Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

new "real men of genius" commercial

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Texas is the greatest state in the country. We are the only state that can fly the Texas flag at the same level as the United States Flag; i do so proudly at my house...with the Aggie flag flying just below the Texas flag.

A good formula to help describe Texas patriotism from a friend on another Forum:
"U.S. Patriotism + Southern/Confederacy Patriotism + Religious zealotry) x 10 = Texas Patriotism."

"I believe in one God, and Jesus sits at his right hand. That does not preclude Sam Houston from sitting at the left."

The state song is "Texas, Our Texas" by William J. Marsh and Gladys Yoakum Wright. The lyrics are:

Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State!
Texas, our Texas! So wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test;
O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

[Refrain]

God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, Thro'out the ages long.

Texas, O Texas! Your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far.
Emblem of freedom! It sets our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.

[Refrain]

Texas, dear Texas! From tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes! We come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

[Refrain] "

From http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/statesong.html
Old 06-17-2006, 09:37 PM
rdc
Banned

Originally Posted by matthopp
Texas is the greatest state in the country.
Your Opinion
Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't share that opinion and it really bothers you that we feel that way, then don't come here. I promise, it won't hurt our feelings at all.

Rusty
Old 06-18-2006, 11:07 AM

I Just remembered the old advertising slogan:

"TEXAS....... it's a State of Mind"

As far as bigger..... Name any state in which you can start a driving trip at its east border at daybreak.......And finish at its western border AFTER sundown, (following the sun track, mind you)!!!!!!!

Bob Wills got it right in his song: "I've seen miles and miles of Texas"

Texas has bio-diversity from the Gulf Shore, to the Pecos and Davis Mountains, the Chihuahuan Desert to the verdant Big Thicket and Piney Woods of East Texas.

We host some of the best hunting lands for whtetail deer, (South Texas comes to mind), turkey (East Texas) to some of the best impoundments of water for freshwater fishing in the US., not to mention the over 700 miles of coastal shoreline for saltwater fishing...

With all of this being said, maybe everyone not from here will understand....

Texas.......It's a State of Mind!!!!!! YOU BETCHA!!!!

Gary
Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by rdc
good luck finding any foilage that is not a shade of brown.
i cannot believe you actually believe that.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by derek840378
i cannot believe you actually believe that.
Spoken by someone that has obvously never been to east Texas!

"Now I love the USA and the other states,
Ahh, the're ok.
Texas is the place I wanna be,
And I don't care i I ever go to Deleware anyway."
Ray Wylie Hubbard, A song about people from Texas
Old 06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Ok here you go. Not as much as texas but what the heck. We do have one thing over texas. We have more plants and animals named after our state than you do.

state flower — Berberis aquifolium , Other wise known as theOregon Grape.
state motto — "The Union", which was replaced by "She Flies With Her Own Wings".
state nickname — Beaver State.
state tree — Pseudotsuga menziesii , otherwise known as the Douglas-fir.
state bird — Sturnella neglecta , TheWestern Meadowlark
official state song — Oregon, My Oregon

state mammals — Umm, we don't have those. Same thing as the state animal??

Which is........

state animal Castor canadensis , The American Beaver

state dinosaur — Don't got one of those. Except with what is going on down SE of here, we just might have one here soon.
state dish — I can not remember her name for the life of me.
state fiber and fabric — Nothing like that here.
state fish — Oncorhynchus tshawytscha , The Chinook Salmon
state folk dance — Nothing like that here.
state fruit — This one is lame, just adopted a year or so ago. The "pear".

state gem — The Oregon Sunstone
state gemstone cut — I do not have a cut for you but how about chemical composition, Mohs hardness, Refractive Index, Cleaveage, and Specific Gravity sound too you?
state grass — Done in by Round Up??
state insect — Papilio oregonius, Oregon Swallowtail
state molecule--- Nope, ain't got one of those either.
musical instrument — One of those U shaped pieces of wire with a couple of rubber bands and a washer.

state peppers — See state dish.

state plant — Some consider it really good.
state reptile — A tad bit wet around here for those but maybe the rattle snake?
state shell — Fusitriton oregonensis , Commonly called the Oregon hairy triton.
state ship — We do not have one but I may suggest the USS OREGON battleship here soon.
state shrub — Same as the state flower I guess as we do not have a state shrub.
state native shrub — See the above statement.
state slogan — Alis volat propriis (She flies with her own wings)
state snack — 7-11
state sport — Running around in circles chasing our tails.

state stone — The Thunder-egg. And we call them rocks around here,
state tartan — Has not been adopted yet. Thank god.

state tree — Pinaceae Pseudotsuga menziesii, TheDouglas-fir.
state vegetable — Nothing here.

state Beverage — Milk.Which should have been Micro brew as the micro
brew fad took off here!!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 PM
rdc
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyJC
If you don't share that opinion and it really bothers you that we feel that way, then don't come here. I promise, it won't hurt our feelings at all.

