Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New antispyware program from Microsoft free

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally posted by TXTad
Even better...run Linux. I've been Microsoft free for five years now.

Tad
Linux is good. I ran it for several years as a server for both http and smtp. I'm not that crazy about it for a workstation though but Lindows and Open.Office will probably change that. Unfortunately it will probably always be in "catch-up" mode to Windows on the workstation side.

It is hard to beat for a server system though but is considerably harder to maintain. It's a myth that it has fewer bugs than Microsoft stuff. I averaged about the same number of patches/updates with Linux (Redhat) as I do with Windows Server stuff. Unfortunately in my business I had to drop Linux and concentrate on Windows because that's what all my clients use.

If I was going to put up an ISP it would be Linux all the way because you don't have to reboot it every other month. My Windows Server 2003 has an occasional memory leak that requires a reboot even when no updates have been installed which usually require a reboot to be safe.

Windows XP SP2 is VERY stable nowadays but I still get the occasional hiccup. It's usually a program that crashes and not XP.

Edwin
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I tried downloading stopzilla to see what it could find and it immediately tried to hijack my homepage and I had to uninstall it

Hoss they all find different stuff because there is no universal list of spyware out there. They can only find what they know what to look for and that changes daily. One program may look for something another doesn't, thats why it is best to use multiple levels of virus and spyware protection.

I don't mean you should have more than one anti virus program installed on your PC, but it doesn't hurt to visit another antivirus website like Symantec or Mcafee and run their free on line test.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 PM

In fact having 2 Anti-Virus programs can crash your system. Don't do it!

Edwin
Old 01-06-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by edwinsmith
Most of what is labeled as "spyware" is simply cookies that are used to track your web surfing habits. The really nasty stuff is actual software that gets loaded to startup and sends out private data and sucks up cpu cycles.

I paid for AdAware SE Pro which includes AdWatch which prevents anything from being installed without my knowledge. That way I don't have to run scans all the time. Well worth the cost. I just wish that the Anti-virus people would take a hint and include spyware scans in their products.

Edwin
I think McAfee is about to take your hint... I run Norton on mine as McAfee locked up alot on my computers for some reason. Others have good luck with McAfee. McAfee is hard to get cleaned out if you decide you don't want to use it anymore. Norton will probably follow suit with an anti spyware program.

http://us.mcafee.com/?wt.mc.n=us_us_..._hom&cid=10348
Old 01-07-2005, 04:05 AM

Get an Apple ---- very few virus and spyware programs attack the Mac OS.

Once you go Mac you wont go back
Old 01-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
SpyButt

Originally posted by FiverBob
Did you note the indictment against SpyBot for adding spyware into your system when you download their spyware program. It loads into your computer the very thing it is killing from other companies. HMMMMM Now, who can you trust?

I keep telling people but no one belives me You get nothing for free.. I have a client and the son keeps downloading SpyBot onto the work server. It has screwed it up many times and it finally destroyed the boot sector on the hard drive ( according to technical support at Western Digital). Also it messed up 2 of the workstations. It would find spyware and ask if you want to delete it, they said yes and it deleted most of the registry. Then it forgot how to boot. The only good thing about this program is at $65.00 hr. I will always have work, I back up all the files every week onto my portable hard drive and take it home. Then it is easy to restore.
Jim.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Anyone use memturbo to free up the ram?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use AdAWare and HiJackThis.... seems to be doing the job so far...
Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by 1st gen Hobie
Anyone use memturbo to free up the ram?
I doubt if that would do any good and will probably slow things down. Windows XP has virtual memory which swaps unused data out to hard disk to make more room. The best way to speed up a PC is add more physical memory which reduces the load on the system having to use virtual memory. Physical ram = fast, hard disk = slow.

Edwin
Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 PM

I use Spybot and Spy Sweeper (both extremely good programs). I loaded up the new M$ version and ran a full scan (all folders, deep scan). Nothing new popped up. I did notice a couple of things.. During the scan, the computer was more responsive, while it would bog down with the other two programs. I've been running it with the Security Agent enabled and noticed the same thing. PC is more responsive than with the other programs.

All in all, not a bad attempt for a first beta (even though it really isn't their own creation).
Old 01-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Oren's Rules of Microsoft:

1. You can always see them coming
2. They never get it right on the first two releases
3. They never go away (unless the market is proven to not exist)

Pretty true, eh?

brandon.
(who works in an all MS dev shop)
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by joefarmer
Oren's Rules of Microsoft:

1. You can always see them coming
2. They never get it right on the first two releases
3. They never go away (unless the market is proven to not exist)

Pretty true, eh?

brandon.
(who works in an all MS dev shop)
You forgot one:

4. Nothing ever ships on schedule, shipping dates are announced to create FUD, not as realistic targets.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Chapter President

I've been using the Microsoft Spyware for a few days now and like it ok. It found one culprit on the the first scan and has notified me of a few others trying to intrude.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:45 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally posted by Begle1
Yay, Linux!

It's a blessing in disguise that there is only one operating system on the planet, Windows. (Yes, I know that there are about 100 different versions, but at least they all are somewhat similar.)

Has anybody gotten DirectX to work on Linux yet? Haven't used it for years, when my buddy had it... I don't know how you folks can manage.
Why should I want to run DirectX under Linux?
I'm running it exclusively and I don't miss the Windows OS. I don't feel it's in catch up mode for a workstation. It may be behind as a game station or as an entertainment center.

AlpineRAM
Old 01-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Memturbo frees up the physical memory that programs use and don't put back. Just like restarting without having to restart. In Windows 98 and ME it makes a huge difference, but it still helps xp a lot.

Quick Reply: New antispyware program from Microsoft free