Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Toy... Electric Meat Smoker

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Toy... Electric Meat Smoker

Ok, first things first. I know it’s lame but I am lazy and I like to buy things that do the work for me with little effort on my part.

Just picked this up the other day and it is great. Just plug it in, set the time and temp on top, fill up the water tray, and load the wood chips in the side, and your good to go. You can set it for whatever temp that you want and it will keep it there. You don’t have to open the front door to add chips; you just load them in the side. It is nice not having to baby-sit a fire all day long (even though that is some of the fun with smoking).

Oh, I figured I would through in a pic of my daughter helping….

ToolazytocookBritt

Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I have a toy like that, not as fancy as yours. I smoke alot of fish. The rule is every man for himself. It does not last long.I have smoked cheese before to. Very good but hard on the waist line.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Nice smoker, Britt !! I bet the little one helps eat it too, huh ?

I like the fact that you don't have to open the door to add chips ... keep that heat in.

I picked up a wood fired smoker at a yard sale last summer but still haven't used it. Sure will be fun practicing on some fresh venison.

PISTOL
Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Very nice. Looks like something every guy should own. Do you know if you can smoke Vinison? My boss gave me 25 fresh pounds of it today. I might need some help eating all of this.

I see a bag of Jack Daniels there, is that some flavored wood or something?

If you don't mind me asking, what does a piece like that cost.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Brett,

Nice smoker

I see a problem in one your photo's that you will be needing to address before long.

No 12ft electric fence with razor wire......Before you know it those boys will be coming around to talk with that pretty girl........perhaps a moat would not be a bad idea as well
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already burned out on Halo 3?

I noticed the lack of backyard fencing as well.

Used to be homes came with fenced yards from the get go.

phox
Old 10-01-2007, 03:32 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Britt won't need no fence or moat, no walls with gussets for the good ole boiling oil treatment etc. He's got a smoker, a BBQ, and now he'll get a load of recipes for good stuff. Maybe we should also resurrect the cookie recipe thread and when he's tested all that with the little one she'll be a heartwarming teenager the size and weight of a chevy suburban and you don't need to worry about the boys calling
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

I still just need to send him some ....well, horse "parts", so when the boys start coming around he can pull them out and be putting them in the smoker.........

that'll make 'em behave.........
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Brine-
Soysauce base.
3-4 cups of real-lemon juice
cut up tomatoes, onions, any other veggies you like.
real maple syrup when I have it, otherwise brown sugar and molasses.
a little worcestershire sauce.
around 3 cups of salt, I don't like it real salty. If you're working with the meat in warm weather, use the salt for treating raw meat, can't think of the name on 2 1/2 hours sleep right now.

small pieces of meat, soak 12-18 hours. Large fish or meat, 24 hours.

for another flavor, reduce the sweeteners and add terryake and hot peppers.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Britt, keep us posted on how it works, I been eyeing a smoker real hard, but its not electric. Yours looks real nice and clean.

Thanks, Tim
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Clayten
I have a toy like that, not as fancy as yours. I smoke alot of fish. The rule is every man for himself. It does not last long.I have smoked cheese before to. Very good but hard on the waist line.
I would love to have a recipe for fish. I figure that you have to soak fish in a brine solution before you put it on a smoker? Is that right?

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
I like the fact that you don't have to open the door to add chips ... keep that heat in.

PISTOL
That is one of the main reasons that I went with this smoker (and because I’m lazy),

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Do you know if you can smoke VinisonI see a bag of Jack Daniels there, is that some flavored wood or something?

If you don't mind me asking, what does a piece like that cost.
Yes you can smoke pretty much any kind of meat that you like. I have some deer meat in the freezer that I need to smoke soon. I think the key is to smoke it for a long time at a low temp. to break the meat down so it is tender. The wood chips are Jack Daniels pellets that I got at Wal-Mart and they do a pretty good job of smoking. As far as the price; it was $200 at Sports Academy but they have the exact same smoker at Cabellas but I think it is a little more expensive (Cabellas usually is).

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

I see a problem in one your photo's that you will be needing to address before long.

No 12ft electric fence with razor wire......Before you know it those boys will be coming around to talk with that pretty girl........perhaps a moat would not be a bad idea as well
Unfortunately our home owners association won’t allow a moat to be built around our property. I figure when that time comes around we will move to a “Ruby Ridge” type of compound

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Already burned out on Halo 3?

phox
Oh no… notice that I am just now getting around to posting a reply? I have finally worked out a pretty good strategy and I am finally owning with a battle rifle. I am actually a surgeon with that weapon.

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Britt, keep us posted on how it works, I been eyeing a smoker real hard, but its not electric. Yours looks real nice and clean.

Thanks, Tim
Will do Tim. So far it has worked very well. As with anything, it will take a little time to work out the idiosyncrasies but so far so good.

Britt

Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by t-15 firefighter
I would love to have a recipe for fish. I figure that you have to soak fish in a brine solution before you put it on a smoker? Is that right?
I've used this method before with excellent results.

Step 1

Brine your fish with this basic brine solution:

* 1/2 cup Morton's Sugar Cure
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 quart water

Stir until completely dissolved
Place fish in the solution, being careful to insure that the fish is completely covered with the brine and place in the refrigerator.
Thick chunks of 1" or more should be in brine 8 to 12 hours.
Thin chunks of less than 1" 6 to 8 hours is sufficient.

Step 2

Remove fish from brine and rinse each piece under cold water.
Gently pat dry and lay pieces on paper towel to air dry for one hour.
(After one hour you will notice the fish has a glazed film on it. This is called the Pellicle which is a normal and desired result of the brining process). When the fish is sticky to the touch it is ready.

Step 3

Smoke fish for about 2 hours at 200 F.
Use your favorite wood chips or chunks when smoking and experiment to find the taste that best suits your taste. Hickory, Alder, Apple and Cherry or combinations of these work well.
Add wood chips about every 30 minutes if necessary (depending on how much smoke taste you want.

To cut down on smoking time, remove skin from fish before putting in brine, then place fish in cheese cloth after the brine process (this helps get rid of fish oils faster and cuts your smoking time by about 1/4).

Alder wood gives you a sweet smoke that is very good for fish. You might be able to get some chunks or saw dust from a custom cabinet shop in your area.