Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

new oil reserves

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is virtually no chance that diesel will get cheaper. Doesn't matter where the stuff is found, greed sells it.

America could have all the oil in the world and you're still going pay through the nose for it at the pump.

'Course some think the gov't should get involved and regulate it, what a mess that would be.

It's a short list of things the gov't does well and regulating things like oil won't be one of them.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
For just the US, I would believe that. For supplying the open market? Not even close to a hundred years........

Just out of giggles, did anyone see where the Governor of Wyoming threw his political support to a certain candidate because he assured him that if elected, he would prevent drilling in Wyoming?

What the heck is in the water out there?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM

There's certain group of people that seem to think this petroleum burning country needs to go belly up. And those people are running for office to get it done.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I've heard we have enough reserves in Anwar to last 15 years of current US consumption...

Anyway the high price of oil is related more to the weakness of the US dollar than demand IMO.
All the talk about how we're running out of oil is just people who want the price to keep rising.
I personally think high energy costs are in theory a good thing but I think they're getting obsurd at this point.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes do look up Anwar. The US geological survey says there is a 95% probability that Anwar reserves are 4.3 Billion barrels and our current consumption is 21 million barrels daily. Do the math, thats equal to 204 days of total consumption. But maybe the USGS is just a bunch of tree huggers too.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Gaaaa. Don’t get me started on ANWAR. Been fighting the tree huggers on it for years (and I am a partial tree hugger). People who have never been out there telling us that we are going to destroy the pristine wilderness. Having driven the Dalton Hwy (near the west side of ANWAR) more times than I can remember and having flown over parts of it, a drilling rig would take up about the same area as a basketball in Seattle.

bkrukow: Don’t believe a refinery close to you will result in lower prices for you. The Tesoro station that gets its fuel delivered from the Nikiski refinery which is two miles from it is 30 cents a gallon more than in Anchorage (120 miles away). All of our stations in Kenai are more than stations in Anch, Palmer etc. Its not Anchorage's fault. The reason why?, its because they can.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a BP Refinery in Joliet IL, about 3 hrs from us and BP is right in the middle of the pack when it comes to prices.

ANWAR, N. and S. Dakota's, Texas, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Gulf of Mexico, California, Lake Michigan. We have enough places to drill, now it is time to start building refineries! I think Kansas, Nebraska, and some other "poor" states could use some bussiness.

Ethanol indeed is driving up costs. Flour is now double of what it was 2 months ago. The countries that had a wheat famine bought our future wheat for the next 3 years. Now all the farmers went to corn and left us with VERY little wheat. High prices are hurting us very bad.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 PM

I don't understand why this country is so slow to go to diesel, or bio(instead of the ethanol). Provides at least 30% better fuel economy (especially in cars). Hell look at jetta TDI they get 50% better then the 1.8T in the same car. If we all switched to diesel I bet we could reduce our consumption of fuel by 30% if we all switched to diesel. That means we would only be using 70% of the crude we are using today, top the with some 20% bio and our down to 50% consumption making the oil reserves we do have last twice as long and getting rid of ethanol in with one stone.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselJon
We have enough places to drill, now it is time to start building refineries! I think Kansas, Nebraska, and some other "poor" states could use some bussiness.
I absolutely agree! However, the coastal communities don't want the refinery nor the drilling rig. A refinery on the coast would be close for the tankers to off load the crude. Otherwise, we'd probably have a refinery out in the middle of the AZ desert connected via pipeline to either the Mexican coast (rocky point) or the left coast of Ca.

Then again, Ca burns as much fuel as possible, without having many refineries nor drilling rigs; the whole not in my backyard mentality.

I'm just scratching the surface here.

Tony
Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by WVAussie
Yes do look up Anwar. The US geological survey says there is a 95% probability that Anwar reserves are 4.3 Billion barrels and our current consumption is 21 million barrels daily. Do the math, thats equal to 204 days of total consumption. But maybe the USGS is just a bunch of tree huggers too.
You'll never convince them. That would spoil the conspiracy theory.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
I don't understand why this country is so slow to go to diesel, or bio(instead of the ethanol). Provides at least 30% better fuel economy (especially in cars). Hell look at jetta TDI they get 50% better then the 1.8T in the same car. If we all switched to diesel I bet we could reduce our consumption of fuel by 30% if we all switched to diesel. That means we would only be using 70% of the crude we are using today,
Not exactly true. Refining crude isn't an either/or between gas and diesel.
In other words you can't take a barrel of crude and turn it into 100% diesel or 100% gas. It don't work that way.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
You'll never convince them. That would spoil the conspiracy theory.
Well the politics has arrived!!
I could smell it several posts ago.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
New oil reserves are always good news.

But only because they buy us time, not because they prevent the inevitable. Technology that improves oil yield does the same-- gets us more oil, but only delays the inevitable.

The problem as I see it is that no one wants to suffer the minor pain to proactively do something. Everyone seems to want to continue fat dumb and happy until there's a major crisis, then they shake their fingers at the gov't and say "why didn't you do something?"

DUH-- the gov't didn't do something because you the voter complained. You complained when oil companies made enough money to develop the new technologies that may buy us 20-30 more years of useably cheap oil. You wanted that new refinery built-- in that OTHER GUY'S state. You complained about the poor dying birds the wind farm caused, and how you don't what it did to your view. You bought one guzzling SUV after another and used it like a heavyweight Corolla. You complained about having a nuclear plant built anywhere near you. You voted for politicians pushing the ethanol scam and supported farm subsidies to rich agribusinesses like ADM and ConAgra. You started your car and let it idle 20 minutes to be warm for your 5 minute drive to the store.

So, before anyone posts another whiny complaint about fuel prices and how the gov't is supposed to do something, first look in the mirror and realize how that famous quote came to be:

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

LoL: Yeah, cant discuss the subject without it going somewhat political. Sorry if I helped.
A sort of funny side note. Remember that we haven’t built a new refinery in over 35 years: Our Chevron refinery in Nikiski was having some EPA problems so was inactive. Instead of forking out the money to fix things, they finally wound up selling it to overseas interests.
They were happy to get the money, knowing that it would cost a lot to get the thing up to EPA standards and be operational again.
The parties that bought it simply dismantled it, shipped it overseas (I think Indonesia) and cranked it up again producing fuel that is now being sold to China and anybody else willing to pay for it.
Wish I would have thought of it.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Texaschevelle
Edited by Admin
I see this thread getting locked real soon!!
We have an all politics forum if you wanna talk politics.

Quick Reply: new oil reserves