Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Lawn Tractor Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start searching for a nice, slightly used Dixon ZTR or other lower-level zero turn mower. Provided you don't have to use it for much else, use a ZTR-type mower once, and you'll never go back to a lawn-tractor. Much less wasted time, purpose built for the job, and a whole lot more fun as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM

I like this used commercial mower idea... I'll have to thank you guys when I buy my next mower.

I also do as posted above... I use a 19hp tractor with brush hog to do yard mowing sometimes... When the rider is down or has a flat or something.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
I have had several, JD (the real ones), Craftsman, Ex-Mark, Scag, a few others.

I picked up this current one from a guy in NJ that buys at the auction from off lease mowers. (second one I got from him like this). He buys them cheap, fixes them up if needed then turns a profit.

I have a 60" ExMark turf tracer, got it with 500 hours from him for $2,800. Buy a used commercial mower and it could very well be the last mower you'll ever buy......

Looky here, oh so sweet.....

I have a stupid question how do you end up with the stripes??? I have never cared about yards or mowing but now that we have our own place how do you make it look like that
Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tbarbee1
I have a stupid question how do you end up with the stripes??? I have never cared about yards or mowing but now that we have our own place how do you make it look like that
Commercial mower, most of them just lay down nice directional stripes as they go. Mine are actually pretty lame compared to some (the healthier the grass, the darker/lighter the strip).

I have what they call a Pro-slide on mine, takes the place of a Velkie (or sulky).

Looks like this:

They make a roller than crams the grass down in the direction you are going for most big name mowers too, just a long stainless roller that attached right on the back,underside of the deck.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
P.J
Banned

Most homeowners do what they call the "race track" method. Starting from the outside they go round and round in circles discharging to the outside the whole time.

Once you get into a zero turn you realize how much time and energy is wasted in the turns. I cut 1.8 acres with over 60 trees in about an hour or so.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

i shop vac my yard after mowing(i don't care for all those lines)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Commercial mower, most of them just lay down nice directional stripes as they go. Mine are actually pretty lame compared to some (the healthier the grass, the darker/lighter the strip).

I have what they call a Pro-slide on mine, takes the place of a Velkie (or sulky).

Looks like this:

They make a roller than crams the grass down in the direction you are going for most big name mowers too, just a long stainless roller that attached right on the back,underside of the deck.
We have a DIXON 60 inch cut ZTR I'm curious how the roller or the drag type would do in turns is it hydraulic can you pick it up while turning and does this take more time???
Old 10-22-2007, 01:43 PM
P.J
Banned

Well, I suppose it just drags around, it is FIXED. I think it takes the place of the rear anti-scalps.
Here is one for the Lazer (rider version of mine): http://cgi.ebay.com/Turf-striper-str...QQcmdZViewItem

HERE are some stripes:http://cgi.ebay.com/Turf-Striper-Str...QQcmdZViewItem

I've read where people take conveyor rollers (like you would see on the turns at a UPS/FedEx depot. They are heavy duty enough (and have bearings) for this application.

Anyone else interested can search "Lawnsite" it's the forum I go to when I break my mower. There are a few guys over there who have rigged up homemade stripers.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Sorry for the multiple posts, HERE is what it would look like on a Dixon:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...n+striping+kit
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks PJ.

Monty I didnt mean to hijack your thread are you simply going to be mowing or do you have a need for a Tractor type mower if mowing only definitely try to hold out for a commercial grade ZTR you will never regret it. It took us 8 hrs to weedeat push and ride mow our yard when we got our Dixon it now takes 4 hrs and zero push mowing whoo hoo
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Check the classifieds... I found a nice 52" exmark walk behind for sale a few weeks ago. when i stopped to look at it, it was a year old and had 110 hours and they wanted $900 for it.....

Not a rider,but you can cut a lot of ground fairly quick with that.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by durasmack
Check the classifieds... I found a nice 52" exmark walk behind for sale a few weeks ago. when i stopped to look at it, it was a year old and had 110 hours and they wanted $900 for it.....

Not a rider,but you can cut a lot of ground fairly quick with that.
That's a deal, period. My last two have been "walk" behinds, I haven't walked much at all with either of them....
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
don't go cheap.

i bought a Sears mower - and it works REALLY hard at rough stuff, but the deck is uneven (i might have hit a root & warped it....)

the tranny won't come out of gear (it always moves in neutral)

it just doesn't give you a beautiful yard like PJ is doing.

i had $2k, and paid cash for the Craftsman, i should have paid $2k on a GT 425 John Deere and financed the rest.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM
P.J
Banned

JD does 0% ever once in a while. That is what we did, laid down a few thousand, paid off the rest.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
I've had a JD L111 for 2.5 years with no issues that I got @ home depot. It's actually made by JD.
I have the same mower and the only problem I had was 2 months into it they had to replace a bearing on the deck. Somehow, they couldn't explain it, moisture had gotten into it. But it was covered with the warranty and I haven't had any trouble at all since then. I bought it in March 05 and it is running great still. I use it at home and then I take it to work (work for my dad)every week or so and mow there too. He had a murray that was 8 years old and it quit so I mowed with mine for the rest of the summer. I told him not to worry about getting a new one , that I would just use mine. It has 120 hours on it safter 2.5 years so it should last me a long time. I bought it at HD and used my HD card . They had a no payments, no interest for 12 months if you use your HD card so thats what I did. It cost me 1986 after tax and front bumper attachment. That was bought because my wife said she would mow if I bought the mower. And guess what? It has hit the fence and the side of the house more than a few times.

Quick Reply: New Lawn Tractor Suggestions