Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

new oil reserves

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
new oil reserves

heard on the radio today- that they found a huge oil reserve in north and south dakota, which also reaches into montana a little bit. conservative estimates put it at 175-500 billion barrels of oil that is reachable!!! let see what the libs say about this.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
jka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a story in our local paper today written from info. obtained from a previous Exxon employee. It stated that the world is headed toward consuming 1000 barrels of oil per second, and that this should happen sometime in 2008. Also it says that an oil shortage is iminate and we should step up our efforts to find other sources of energy or our way of life in the not too distant future will be in jeopardy.

Who the heck do you believe????????
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thing they are trying to build a new oil refinery in Yankton SD. Thats only a little over an hour away from me so hopefully it will mean cheap fuel in the future but not likely.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by rjm022
heard on the radio today- that they found a huge oil reserve in north and south dakota, which also reaches into montana a little bit. conservative estimates put it at 175-500 billion barrels of oil that is reachable!!! let see what the libs say about this.

Originally Posted by jka
There was a story in our local paper today written from info. obtained from a previous Exxon employee. It stated that the world is headed toward consuming 1000 barrels of oil per second, and that this should happen sometime in 2008. Also it says that an oil shortage is iminate and we should step up our efforts to find other sources of energy or our way of life in the not too distant future will be in jeopardy.

Maybe both are right!
There's a massive oil reserve in SD. That's the good news.
The worlds oil consumption is going up at an alarming rate. That's the bad news.
What do we do???
We drill like mad for all of the oil that we can find on US soil and in US waters.
At the same time we look for feasible alternatives. Ethanol is turning out to be an expensive choice. It's driving up the price of everything from fuel, to corn, cornmeal, meat, milk etc...
Sugar cane would be a better source for ethanol than corn.
Some folks have a renewable or nothing approach, that's counter productive. We need to increase exploration, production and refinery capacity while developing other alternatives at the same time.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

We are sitting on oil reserves right now in Alaska alone, that could supply the entire U.S. demand for oil for the next 200 years.

Tim
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
We are sitting on oil reserves right now in Alaska alone, that could supply the entire U.S. demand for oil for the next 200 years.

Tim
We could have wells online right now had we started drilling when proposed 7 yrs ago.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
We could have wells online right now had we started drilling when proposed 7 yrs ago.

Agree completely.

Tim
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Originally Posted by rjm022
They're hitting the bakken like wildfire around NW part of MT. Horizontal drilling is working out real good.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
Good thing they are trying to build a new oil refinery in Yankton SD. Thats only a little over an hour away from me so hopefully it will mean cheap fuel in the future but not likely.
Unfortunately that won't be the case. I drive through Billings, MT with the Conoco refineries and fuel there costs as much as it does other places.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 PM

There's also quite a lot of untapped reserves off the Ca coast. But, so long as their environmental politics are "not in my backyard" those oil deposits will never be touched.

Tony
Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by jka

I choose to believe the price at the pump.
We need a national oil company, not global.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jka

I sure as hell do not believe anything the Toronto Star would tell you.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Tim
Unless you can provide an authoritative source for that, I'm calling BS on it.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Tim
I've read that and been told that also buy friends in the industry.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM

ANWAR look it up

Quick Reply: new oil reserves