Rusty
SO, If I don't think Texas is the greatest place on earth I should leave? Is the TexasDTR or just DTR ?? now I'm confused.

I just asked a simple question about why Texas was so great and all of the sudden " My ignorance or Texas was suprising" I was not being malicious at all. I was just asking a queston and then my intelligence was in question because I did not memorize every fact about a state halfway acrossed the country from me.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by rdc
SO, If I don't think Texas is the greatest place on earth I should leave? Is the TexasDTR or just DTR ?? now I'm confused.

I just asked a simple question about why Texas was so great and all of the sudden " My ignorance or Texas was suprising" I was not being malicious at all. I was just asking a queston and then my intelligence was in question because I did not memorize every fact about a state halfway acrossed the country from me.
im sure by "here" he meant this thread. to a texan, questioning Texas is "malicious". We are very proud and as you said eariler, yes we do have an ego. also i dont go around spouting off ignorant ideas about other states. Phloop came on here and posted info on Oregon. i could have easily said something so outrageous, it would tick him off. we're not asking you to know every fact about texas, just dont come on here and make stuff up. you know its a shame. i started this thread to share a funny commercial i heard on the radio and some people post to seemingly get people all riled-up.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derek840378
im sure by "here" he meant this thread. to a texan, questioning Texas is "malicious". We are very proud and as you said eariler, yes we do have an ego. also i dont go around spouting off ignorant ideas about other states. Phloop came on here and posted info on Oregon. i could have easily said something so outrageous, it would tick him off. we're not asking you to know every fact about texas, just dont come on here and make stuff up. you know its a shame. i started this thread to share a funny commercial i heard on the radio and some people post to seemingly get people all riled-up.
I also agree. I am very proud of my state. I will not (except for the local's V out-of-towner's problem we have here) dog some one from another state in a mean way. Might poke fun but we all live in a state. Well, most of us do. I do believe that there are some out of nation posters here also, and I am sure they are scratching their noggin's over this.

Oh, and buy the way Derek. I really do not think you could have posted something to really tick me off. Remember, it not only rains here it is moist. By the time any words you might have said could have caused a flame the mold would have damped it out.

And for everyone else....
It is all good.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdc
SO, If I don't think Texas is the greatest place on earth I should leave?
Read my post again. It's very clear. If you don't like Texas, don't come to Texas. That's all it said - nothing more; nothing less.

Rusty
Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 AM

When americans in other countries are asked where they are from most say america or the United States. Texans say Texas I've been to almost every state in the south and none are ANYTHING like Texas. Some have similarities, but not all of the things Texas has. We have more state pride than others, thats just the way it is. People from other states just don't get it, and we don't care because we know we're the best even if you don't.

I think my state is great, that's why I will never live anywhere else.

The only part of texas that is brown and has no seasons is west Texas. 3/4 is green and has rivers and or lakes or the gulf. Attitude differs from East Texas to West Texas too.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
When americans in other countries are asked where they are from most say america or the United States. Texans say Texas
I now live in OK, I like Tulsa a lot. I have built my business here, and my wife is from here. My parents and inlaws (that I get along great with) are here.

But I am a TexanI always will be. Hopefully I will retire in the Hill Country, but no matter how long I live away from home I will Always be a Texan, not an Okie, not an American, I am from Texas.

I spent a month in Scotland when I lived in Louisiana, and whenever I got asked where I was from I said Texas, I will always say I am from Texas. I just live here in Oklahoma. It aint home.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:36 AM

this is more than just an anti-littering campaign
Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
rdc
Banned

[QUOTE=derek840378] to a texan, questioning texas is "malicious"

So, your not even allowed to ask why texas is so great. I was just POLITELY asking a question ( re read my posts ) until my intelligence was insulted. ALso, if you think east texas has fall foilege , "obviously"you have never been to the N.E.

I think I now see why everyone not from texas just rolls their eyes when someone from texas starts their " texas is the greatest" speeches. And whatever you do DO NOT ASK THEM WHY TEXAS IS SO GREAT ( see above) Just nod politely ....

Quick Reply: new "real men of genius" commercial