Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New antispyware program from Microsoft free

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hannibal
Anyone running a Mac OS? I've had such good luck with HP and Compaq running Winders, I'm thinking of trying an Apple laptop.
I downloaded Spybot one time. It slowed down my computer to the point I was sure it loaded some spyware. I had to restore my OS to get it all back to speed.

Hey world!!! I look at nekid wemmings on the net!!! Now get over it already!!!
I MISS my Mac. I have to use a OS on this machine that's always been a copy cat of Apple's OS.
I liked looking forward better.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
MS AntiSpyware vs Ad-Aware vs SpyBot

Here's a comparison between the three which I found on SlashDot.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/article...ion=show&id=84
Old 01-09-2005, 12:01 PM

There are legal reasons you'll never see antivirus software geting rid of spyware, but the anitvirus giants are now starting to write seperate antispyware packages.

Right now, no one antispyware program is going to get rid of or catch everything. I've tried over a dozen different packages and each one will find something the others missed. At least with Ad-Aware SE Pro you have the tools to see what's in memory to manually get spyware cleaned off.

Stay away from Spybot.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, since I've switched to Mozilla - the people who originally made Netscape - I've not had one single spyware listing what so ever with Ad-aware and MS's Spyware beta program, but when I used MSIE, I could easily find at least 50 to 100 for one day's usage... Go Figure...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding Spybot, until now I've heard nothing but good things about the program. Just the same though, until I get to the bottom of this talk about it loading spyware onto your computer I've uninstalled it. I downloaded it from PC World. I've always assumed that anything endorsed by PC World was pretty safe.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by ArcticWolf
You know, since I've switched to Mozilla - the people who originally made Netscape - I've not had one single spyware listing what so ever with Ad-aware and MS's Spyware beta program, but when I used MSIE, I could easily find at least 50 to 100 for one day's usage... Go Figure...
Really not a mystery, IE is and has always had terrible security issues. Any other browser would keep your spyware threat to a minium. The people having the most problems are still using the wrong browser.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:13 PM
DPG

My new iBook comes this week!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
Did you note the indictment against SpyBot for adding spyware into your system when you download their spyware program. It loads into your computer the very thing it is killing from other companies. HMMMMM Now, who can you trust?
Do you have a link to a story about this or something? I can't find any references to this at all.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by jfpointer
Do you have a link to a story about this or something? I can't find any references to this at all.
I would like to see a link to the information as well.

I've never heard that SpyBot contained it's own spyware before. In fact, I've heard nothing but praise for the program from multiple sources.

I use both SpyBot and Ad-Aware SE and I maintain a relatively ad-free computer. But if SpyBot is actually harming my system I won't hesitate to remove it.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I feel ripped off here.... I installed the microsoft anti spy software, scanned my computer (I have no existing anti spy software) and after 1277 memory processes scanned, 20049 files scanned, and 8868 registry keys scanned, I had 0 "infected" files. So either microsoft doesn't know spyware, or my computer is well protected.

I am running windows XP with Kerio personal firewall (free software) and McAffee anti virus (pay, with automatic updates) I use netscape 7.2 as my browser although I do have internet explorer installed and set as the default (some courses I am taking don't work with netscape)
Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Chapter President

I already have the MS version running, and installed Ad Aware today. Guess what.....It came up with 77 hits for potential snoopers. Either MS ain't worth a flip, or you need more then one program to filters this drivel out.