CBS for $13 million.

1965 - In his State of the Union address, U.S. President Johnson proclaimed the building of the "Great Society."

1974 - U.S. President Nixon refused to hand over tape recordings and documents subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.

1987 - An Amtrak train bound from Washington to Boston collided with Conrail engines approaching from a side track, 16 people were killed.

1990 - Charles Stuart jumped to his death from a Boston Harbor bridge. He had become a suspect in the murder of his wife. He had claimed that a gunman had shot him and his wife.

1999 - Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura was sworn in as Minnesota's 37th governor.

2001 - FBI agents in the Dallas area charged the "Texas 7" of unlawful flight to avoid federal prosecution for capital murder, broadening the manhunt nationwide.

2006 - Nancy Pelosi became Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. She was the first woman to hold the position.

2010 - In Dubai, United Arab Emirates, the Burj Dubai (Dubai Tower) opened as the world's tallest tower at 2,625 feet.

Today's thought:
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Coffee's good. Ph00 is ph00.

TOB&F today!

Quick Reply: New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4