Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New member to the family!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:New member to the family!

This is going to be a long one, so go get a coke and come back. Kat and I bought 6 1/2 acres of land and FINALLY one day got a path cleared to the top on the hill where we'll build our house. We kept hearing dods yapping about 50 yards off in the woods. after a few trips up there at night to just chill and look at the stars we decided to go up one afternoon to have a picnic, we heard the same yapping, I made my way thru the brush and found 2 male pits and a female, she was staked out on a 5 foot chain, where they each could get to her. I went back to the jeep and told Kat and she just had to see for her self, with a sandwich in hand. I took the sandwich up to them, expecting to get malled, but the 2 males just sat down and let her eat, all 3 had ribs showing and many cuts. She was very friendly and Kat said "we just can't let them us her for fighting puppies", so my dumb butt undid her collar, the carzy little thing made a bee line to the jeep, jumped thru the window into the back seat, and basically said "let's get the H outta here". We opened the doors and told her to go, but she wouldn't move, only thing to do was get the H outta there. She was a chocolate pit, and BEAUTIFUL, we already had a female rot and was concerned how she would act around her, but when she came HOME, she was very respectful of TERA, they hit it off great. She was no problem to house break (actually easier than Tera), after a few weeks, we realized that we had a momma dog. On the day the pups where born, Kat called me and told me she was going to have them, Tera was going crazy, and BUD (I'll explain name in a few) would not let anyone near her, that I had to come home. Got home and as soon as I walked in the room, she started spitting out puppies, 8 in all. Kat gave names to all 8, and the only way someone could get one was to agree to keep the name and NOT fight them. Angus was her favorite, black, big and stubborn as a bull. Bud got her name because the day we brought her home I was sitting outside drinking a long neck BUD, wondering what the crap I had just done, because a friend of mine came by and saw her and told me this looked like a dog that belonged to a really mean dude he new that raised fighting dogs, after showing him the business end of WILBER (45 cal) he swore he would say anything, Kat let Bud out of the house to do her business, she walked STRAIGHT to the long neck, grabbed it by the neck and CHUGGED my beer, sat down beside me, looked up at me as to kinda say "Thank You, got another, I've had a hard time". Bud had her puppies, Tera was the baby sitter, and the house was a TOTAL wreck, but she was happy. They have both pasted on, but we have videos and pictures for the memories, and we'd do it again in a heart beat to save any animal this loving. ASPCA wouldn't do anything because they said the dogs where used for "hunting' YEH RIGHT. Sorry to all for being long winded
Old 10-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Good stories and pics, saw a mountain dog being walked the other day.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:29 AM

Hi
I have a similar story. After moving into the country I noticed the guy across from me shooting paintballs at a pit bull,trying to run it off. I went over to see what was going on and saw this poor dog with mange, all her ribs showing, and she looked scared not just because of the paint *****. He never made contact with her. I brought her home, fed her and took her to the vet. She had a severe case of heartworm and a fever. The vet said she had recently had puppies. Apparently someone had bred her and dumped her because she was sick.The vet said he would put her down because it would be expensive to get her back to good health. I couldn't do it. Many hundreds of dollars later I have one of the best dogs I have ever had. She is a quick learner, very obedient and sits on the back seat of the truck like a human and never slimes the window. I am glad of the decision I made. She is also good with the cats, goats and chickens. If you listen to the crap in the news you would never believe a pit could be like this.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:10 AM
JKE

My aunt owned a pit for a very long time when I was young. She tolerated me riding her, lying on her etc. etc...all things that kids do. VERY good dog.

It's the ones they abuse and fight that get loose and maul people! >

John
Old 10-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=10;threadid=21420;start=0#msg201080 date=1067039198]
Good looking pups, there Dog. Things are looking up - - that is good.
Bob
[/quote]

Yes they are bob, their hasn't been this much fun and love floating around this house in a long time! Great thing going on here! 8) 8)

And to everyone esle, great rescue stories! We have a thing for American Bull Dog's and try to find the ones that need a good home, up here theres not a lot whitch is a good thing! If I took in every animal my wife wants to save, o' my gosh, don't even want to go there!
Old 10-25-2003, 11:27 AM

[quote author=berner link=board=10;threadid=21420;start=0#msg201039 date=1067033765]
I tried shaking with that Rottie. Also hand feeding. Everyone should try feeding a 120 lb. Rottie out of thier hand when his hair is up and he's growling at least once in thier life. It was a battle for years. Very obedient otherwise. Go figure.
My Bernese doesn't even bark when the doorbell rings.....Here's his act...
[/quote]
since we are talking about dogs here is mine. Thats a beautiful Bernies. How old is he/she?
Old 10-25-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=DF5152 link=board=10;threadid=21420;start=15#msg201286 date=1067099236]
since we are talking about dogs here is mine. Thats a beautiful Bernies. How old is he/she?
[/quote]

Thanks. He'll be 6 in Jan. Very nice looking shepherd you got there as well.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM

I'm still going thru the pictures to find one of Tera & Bud together, but have not found any good ones yet. Tera weighed in at 110 lbs., but Muphasa, our male, weighed in at the vet on his last visit at 165 lbs. He ain't nuttin but a big baby. We have to put him outside on a cable, because the neighbors have complained and called the sheriff both times he broke it, problem was he went and played with the little kids, and would not let the parents near them, the kids LOVE it, but the "grown ups" don't understand. The only time Tera went to bite anyone was when my ex-wife came to my house to force my youngest daughter to come home with her, the crazy dog grabbed Jenifers hair, and if I had not grabbed Tera by the collar, I'd have a dead EX on my hands, Oh well, my bad. . Jenny took Tera's collar and told her "I'm staying at my daddy's until I get ready to come home". Dogs are NOT JUST DOGS, they have a sence about people and what's going on, they know good from bad, and will act accordingly. Kat claims they are as the Indians believe, something to the fact that they could be the souls of our ancestors. Kat is 1/2 Cherokee (spelling), but at times I think full blooded Apache, But the main thing we ALL need to remember, is that these puppies, are all children of our creator. God, I MISS Tera & Bud.
Sorry for the mussy stuff, but when Tera got sick, we went as far as have a chartered jet on stand by at the B'ham airport to fly her to Auburn, Al, for treatment, he said this was the best place to take her, but our vet said she wouldn't last long enough for the trip.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:52 PM

Congrats- 2 years ago I found my dog "Cleo" at a local pound.
She is 50/50 German Sheperd and Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was a timid and scared pup when we found her but we all fell in love w/ her and 2 years later, she is all of 100 lbs and a great family dog that we could not do without.- Steve
Old 10-26-2003, 09:13 PM

I found a picture of my daughter, Michell, feeding Tera with a bottle. She was only ALMOST 5 weeks old when we got her, her mom had some problems, so we spent a few weeks with no sleep, but they where the BEST sleepless nights since my 2 girls where born.
Most of what I have is video, I did find one of Tera, Bud and Kat, but it was AFTER they trashed the living room while "playing". Hey, all 3 of our kids where grown and moved out, we can replace the blinds in the window, the $1500.00 in carpet that Muphasa decided to pull up, the water bed that Tera used as a chew toy because I didn't wake up at 3:00 a.m. to take her out, and the couch and chair that she TOTALLY destroyed the day I left her at home when I had to go to Pensacola.
NO, she was NOT a bad dog, it's just before Kat and I got married, I took Tera with me on all my road jobs, I even had the girls at the motel in Pensacola refuse to give me a room because I didn't bring her. It was that the girls where going to be robbed one day that they where "baby sitting" and Tera raised up from behind the counter, showed her teeth, and the guy RAN for his life.