Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New guy ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveler767

We also have a "side" sign business, I have trailer that we take along to installations at businesses, car shows, swap meets, etc. and the 3000 watt inverter is perfect and must have for the equipment we use. I used welding cable to wire it up because it was on 97 cents a foot. Where ever you put it, make sure you have hevy gauge wire, a good ground, and don't ground it to the tool box. Also if you ever kill your battery while using the inverter, make sure to turn it off before jumping the vehicle or you'll let the smoke out..
Old 01-02-2006, 05:36 PM

We also have a "side" sign business, I have trailer that we take along to installations at businesses, car shows, swap meets, etc. and the 3000 watt inverter is perfect and must have for the equipment we use. I used welding cable to wire it up because it was on 97 cents a foot. Where ever you put it, make sure you have hevy gauge wire, a good ground, and don't ground it to the tool box. Also if you ever kill your battery while using the inverter, make sure to turn it off before jumping the vehicle or you'll let the smoke out..

Ben....my son was in law enforcement for years, but has been full time in the sign business now for about 6 years. He still works some for the police dept, enough to keep his certification up to date. Take a look at his website discountwoodsigns.com

He started off doing routed wood signs only (thus the name) while he was in the Marine corp, but has gravitated to just about everything including vynal & sandblasted signs. He does craft shows every weekend, march thru nov...and sets up at walmart or k-mart during december every year.

Thanks for the info on the inverter. As I said above...I'm very familiar with the cordless tools, but I have good makita tools and I would rather use what I have...those dewalt cordless tools (the best cordless in IMO) are kinda "spensive"...!

We travel a lot and I'm forever needing to run something on AC for a few minutes. I have a nice little generator but it's not always convenient to fire it up, and I don't take it with me all the time. With the inverter I could just plug sumpin' in so easily.

We ride atv's also...and many times I need some AC when returning to the truck from the back country and needing to work on something...so I think the 3000 watt inverter is the way to go...!

Thanks again for your input...and everyone else who offered information.
chuck
Old 01-02-2006, 09:25 PM

I would be worried about a 3000 watt for $80 dollars. I work at an Industrial supply place and that kind of power would cost you tons. Make sure it gets plenty of air across it also...they can get fairly hot when they cant get air!!!

I think they are great, but you gotta run SOME BIG WIRE for something that big...I think I would try for under the hood so you have a short wire run, and it will benifit from some moving air.