Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New pound-puppy

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New pound-puppy

My wife and I just adopted a dog from the local shelter on Friday. We went there looking for a pitbull or American bull plus a small dog to keep the big one from going crazy. Luckily the volunteer who helped us saw right through me and insisted that I take this yellow lab for a walk. I have never been in the company of a dog that was so sweet, smart and eager to please. In fact I've never had a dog that could be trusted off a leash. This guy is just a blessing. I have been sick for about 5 months (solvent poisoning) and needed a dog to be a companion and watch over my wife. I am a believer in the theory that a loving pet can aid in healing. This guy has already made me feel like I can at least smile a lot more. Any Lab stories or tips are welcome.

Please, meet my new dog MOOSE!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
He looks like a great dog. Thanks for adopting him.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Moose is a cool name! I need to buy my daughter a dog, shes been asking for awhile now. Your dog looks really cool, bet it loves your bed instead of the kennel. If you loose your lab look for the nearest pond or lake, he will be there
Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Labs are great dogs. Here are some pics of our pup:

Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 PM

the pic in the snow is priceless!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hard to find a more loyal or terrific family pet than a Lab. I have owned everything from Pit bulls, to short hairs, Pincher's to Shepherds, hounds to spaniels and the labs have been the best dogs I have owned hands down.

Smart, easily trained and big enough to knock a man down if they need to. My present lab is 14 years old and after a couple strokes, still bounces like a puppy when he feels like it.

I remember a few years ago wondering if he would be aggressive enough if the situation arose when by accident he showed us his true colors. My yardman, 6'3" 300 lbs who knows this dog well surprised us by walking up to the screen door and making a loud grunting noise.

I don't know why none of us heard him back his truck up the driveway, but my dog was asleep at my feet under the table when this guy appeared out of no where.

He jumped up and took the screen door off it's hinges and pinned this bear of a man to the ground before I could react. I quickly called him off and luckily the guy was not injured badly, but had he had bad intentions I believe he would have been in serious trouble.

He is getting pretty old and Grey but I wouldn't advise getting between him and the grandkids anytime soon. He loves them as much as they do him and nobody is messing with his favorite treat suppliers

Congrats on the new pup ...Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 PM

I hope you enjoy your dog. Pretty soon you will find that you have a new shadow that will not leave you alone...

See link... Pic of my 100lb chocolate lab - Hershey - that I acquired in the spring from someone that couldn't adequately take care of him.
http://home.fuse.net/tgiesse/dog/P1010164.JPG
Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Chapter President

Labs are awesome!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I can afford to have a pet again (vet bills) it will be a Lab. Also, good on you for adopting.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Does anybody know of a good (free) dog-training website? I'd like to take advantage of this dog's high IQ. I want to train him to stay on my (unfenced) 2 acre property. I am also interested in training him to "heel" off-leash. Etc.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto the lab sentiments!

I would never have considered a lab before....We got 2 dogs from a breeder. 1) Full beagle which means, ALL NOSE! 2) Beagle - lab mix. From the same litter! We just explain that as 'mom got around ".

Anyway...the lab is always eager to please, listens and is a good all around dog! FYI...With the beagle blood line, she is about the size of an 8 month lab pup.

Tony
Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ouchman
Does anybody know of a good (free) dog-training website? I'd like to take advantage of this dog's high IQ. I want to train him to stay on my (unfenced) 2 acre property. I am also interested in training him to "heel" off-leash. Etc.
I have not been there but my wife has and she like the info she received:
http://www.dogforums.com/

We just got a German Shorthair Pointer pup and I got the Gun Dog DVD from Sportsmans Warehouse to train her to hunt. It has a lot of good info on it even if you don't use Moose for hunting. The biggest thing with any pet is to spend a lot of time with them and use lots of praise when they do something right.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
DTR question asker

What a pretty dog! I also applaud you on adopting from the shelter, that sure is a great thing to do!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:48 PM

The best dog ever created was a Chocolate Lab named Chelsea.

Second best was a Black Lab named Chi Chi.

Third best a Pincher named Dolly.

We have a mostly Lab mix named Benny and he is about as dumb as a bag of rocks. Sweet as he can be however!

Good on ya for adopting!