Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Never thought changing oil would be such a hasstle

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never thought changing oil would be such a hasstle

Little story for those who need something to read <br><br>Last Saturday, its time for my first oil change. I get in the truck and head to town... Never once did it dawn on me that any and every place that sells parts for my truck would be closed. The Cummins shop, the Dodge dealership were all closed. Tried Pep Boys, Auto Zone, no luck... not even oil!!!!! Well after getting a little upset, mostly at myself for not getting this stuff during the week, I started back home.<br><br>Today, Monday, I set out again on the harder-than-should-be task of finding stuff to change my oil. First stop: the Cummins shop. Whip out my piece of paper with the filter number (Fleetguard#) and oil-spec called for in the owners manual. We do not stock that filter... is what I was told... &gt; Well thats just nice huh?!?!? They told me to try another diesel shop down the road so off I went. I stop by this shop and the guy was real friendly and helpful. We popped the hood on my truck and he got the engine code and took a look at the filter in an attempt to make sure we get the right one. We go back inside and he gets on the internet to check the Cummins website for the correct part number... just to be sure. Well, the website is having a database problem and everytime he clicks the link it gives him a error message... :-X I ended up buying my oil there (oil type censored :P ) and getting one of those oil analysis kits to send off. So now I got my oil, still need a filter... Off to the Dodge dealership. Little note here, the Dodge house is extremely pricey and not very friendly IMO, thats why I try to avoid it. I get there and after a 20 minute wait I got a filter with complimentary vasiline.<br><br>Took about about 2.5hrs for the whole run-around... what a PITA.<br><br>Only information that I learned and made the trip somewhat useful was that I can get a fuel filter for $40 cheaper at the cummins shop than from dodge!!!! I made him double check if it was for a 2003 and it was $10 after tax ;D (dodge was $48)<br><br>Must learn to plan ahead
Old 07-14-2003, 01:12 PM

Re:Never thought changing oil would be such a hasstle

Just wait until you try to get the filter off
Old 07-14-2003, 01:19 PM

I think I was a lucky one there. I read about a few others that had some trouble but it wasn't on there super tight No broken wrenches or bloody knuckles ;D. Well I did take the intake system off to reach the oil filter, not sure if anyone else does that but IMO it makes it very easy to do. I did have the semi-loose drain plug though... but not anymore
Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Chapter President

I had a similar expieriance the first time I changed mine, with one catch ;D----<br><br> I crawled under my truck with all my supplies picked up here and there and fighting the truck to get it on level ground (driveway on a hill )....then.....I noticed the drain plug. I thought dang it, I don't own a socket like that. I walked over to my neighbors to see if he has oneee..... wait...a ....sec :-[ :-[ I do have one of those... :on the end of my ratchet!!! :-[ :-[
Old 07-14-2003, 01:48 PM

Gentlemen, you can get everything you need sitting right at your PC; www.genosgarage.com is one place I buy from. I buy filters by the case!

{edit}

BTW, it shouldn't be a hassle at all. With a drain valve instead of the oil plug, you should be able to change the oil and filter in about 15-20 minutes. You're right though about the first filter change..... &gt; &gt; &gt;
Old 07-14-2003, 03:38 PM

If I were you, I'd go to the Cummins dealer and ask them to order the true blue Stratapore filter for you (part #LF16035). I called mine and they were out but expected another shipment within days...I bought six of them when they arrived for $12.22 each including shipping. Now I've got another five on the shelf with a case of gallon jugs of Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 ready to go for the next time - with no running around
Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 AM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=10;threadid=17064;start=0#159790 date=1058208539]<br>BTW, it shouldn't be a hassle at all. With a drain valve instead of the oil plug, you should be able to change the oil and filter in about 15-20 minutes.<br>[/quote]<br><br>That's the first thing I learned after the first oil change. Get a drain valve!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:02 AM

I always called Cummins locally and had them order me 4 oil filters and 4 fuel filters. Kept them in my shop and never had to worry about running out, they will even ship them to your house.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:29 AM

[quote author=XTOAK link=board=10;threadid=17064;start=0#159815 date=1058215104]
...I bought six of them when they arrived for $12.22 each including shipping.........[/quote]

Oooo, I think you took a hit there XTOAK. You can get the Fleetguard LF16035 online for under 9 bucks. (BTW, the FS19579 fuel filter is under 13). Then again, if $12.22 was with shipping, you were probably close.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:32 AM

GEEENNNOOOSSS!!! GGGEEENNNOOOSSS!!! (Genos garage)<br>Great service and great prices..
Old 07-15-2003, 11:59 AM

Naw, didn't get took at all. We're talking Alaska, not the continental United States. Shipping to Alaska is alot more than one would think as we don't have UPS Ground service to Alaska so you end up paying for UPS Blue or Red Label which can double the cost of some items. We've got Priority Mail to Alaska but it can also add alot of shipping cost to an item or items plus it adds more time to the shipment.<br><br>I know alot you folks swear by Geno's (and from what I've read they're a fine company) but I'd rather look the guy in the eye when I'm making a purchase and if I have any problems I know he'll stand behind his product. I once ordered a batch of filters for my company and the threads were messed up...the online company whom I purchased them from argued they were fine when they went out and that we must have totally messed up twelve filters. We ended up eating those and I didn't have someone local to strangle for therapy. <br><br>Plus that, if I overpaid by a few cents, who cares as I'm always able to pick up good advice from the service/parts guys on my Cummins - and they threw in a free strap wrench!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:46 PM

Will my Fleetguard fuel filters from my 24valve 98 work on my 03? Looks like the fuel canister is diffrent, but assume the filter is the same. What is the Fleetguard # for the 03? Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 09:53 AM

Fleetguard fuel filter #LF16035. Was at Cummins yesterday and if I'm not mistaken your fuel filter is a screw on type as opposed to the cartridge type ... then again I wasn't paying that much attention to anything that I didn't need.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:30 AM

[quote author=oakleaf link=board=10;threadid=17064;start=0#160212 date=1058298384]
Will my Fleetguard fuel filters from my 24valve 98 work on my 03? Looks like the fuel canister is diffrent, but assume the filter is the same. What is the Fleetguard # for the 03? Thanks
[/quote]

The filter is a different number for the '00-'03, FS19579 instead of your FS19598. Don't know if the form factor is the same though. The '79 snaps into the lid of the filter which then screws into the canister.

[quote author=converteddzlr link=board=10;threadid=17064;start=0#160522 date=1058367214]
Fleetguard fuel filter #LF16035. Was at Cummins yesterday and if I'm not mistaken your fuel filter is a screw on type as opposed to the cartridge type ... then again I wasn't paying that much attention to anything that I didn't need.
[/quote]

The number you quoted is for an '03 OIL filter which of course is a screw on type.

Old 07-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Banned

I get my oil and filter at O'Reily's. $30 for 3 gallons of Rotella T and a Wix filter. I know. I know. I'm going with Fleetguard next oil change.

Quick Reply: Never thought changing oil would be such a hasstle