Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New guy ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy ?????

Howdy...I'm new here. I live in Georgia north of Atlanta. Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but if not someone kindly point me in the right direction and I'll find my way.

Question: I would like to install an inverter (changing DC to AC) on my 2001 Ram 3500 flat bed. Need to put the recepticle near the rear of the bed. I'm not sure what size (wattage) inverter to buy. Does anyone know what is safe...will not damage batteries & alternator...? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
chuck
Old 12-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Welcome to DTR! Nice to have you with us

I will let someone with more experience with inverters answer your question, but I wanted to take time to welcome you to the Family and wish you a Happy New Year!

Lary
Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by traveler767
Howdy...I'm new here. I live in Georgia north of Atlanta. Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but if not someone kindly point me in the right direction and I'll find my way.

Question: I would like to install an inverter (changing DC to AC) on my 2001 Ram 3500 flat bed. Need to put the recepticle near the rear of the bed. I'm not sure what size (wattage) inverter to buy. Does anyone know what is safe...will not damage batteries & alternator...? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
chuck
What are you going to be running with the A/C? How many amps?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:08 AM

What are you going to be running with the A/C? How many amps?

Geico266...thanks for replying. Probably nothing heavier than a circular saw from time to time...just to make a few cuts without having to set up the generator. Saw pulls 15 amps. Might run an air compressor for a short time if the need arises...about the same (15) amps. A friend recently bought a new toyota truck and it came standard with a 400 watt inverter with plugs back near thr tailgate...thought that was kinda neat...!
Old 01-01-2006, 07:12 AM

TOP....Happy new year to you...! Thanks for the welcome. My Ram 3500 is almost six years old (2001 bought in may 2000 but is a 2001 model year) and I have never made any mods of any kind, but I am interested in doing it...so I will will be "gleaning info" and asking a lot of questions...!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:20 AM

here's a simple forumla.. amps x volts = watts, so 15 x 120 = 1800+ watts but this is only run power without a load, start up power with this saw could be double,( surge). Northerntool has a 2500 watt model that would be great, but the price is 430.00 ouch! Most units shuts down and warn you with a alarm if the battery voltage gets low, overheated, and pulling to many amps. As for mounting, the most electrical efficient place is closest to the battery, but it has to be dry and well vented, so it has to be installed in the cab, then run you ac to the rear. I never ran a air compressor from mine, they can really pull the amps, i have a propane tank I converted and throw it in the back when needed.

hope this helps, and have a great new year
Old 01-01-2006, 02:50 PM

here's a simple forumla.. amps x volts = watts, so 15 x 120 = 1800+ watts but this is only run power without a load, start up power with this saw could be double,( surge). Northerntool has a 2500 watt model that would be great, but the price is 430.00 ouch! Most units shuts down and warn you with a alarm if the battery voltage gets low, overheated, and pulling to many amps. As for mounting, the most electrical efficient place is closest to the battery, but it has to be dry and well vented, so it has to be installed in the cab, then run you ac to the rear. I never ran a air compressor from mine, they can really pull the amps, i have a propane tank I converted and throw it in the back when needed.

Aviationben...Thanks, it does help. I just needed to know I was heading in the right direction. I have a yamaha 2800i generator that I use for anything that takes much time...I just toss it on the back of the truck, no problem.

My problem is I need to run a saw, drill, etc, etc for a "short" time, simple repair of something from time to time and don't have the generator on the truck. With inverter technology what it is today I though it might be handy to add the inveretr to get out of a jam sometimes...save a lot of time that it takes to run back and get the generator to make one or two saw cuts, or drill a coupla holes.

I was thinking of a 3000 watt inverter...I can pick one up at the flying J for peanuts. I have water tight tool boxes hanging from each side of my flat bed truck and can install the inverter in one of these and open the lid for ventilation when inverter is in use.

Which truck battery would you hook to...is there any difference in demand on the truck batteries...? I would fuse the hook up.
Thanks again for your information...!
chuck
Old 01-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would just invest in a good set of cordless tools. Dewalt makes some nice 18 volt "tool packs" with circular saw, light, drill, sawzall, & charger. Then you can take them right in any house or job site. I've had mine (daily use) for 6-8 years. Check out e-Bay for some really great deals.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 AM

I second that motion !!! Cordless tools have really improved in efficiency over the years and are real handy in lots of places ... your application being one of them.

Although it is kinda nice to run the Margarita machine from the back of the truck after the work is done

Welcome to DTR Traveler767 !!! Hope you stick around a while.

PISTOL
Old 01-02-2006, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the info & advice guy's. Not sure yet which way I will end up going...but all of your input is greatly appreciated...!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Banned

watch those 3000 watt inverters, their continuous output can be a lot less and like mentioned your peak draw can be quite high with a saw, you really need to get ito your saw information to find the peak. then go from there. I would defineately run the truck while using a high draw item. I have a small inverter and it is nice to have, runs the cordless charger nice, as well as other things, christmas lights for the truck, water pump for transfer, and for wehen I am transporting fish I can run the bubbler and a waterpump to keep the water full of O2. Running a full power drop light is nice too for the ocasional roadside check, sure beats a flashlight.... Good spot for the inverter is under the drivers seat, you can easily run power up through the knockout tab in the bottom of the body straight the battery. with the same formula as above remember this, for 3000 watts of power at 12 volts you need 250 amps and 2000 would need 167, I think our alternators are rated for 165?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
I second that motion !!! Cordless tools have really improved in efficiency over the years and are real handy in lots of places ... your application being one of them.

Although it is kinda nice to run the Margarita machine from the back of the truck after the work is done

Welcome to DTR Traveler767 !!! Hope you stick around a while.

PISTOL
Something esle to think of is you can pick-up a lot cheaper inverter to power a charger for the cordless tools if the jobs take a little extra.

Randy
Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 AM

I've got a 2500 watt inverter i picked up at sears a few years ago for like $80 or so IIRC. Right now its mounted in my '93 gasser, but will soon be gravitating over to the cummins. Mine will run a circular saw no problem, but the truck needs to be running to be able to keep up, hence why it is going to get moved, since i don't worry about the cummins idleing all day. Anyways, my inverter runs all kinds of stuff: shop vacs, saws, drill press, lights, once ran a refrigerator when the house power went off. One time when i was in college, i hooked up two batteries together in my truck, and ran everything in my apartment for 4 hours while the power was out. Needless to say, i made some firends that night.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 AM

I have a 750 watt invertor and one time had to try to make a cut with a model 77 skil ( worm drive). I got about 3/4 of the way through the 2x4 before it overheated the circuit and tripped the overload breaker. My guess is that you'd need a minimum of 1500 watts. As mentioned by Geico I have a set of cordless tools (18v) that are great for jobs like that. I have 4 batteries and can get most things done with what I have. The cordless saws are great for ripping down doors. The guide on the cordless will set all the way down to a 0 inch cut. So if you wanted to take a 1/4" off of a door it's perfect. A model 77 skil will only set down to 1-1/2" so I always had to clamp a guide to my work.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:35 PM

EClancy & Spunbearing I am thinking 3000 watt will do what I want. I'm very familiar with the Dewalt cordless tools. My son has a sign business and uses them all the time. I can buy the 3000 watt inverter for about $50-60 and I have all the saws, drills, (makita) misc tools,etc. I just don't think I need to spend several hundred more for cordless when I have everything I need right there on CLYDE (my 3500, short for clydesdale)...!

Quick Reply: New guy ?????