Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New member to the family!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New member to the family!

Well we fought hard to get this pup. She was in a bad home and not taken care of at all. Heres her story.

Hi my name is Lilu (lee-lu) I am a 13month old American Bull Dog. I was handed off by my owner to a family that was to be my home, but that family was not good to me. After two months I was returned to my owner with marker coloring all over me, under fed and abused. I was locked in a kennel all day without water or food. But the happy note is I am with a family that cares about me now and that is all that matters!

You guy's would not believe what this sweety pie has gone through, man I hate to see animals like this. We picked her up last night with her tail tucked between her legs and shaking. After ten minutes of getting her home we introduced her to out other American Bull dog and Lab. BAM! Tail came out and she played hard, ate food like a horse and opened right up to us. Two nights ago at her old home she would not let me get near her, she growled and even nipped at me twice, I was a little leary at taking her but could not stand to see her in this home. We got home around 11:00 p.m. last night and this morning she woke me up with tons of kisses and a tail wagging so hard, it would of broke your leg! lol.... Anywho just wanted to share the new family member with you all, heres a pic of her below. 8)
Old 10-24-2003, 01:35 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:New member to the family!

Fatten her up, she'll take care of ya.

My Kaley was rescued as well. She's very social, and loves to hunt, loves guns. Only concern about a rescued dog, is that she's very protective. Protective of her food too. Got the food problem pretty much straightened out, but the growling when cars pull up annoys me. Some would like it, but I wasn't looking for a gaurd dog. She's a good time though, and I wouldn't trade her.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:48 PM

both my dogs came from the humane society...my basset hound was abused too....that REALLY burns me up when people gotta hurt a dog...let em come and try and hit someone their own size and see if they like it....best of luck w/ your new family member
Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sure is nice when an animal can forgive and forget what others have done to it. The last rescue I did has a 18 yr old arabian gelding. I had him for the better part of two years while getting him healthy. He went from a shaking bag of bones back to a great rider. He was donated to a rehabilitative center for kids and is now getting lots of TLC. Got my eye on two more.

Good luck with your new family.

Ed
Old 10-24-2003, 02:03 PM

Ed, very interested in a pony. Must be suitable for children. Have a nice trailer, and could travel around Feb if you had any leads. Might consider another horse as well. In case you need help placing one.
Don
Old 10-24-2003, 02:10 PM

[quote author=Redleg link=board=10;threadid=21420;start=0#msg200941 date=1067020556]
......... Protective of her food too. Got the food problem pretty much straightened out......
[/quote]

How did you cure her of this? I had a Rottie that would tear you to pieces if you got too close to his food. Tried everything, never did break him of it. Super good dog other than that.

Congrats on the new dog, 02DSLDOG.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:16 PM

I had a Rottie that protected food and horse feed including the hay, scared me only cuz I worried about him around other people and my kids freinds, never did fix the problem. Long time ago tho.
I did rescue a German Shepard that was neglected for the first 2 years of his life, when he got to my place had no clue what another dog was or how to play. Learned very quickly tho and turned out to be a good dog.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Chapter President

This is our second rescue of American Bull Dogs. This breed is very loving and caring. Our first one we rscued from Friends of pets. She was 7 months old but not as timmed and scared and she has made a great family pet! She is now 4yrs and the best dog I have ever owned, her name is Kadie. I'll try to get a pic of all three dogs together, that should be a challenge for the day!
Old 10-24-2003, 02:25 PM

Might offend some, but shaking. The first couple times she growled at me. I had to refraine(?), and took her food away, making her stay, then giving it back after a couple minutes. This kindof worked, but she growled at Chris(2y.o.) while eating. I shook her and hollared at her, and put her outside without finishing. I've been told this is more effective than hitting a dog, as long as you do it immediatley so they tie the two together. This only took about 2/3 times, and nothing since. She tensed up a couple times when Chris came near while eating, anticipating me coming over. She didn't growel, so she got lots of praise.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Chapter President

Nothing wrong with that Redleg. You must show dominance and who "wears the pants in the family" with pets. I don't believe in hitting a dog but a good sturn voice and thump on the nose with your finger will grab their attention. I was able to get a pic of all three, only took fifteen tries! O.K. you sit and stay and you come hear, no not you, you stay and you come here, no not you, you! My gosh that was a gallenge!

Lilu- American Bull Dog 13months
Kadie- American Bull Dog 4yrs
Yukon- Chocholate Lab 6 1/2 yrs

Since my wife can't have childeren, these are her babies.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:16 PM

I tried shaking with that Rottie. Also hand feeding. Everyone should try feeding a 120 lb. Rottie out of thier hand when his hair is up and he's growling at least once in thier life. It was a battle for years. Very obedient otherwise. Go figure.
My Bernese doesn't even bark when the doorbell rings.....Here's his act...
Old 10-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Chapter President

....I thought you said you had a dog? NOT A HORSE! Wow what a beauty!
How many peeps does it take to get him off the couch so you can sit down???
Old 10-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Good looking pups, there Dog. Things are looking up - - that is good.
Bob
Old 10-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Banned

Wow she is a beautiful dog. My wife and I also take rescue dogs. Last one we got was dragged behind a car for 4 blocks. She spent 8 weeks being rehabbed. She now knows she has a good home and is a very obedient dog. We have a thing for Dalmatians so have rescued some and placed them in good homes. Hope she fits into your household.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:11 PM

[quote author=02DSLDOG link=board=10;threadid=21420;start=0#msg201049 date=1067034452]
....I thought you said you had a dog? NOT A HORSE! Wow what a beauty!
How many peeps does it take to get him off the couch so you can sit down???
[/quote]

All I have to do is open the fridge and he comes runnin' :

Quick Reply: New member to the family!